Filled up on Shell V-Power with Nitrogen this week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
You probably have a Knock sensor and this is why... It adjusts the spark timing for the increased octane.

In vehicles not equipped with this you should see little to no change.

Just my experiences...

Actually, I should have said that was in comparison to other premium grade 93 octane fuels. All my cars recommend premium, and I always use it.

Been using the new Nitrogen gas for a while, used it almost exclusively on my trip from OH to TX this past weekend, great MPG and the Impreza felt good. Back home, the Legacy gets it as well. It's the cheapest gas around here, so why not? They also do the 5 cents fuel saver card discount on top of that. Heck, if there is zero difference, I don't care, it's still inexpensive fuel to me :)

I took this photo at Shell this morning, all three grades:

Photo-0016.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KA426
I used up the whole tank and reloaded and I've gotta say its been a long time since my truck has idled so smooth or felt like its had so much under the hood. It just seems to be a small notch above other gases I've tried. The only problem is I have to drive to the gun shop and go shopping for ammo in another town in order to get this gas. This is the closest Shell to me so it's not very economical to drive to another town to get gas. I'v got a good stock of ammo now so this will sadly be my last load of Shell for a while. All my town has is "cheap" gas.

So, you were going to Shell and buying shells also?

Originally Posted By: 21Rouge

I had emailed Shell Canada a week ago and got this reply:

Thank you for your message. You are absolutely right; the announcement is for the United States of America. The New Nitrogen Enriched Gasoline has been introduced exclusively to the American market.

Sincerely,

Shell Customer Service Centre

It's in Kitchener/Waterloo area because they have Banners up stating it... I asked them in the Kiosk and was told they are a test market...

21.gif

So I emailed right back Shell Canada and got this response today:

I have sent an e-mail to the territory manager in that area. I was informed that the new Nitrogen Enriched gasoline will be available in Canada very soon; however, the promotional campaign will be launched in a couple of weeks.

Thank you for your interest in our products and for your patience.

Last edited:
??? Don't know what to tell you... I'm supposed to be in Kitchener next week and I will take a picture of the banner at the station.

21.gif

??? Don't know what to tell you... I'm supposed to be in Kitchener next week and I will take a picture of the banner at the station.

21.gif

No I think that latest email from Shell acknowledges the nitrogen formulation will/has come to Canada.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smokey1
thanks . ;- ) .

No problem, I took this picture because I had heard that it may or may not be all three grades.

As soon as Shell Nitrogen fuels came out - everyone started telling me about them (I'm the only one I know locally that is an engine oil enthusiast).

I've been running it non-stop for about 2 weeks now. 91 V-power.

Yes, the engine idles smoother and taking off with lower rpms seems easier (not as much lugging). Yes, engine has a Knock sensor (04 Sunfire 2.2L Ecotec).

At first I recorded .2mpg better on my 1.5 hour drive (96 miles) both ways. But this was because I was treating the gas lighter trying to "feel" the new fuel I think because MPG has returned to normal.

However, the idle and the 0-10mph is a lot smoother. Engine is definitely "happier" imo.

Around where I live - Los Angeles, CA (to Apple Valley, CA) - Shell is same price as everyone else.

Speaking of fuel... I was at a station the other day and was filling up my SUV (takes a while), and this guy rolls up in a 90's Toyota Corolla, gets out and fills his gas tank, then opens the trunk and fills up about 10x 20 litre or so Gas cans. (was a good price that day), goes inside pays and drives off (End of the car was quite low).

I laughed my arse off because he was there the whole time I pumped, got a coffee and a car wash and was just finishing after I came out of the car wash.
LOL.gif

What some people will do for a deal!

I filled up at a Shell gas station/truck garage in Clearfield, PA yesterday and I asked the manager about the nitrogen in the gas. I wanted to know if I needed to purchase the 93 V-Power to get it or if it was in all the grades and she replied that the nitrogen cleaners were in all three grades.

All the documentation I've seen has mentioned it's in all grades of their gas. However I believe they do the same thing Chevron does with the Techron, and use a higher dosage in their higher octane "premium" fuel. I believe Chevron mentions this on their website, and you can see it in the Shell documentation too:

"In addition, Shell V-Power® premium gasoline provides maximum protection with the highest concentration of the Nitrogen Enriched cleaning system and more than five times the minimum amount of cleaning agents required by federal government standards."

You can find the rest of the press release here: http://www.shell.us/home/content/usa/abo...gen_030209.html

Speaking of fuel... I was at a station the other day and was filling up my SUV (takes a while), and this guy rolls up in a 90's Toyota Corolla, gets out and fills his gas tank, then opens the trunk and fills up about 10x 20 litre or so Gas cans. (was a good price that day), goes inside pays and drives off (End of the car was quite low).

I laughed my arse off because he was there the whole time I pumped, got a coffee and a car wash and was just finishing after I came out of the car wash.
LOL.gif

We have done this a few times as well, back when things were tough going businesswise. We have a Shell fleet card and also a chevron one. The chevron requires you to pay the entire balance monthly, while shell only requires a minimum payment due. Which is nice if cashflow is tight.
The shell station here is almost 50 miles away, so maybe the things mentioned above has something to do with it?

Originally Posted By: 3Toyotas

LOL.gif

We have done this a few times as well, back when things were tough going businesswise. We have a Shell fleet card and also a chevron one. The chevron requires you to pay the entire balance monthly, while shell only requires a minimum payment due. Which is nice if cashflow is tight.
The shell station here is almost 50 miles away, so maybe the things mentioned above has something to do with it?

As long as he doesn't get rear-ended on his way back...
frown.gif

StevieC,

Which station in K/W did you see the banners?

Are you using the V-Power for your test or just comparing brands?

I just filled with V-Power this morning and will be tracking my results. I'm comparing it to my regular Sunoco 87 octane fill ups. I want to see if there is any difference because of the 100% gasoline instead of the E10.

That's where I got mine, never even noticed the banners.
blush.gif
It was 6am though.

I don't think I'll see a big enough difference in mileage to make up for the 19 cents/liter cost difference!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back