Fiat Barchetta oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok then, thank you for answers.

I may use it next summer, will keep 0W40 for the winter
smile.gif

I thought I remember seeing in some Shell pdf that they advised not to use it in gasoline engine, but I can't remember where, and it was more "there's better Shell oil for gasoline engine" than a real piece of advice.
I also wondered if it could be too detergent or too SAPS heavy, but I guess ~1% vs 1,9% doesn't make much of a difference in such an engine?

PS: after a few time of "adjustment" (I guess), Rimula did very well in my Marea, turbo was more responsive and spinning much more quicker in the rev range (I suppose it did some cleaning).

Originally Posted By: chrisri
In my experience with 1.8 vvt, 2.0 vvt and AR 16v Twin Spark engines hydro lifters and variators seems happier and less noisy with 5w40 oil.

It was general consensus in Alfa community back in a day that oil coking led to a bearing failures. Those engines had a tubular exhaust manifolds, and theory is that after shutdown oil in the galleries would get very hot. Eventually passages would shut down.

I agree, 5w40 worked very well in combination with the VVT. You could shut up a noisy variator at times. I had particular success with Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 (with active cleaning ingredients, it said on the bottle).

I wish I tried a high HTHSv 5w30 or 0w30 in it though...

I'm not convinced by the muffler theory. Fact is that #3 and #4 conrod bearings are the last to receive oil from the galleries and in case of low supply the first to go without. Th muffler was under the sump which should hold a nice bit of oil between the conrods and the sump surface, if the level was correct. Too low oil levels would increase the chance of bearings running dry, and the 20k km oci is rather long IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back