Filled up on Shell V-Power with Nitrogen this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I have been trying the new shell for a a few tanks now.

It seems I get about 20-25 more miles a tank with Shell.

If I do get one MPG more with this gas all the time on shell, I may have to stop going to the BP station!!!

I am running 89 in my Grand Prix and I noticed a bump of 1-2 mpg. Could be from less KR though. Besides the 2 point octane bump your getting more detergents from the 70/30 blend of 87/93 vpower.

Good planning on Shell's part to introduce their new marketing at a time when summer blend also comes back online to increase the mpgs.

Originally Posted By: cp3
That's where I got mine, never even noticed the banners.
blush.gif
It was 6am though.

I don't think I'll see a big enough difference in mileage to make up for the 19 cents/liter cost difference!

I haven't been back in some time and was planning on making it to KW today but my schedule changed at the last minute so I won't be there till next week. (My schedule sometimes changes by the hour)
shocked2.gif

I was going to post pictures here.

I think the one banner was on the sign near the road.

This is the one with the Tim Hortons inside right?

I'm supposed to be in KW tomorrow not far from that station... I will try to remember to take a picture.

Cheers,

Steve

Originally Posted By: cp3
StevieC,

I just filled with V-Power this morning and will be tracking my results. I'm comparing it to my regular Sunoco 87 octane fill ups. I want to see if there is any difference because of the 100% gasoline instead of the E10.

I'm doing the same thing.
Switched to the V-power from the Shell bronze E10 blend.
No idea if this is the new Nitrogen stuff but so far there has been an increase in economy.
Haven't done the math to see if the increase offsets the price difference of 10 cents per litre.
5x Airmiles promo on the V-power is nice though!

Originally Posted By: Rabbler
No
It states right on the pump V-Power has no ethanol.

Is this just in Canada? I'll have to look more closely next time I go to Shell.

All the Shell pumps in Canada that I have been to say the following:

Bronze - (Regular) may contain up to 10%
Silver - (Middle) may contain up to 5%
Gold - (Top) Contains 0%

I got this gas in my wifes honda and it seemed to work fine. Got it in my wrangler jk and yesterday when going up hills had detonation and pinging! Im going to go to a different station and get the plus to raise the octaine a little bit in the tank and see if it goes away but I think maybe the station got a bad batch??

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Originally Posted By: Rabbler
No
It states right on the pump V-Power has no ethanol.

Is this just in Canada? I'll have to look more closely next time I go to Shell.

In the US, it depends if your area is mandated by the EPA to use oxygenated fuel. Since MTBE is pretty much banned in alot of areas, ethanol is added. Even in areas not required, many teminals will still distribute E10. That's why some pumps say "may" contain up to 10% ethanol.

Originally Posted By: Neil_A
I am running 89 in my Grand Prix and I noticed a bump of 1-2 mpg. Could be from less KR though. Besides the 2 point octane bump your getting more detergents from the 70/30 blend of 87/93 vpower.

I've interested in this a long time! Where did you get the info that a 70/30 blend of 87/93 equals 89 octane? I habitually do a 50-50 blend thinking THAT was 89!

Not highjacking, just curious if someone has a formula so I could be more precise at fill up. My oil stash is full and I need something else to obsess about!

First tank of new Shell in my F-150, 87 and Navigator, 91. No difference on the Navigator but a slight performance increase with the F-150. I'm going to run the new shell for awhile. No mileage increase.

Originally Posted By: axjohn
Originally Posted By: Neil_A

I've interested in this a long time! Where did you get the info that a 70/30 blend of 87/93 equals 89 octane? I habitually do a 50-50 blend thinking THAT was 89!

Not highjacking, just curious if someone has a formula so I could be more precise at fill up. My oil stash is full and I need something else to obsess about!

87x0.70=60.9 + 93x0.30=27.9 = 88.8 which is pretty close to 89. Might be more like 69/31 :)

Ran two tanks of v-power 93 through my BMW and no change-nada! I went back to Chevron Supreme 93Ii had been using. Also the Chevron stations are on my normal commute route.

Originally Posted By: Russell
Ran two tanks of v-power 93 through my BMW and no change-nada! I went back to Chevron Supreme 93Ii had been using. Also the Chevron stations are on my normal commute route.

There certainly is an abundance of Chevron stations in KY, isn't there? I always get the sense that if I turn around too quickly I'm going to fall face-first onto a Chevron forecourt.

In any case, Chevron is another "Top Tier" provider. I wouldn't expect any great gains comparing one "Top Tier" fuel to another, since they all adhere to a higher standard for deposit control.

Cheers

Originally Posted By: axjohn

My oil stash is full and I need something else to obsess about!

crackmeup2.gif

Oh, you too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back