Filled up on Shell V-Power with Nitrogen this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: rshunter
Originally Posted By: Russell
Ran two tanks of v-power 93 through my BMW and no change-nada! I went back to Chevron Supreme 93Ii had been using. Also the Chevron stations are on my normal commute route.

There certainly is an abundance of Chevron stations in KY, isn't there? I always get the sense that if I turn around too quickly I'm going to fall face-first onto a Chevron forecourt.

In any case, Chevron is another "Top Tier" provider. I wouldn't expect any great gains comparing one "Top Tier" fuel to another, since they all adhere to a higher standard for deposit control.

Cheers

Chevron was Standard Oil Co. (Calif) and acquired Standard Oil Co. Kentucky in the 1960s, hence the tons of Chevrons in KY.

You need the Nitrogen in your tires to get the full benefit....
banana2.gif

I'm not too sure WHY Shell went to this kind of marketing campaign.

I believe that the nitrogen is a form of amine, related to the very same PEA (PEA is the most effective detergent when it comes to cleaning carbon desposits from fuel systems) that is a detergent used in a number of high quality fuel system cleaners, like Regane and Red line, I t hink they actually CONFUSE the customer with this "nitrogen" talk gibberish. The first question of a moderately informed driver is will this clean my fuel system as well as a "detergent" like techron?

Bad move on Shell's part, waste of money IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ffracer
Chevron was Standard Oil Co. (Calif) and acquired Standard Oil Co. Kentucky in the 1960s, hence the tons of Chevrons in KY.

Yeah, I know. The whole break-up of the Standard Oil empire also gave us Standard Oil of Ohio, which was known as Sohio. British Petroleum bought them, and now we've got BP stations out the wazoo...

Ain't it great that the US government is always looking out for our well being? After all, we must ensure American companies don't get so big that they can't be bought by a foreign company.

Originally Posted By: Westerly
I'm not too sure WHY Shell went to this kind of marketing campaign.

I believe that the nitrogen is a form of amine, related to the very same PEA (PEA is the most effective detergent when it comes to cleaning carbon desposits from fuel systems) that is a detergent used in a number of high quality fuel system cleaners, like Regane and Red line, I t hink they actually CONFUSE the customer with this "nitrogen" talk gibberish. The first question of a moderately informed driver is will this clean my fuel system as well as a "detergent" like techron?

Bad move on Shell's part, waste of money IMO.

Most people haven't a clue what nitrogen is. They'll recall having seen and heard about it being beneficial, but for what, they'll have no idea. They will simply see it as something no other fuel company claims to use, which then differentiates Shell gasolines even more from those of their competitors.

As I see it, it's a marketing triumph. Shell has managed to capitalize on all the money spent by other entities to promote nitrogen as a wonder element. Others have effectively laid the foundation for Shell's promotional campaign.

Imagine how much it cost Chevron to promote Techron, a name which was unknown before Chevron introduced it. Want to bet a lot more people have the perception that nitrogen is a great thing to have, over something called Techron. I'd put money on it, and so has Shell...

Cheers

Unfortunately there are lots of dim witted people out there.

I find the "nitrogen" campaign to be patronizing and insulting, even though I do think they make a quality product.

I noticed that Shell uses radically different marketing campaigns from country to country. The US content seems to be dumbed down and simplified, or am I incorrect.

Originally Posted By: Westerly
I noticed that Shell uses radically different marketing campaigns from country to country. The US content seems to be dumbed down and simplified, or am I incorrect.

You're not far off. When I was in Germany I was amazed by how in-depth ads explained things but here its just bright colors, a slogan/jingle and then a loud noise.

I honestly don't care about the campaign, but the Corolla's ping issue has been reduced running this fuel for the past 1K miles. I could have had the same result before the "nitrogen" campaign but never used Shell exclusively before.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
Originally Posted By: axjohn
Originally Posted By: Neil_A
I am running 89 in my Grand Prix and I noticed a bump of 1-2 mpg. Could be from less KR though. Besides the 2 point octane bump your getting more detergents from the 70/30 blend of 87/93 vpower.

I've interested in this a long time! Where did you get the info that a 70/30 blend of 87/93 equals 89 octane? I habitually do a 50-50 blend thinking THAT was 89!

Not highjacking, just curious if someone has a formula so I could be more precise at fill up. My oil stash is full and I need something else to obsess about!

87x0.70=60.9 + 93x0.30=27.9 = 88.8 which is pretty close to 89. Might be more like 69/31 :)

Thanks! I'll have to modify the amounts a bit, since the highest octane we have here in KA LI 4 KNEE UH is 91 (discounting racing fuel).

I'm too lazy right now to figure out the exact mix, but I was hoping to keep it to a 10 gallon total. Might just use 7 of regular to 4 of premium; that would be.

Duh: figured it out! 5 gallons of 87 plus 5 gallons of 91 does equal 89!
Nevermind!

I have been using Shell gasoline exclusively for a few years now and this new "nitrogen" gasoline performs no differently in my vehicles than their non-[censored] marketing gasoline did.

So all you people saying the new Shell formula is B S have looked at your valves and found them not cleaner?

Isn't the major thrust of the new gasoline....cleanliness?

Originally Posted By: tenderloin
So all you people saying the new Shell formula is B S have looked at your valves and found them not cleaner?

Isn't the major thrust of the new gasoline....cleanliness?

The people who post to this forum are self-selecting who probably have valves already cleaner then squeaky clean, and probably can't get cleaneed more.

People on this thread are saying that this advertising from Shell is [censored], but just HOW MANY people on this thread and others are 'trying this gas out'?

I'd say its a success!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
People on this thread are saying that this advertising from Shell is [censored], but just HOW MANY people on this thread and others are 'trying this gas out'?

I'd say its a success!

The real question is how many of those that like trendy tag lines and pitches will actually CONTINUE to use it after the first tankful?
28.gif

I run the "new" shell gas, but then again since shell is priced the same as all the other gas around here, it is the only gas I've run in my mazda since I bought it back in 07. I haven't noticed anything different with the "new" gas versus the old gas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I have been using Shell gasoline exclusively for a few years now and this new "nitrogen" gasoline performs no differently in my vehicles than their non-[censored] marketing gasoline did.

I have noticed a difference.Probably made a change in their additives.

I bought a tank of 87 octane Shell gas with nitrogen last week. I could tell right away that it made a noticeable improvement in both performance and MPG. My truck is running great with it. This tank has lasted longer or maybe it is burned slower than other fuels I have used.

I'll keep using it and see how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back