Opinions Welcome Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is unique and makes a statement. I drove one for a week as a rental (500 Sport with about 25K miles). Noisy, insubstantial feel to the body parts, funky dash. Like I said, it makes a statement. It was quick enough and did handle well. For the money, my 3 feels like a Cadillac by comparison and gets better gas mileage.

It is my understanding that the current 500 is a relatively reliable car. Honestly, though, it feels like a throwback to me. It does not ride or sound like a 21st century car. Maybe that is what the buyers want. It reminded me an awful lot of driving my parents' 1975 Corolla. (Which was a very durable, reliable car.)

Originally Posted By: neevers
I'm sure the quality is worse than Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, and Kia, but probably on par with VW.

What makes you so sure? Unless you've owned one for 5+ years, you're just guessing.

Also, the quality of some of the Ford or Chevy vehicles has been questionable at best, so it's not that hard to beat.

Tripped 3000 miles on mine yesterday, wife's has 850 miles on it. Zero issues on either car. I am getting 42 MPG with mine.

@ Pablo- The Abarth and 500T both spec 5W40 Synthetic. From what I can tell, the factory fill appears to be PU. And no reason to pay anthing over MSRP on an Abarth, some dealers will even discount a couple hundred under MSRP but that is about it. They have a relatively high demand and only 3,000 Abarths are imported each year, so they hold their prices. You can save $2,000 and qualify for rebates with the 500T (which is the base Abarth in Europe- our Abarth is called the Abarth Esseesse over there.)

The non turbo models spec 5W30. No idea what the factory fill is for these models. I'm still pondering choices, but I'll pick one and stick with it, Just waiting for the oil change due warning light to come on- the light comes on at 300 miles before the oil needs to be changed. It can come on at either 3700 or 7700 miles depending on driving conditions. No idea what will happen on that yet.

As far as quality, I we have no complaints at all- everything feels solid, and the panel gaps on these cars are among the best, most uniform I have ever seen. In comparison, if I hadn't known better, I would have thought my Mini had been wrecked- the panel gaps were a disaster.

Last edited:
RE: fuel economy. The 1.4 engines are the big blocks of the range. They are not intended for fuel economy although they will return 6.5l/100km with mixed use. Fiat provide smaller petrol and turbo diesel engines if you are looking for economy but I guess they have decided 1.4L petrol is the only engine they could likely sell in the USA.

I don't have any opinion on the Fiat but I still can't get that smokin hot Italian chick out of my head.
smile.gif

I kinda like the way they look. I've never driven one, but a guy at work has one and he seems to like it. Its small enough without looking odd like a smartcar.

Did you actually test drive many other cars in the same class as the 500?

Where do I get my notions of it being a terrible value?

I get it from this: Fiats HORRIBLE reputation for the worse quality from Europe. It is it's bottom of the barrel reputation that speaks volumnes about what to expect from their cars. Their history in the USA and everywhere else is Self Evident.

$20,000+ for a nicely equiped? Really?!?!?!

Some speak of it's "passion" and owning one that "makes a statement"...Passion is just a PC word for [censored], and the statement it makes? It is this statement that it makes for it's owners: "I didn't do my homework and I failed to consider other better competing cars, and I do not care about value and my financial future".

Those that ignore the past are condemned to buying it.

Owning a 500 is indefensible, to be sure.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lovcom

I would ask why you are so angry with Fiat, but I really don't give a dang nabbit one way or another what you think about Fiat.

My gf bought a Blue 2012 Fiat Sport back on Sept 3rd, 2011, and loved it for ~7k miles, when she traded it in on June 13th 2012 for a Black 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth, which has ~6k miles on it now.

She absolutely loves it.
The 500 Sport was bought in Texas, and driven back to Colorado, and it was incredibly comfortable for both of us in it. Great car.

The Abarth, back in early October, we drove all over Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, visiting the Grand Canyon, and other places, while participating in the Fiat 500 Abarth Driving Experience at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix, AZ, that you get as an owner of a Fiat 500 Abarth. Fantastic drive, and not any of the things you seem to think that it is.

In fact, neither car burned a single drop of oil during their oil change intervals, nor on the cross country trips.

Since you have a prejudice about Fiat, your opinions, hopefully, have less of an impact on forum members that are thinking about buying a Fiat, compared to those of us who have actually put our money where our mouths are, and have real ownership experience.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I would ask why you are so angry with Fiat, but I really don't give a dang nabbit one way or another what you think about Fiat.

My gf bought a Blue 2012 Fiat Sport back on Sept 3rd, 2011, and loved it for ~7k miles, when she traded it in on June 13th 2012 for a Black 2012 Fiat 500 Abarth, which has ~6k miles on it now.

She absolutely loves it.
The 500 Sport was bought in Texas, and driven back to Colorado, and it was incredibly comfortable for both of us in it. Great car.

The Abarth, back in early October, we drove all over Colorado, Utah, and Arizona, visiting the Grand Canyon, and other places, while participating in the Fiat 500 Abarth Driving Experience at Firebird Raceway in Phoenix, AZ, that you get as an owner of a Fiat 500 Abarth. Fantastic drive, and not any of the things you seem to think that it is.

In fact, neither car burned a single drop of oil during their oil change intervals, nor on the cross country trips.

Since you have a prejudice about Fiat, your opinions, hopefully, have less of an impact on forum members that are thinking about buying a Fiat, compared to those of us who have actually put our money where our mouths are, and have real ownership experience.

BC.

BC-I think I recognize you from the 500 Owner's Board.

Not that it matters, but I didn't look at anything else. Yes, there are lots of other "cookie cutter" cars out there, I did not want one.

As far as people dissing the Fiat, if you don't have any experience with one, you are just blowing air out of your backside. Fiat just sold their millionth 500 since 7-4-2007. They couldn't have sold that many if they were that bad.

Lovcom probably owns a Camry- reliable as the day is long and equally as boring-both to look at and to drive.

Last edited:
Where do I get my notions of it being a terrible value?

I get it from this: Fiats HORRIBLE reputation for the worse quality from Europe. It is it's bottom of the barrel reputation that speaks volumnes about what to expect from their cars. Their history in the USA and everywhere else is Self Evident.

Well you're wrong, Fiat has made great strides in quality control and what was 20 years ago is in no way "self-evident" today...

Quote:

Indefensible because you don't like it...

Last edited:
OK so I attended a National Fiat track event last weekend. There were a number of Fiat Abarth 500s. It was hot as [censored], 38-39C and high humidity. One of these little 500s died a horrible death, cooked and boiled so bad it had no compression. However it did not run a bearing. It had an aftermarket "hot" air induction, collecting air off the top of the engine and a few other gizzmos. The oil used is probably irrelevent but it was Shell Helix 15w50 which is a high mileage synthetic blend. The main problem most people noticed was a lack of ventilation to the radiators at the front.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: Vikas
I like the girl in the Fiat 500 Abarth commercial :) What more reason does one need to buy that car??

Any girl who slaps me can get her own latte and her own car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back