Opinions Welcome Fiat 500

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Timing belt inspections are called for every 37,000 instead of replacement every 30,000. Some reports call for timing belt replacement at 78,000 miles. Some report as long as 152,000 miles
21.gif

I like the Fiats. Just not certain I would trust any timing belt for 152,000 miles.

According to the owners manuals, the timing belts are due for change at the 152k mile mark. No "inspections" are listed.

This goes for both the turbo and non-turbo cars.

The cam belt turns 1 camshaft, so there's less turns that cause wear to it. Its a small engine with a low-ish rpm limit, unlike timing belts on engines that rev considerably higher, like on my Ducati.

I see no reason why the belt will break before the 152k mark.
Only time will tell, though. And if someone's truly concerned, they can replace it early. It's not as hard, as say, changing the belt on a PT Cruiser.

BC.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter

I see no reason why the belt will break before the 152k mark.
Only time will tell, though. And if someone's truly concerned, they can replace it early. It's not as hard, as say, changing the belt on a PT Cruiser.

BC.

33.gif
No kidding.

I bought the Gates kit. American belt, Canadian tensioner, Japanese idler and
mad.gif
Chinese water pump.

I'm leaving that in for the rest of the time that I own the PT....unless the china pump gives.

My X1/9s were not easy
lol.gif
...and they were single cam. 'course they were in the other end of the car.

Originally Posted By: Bladecutter
Originally Posted By: Pablo
What MPG is advertised for the Abarth? What MPG did you yield?

Ratings are 28 city and 34 highway.

Our trip wasn't very speed limit friendly, but we averaged between 34 and 38 per tank.

BC.

A turbo that gets 28-34. Woot!!!

I really like the Abarth a lot! I think the 500 in general is a pretty cool little car. It was just a little too small for the wife when she needed a new car. So instead she went with a Mazda 2. And some of that decision was my doing as well. We've had outstanding good luck with Mazdas for the past 7 years.
A flawless running Mazda 3, same with the MX-5, and her Mazda 2 is just a lot of fun to toss around and its even a decent performer on road trips too.
Back to the Fiat.....I like their color combo's and I've heard good things about them so far. In a couple years if I decide to ditch the MX-5 I may try out an Abarth.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I like the girl in the Fiat 500 Abarth commercial :) What more reason does one need to buy that car??

She reminds me of the old Lincoln/Mercury slogan: the shape you want to be in.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I like the girl in the Fiat 500 Abarth commercial :) What more reason does one need to buy that car??

Does she come with the car?

Vikas said:

My introduction to the Fiat at the Detroit Auto Show (nice car
crazy2.gif
):
img1065jg.jpg

Based on what, they seem to have some good tech, ie the multi air system rolling out on the Fiat and Chrysler engines.

Originally Posted By: G35_TX
Fiat = Failure in Automotive Technology

My buddies wife has one with a 5spd and they love it. They took it to a fiat gathering in Virginia and got to test drive an abarth, he said if she would have wanted to trade her 500 in on one, he would have went for it, he said it was a fun little car. I'd like one myself, but would have to wait for the 500L to come out as we need the extra room

Went and looked at the Abarth today - only had a limited time. I must say the fit and finish are nice. Didn't have time to drive but they had 5 or 6 Abarths and tons of other 500's.

http://www.fiatofkirkland.com/

Here's my gripe so far. Seemed like the whole list price heaped together was $27K. AND the dealer tacks on $5K!! I asked what the $5K was all about. Answer: They're quite popular.

Uggh.

OP asks for "opinions".

Here is mine. The Fiat 500 is a horrible value. What is there to like? Fiat is always bottom of the barrell in quality, the 500 is very small, it is loud, it burns oil, it is expensive for what you get. It is very expensive for what you get? It does not get class leading MPG either.

There are many other cars that are far better get higher MPG, are less expensive, and are a lot more dependable then the Fiat 500.

Why would anyone buy one?!?!? It's almost as if one has to have a character flaw to actually buy one because it does not make any sense.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HyundaiGuy
Hi All,

First, I need to figure out how to switch my screen name.

I bought a 2009 Mini Cooper S Clubman from my in laws. After living with it for a while, I became scared of it as far as living with it long term.

My reasons:

1, Carbon build up due to DI engine design. Causes CEL between 30-40K miles. Cost to remedy- $600-700. Until the next time.

2. Will need brakes on alternating axles every 25-30K miles.

3. Cost to replace an automatic transmission? $7000 for the part only and that is for a rebuilt unit- I'm not kidding.

I decided to get rid of it while still under warranty before it became a money pit.

My wife and I bought Fiat 500 Sports 2 days apart- she traded her Hyundai Accent. While the Fiat doesn't do anything "the best" we have ever driven, the balance is brilliant. This may already be my favorite car ever, beating my beloved 1989 BMW 325is, which I sold at 250K miles, still running great.

So two questions regarding the Fiats:

1. Run the FF until the oil change light comes on or 6 months whichever comes first, or drain early? My 500 is driven 120 miles a day on the highway and has 900 miles on it. Hers is city driven and has 300 miles on it.

2. Of the following oil choices, which would you choose? The oil must meet Fiat/Chrysler certiification, and the only approved weight is 5W30, regardless of climate. I want to keep my car until 250-300K (7-10 years) then will take her car at that point (it should have approximately 50-60K on it) and drive that one to 250-300K.

The required OCI for warranty is 6 months regardless of mileage or when the oil change light comes on- either 4K or 8K miles depending on usage. Not sure what I will get yet- she will hit the 6 months first.

The choices are:

1. PU- Factory Fill for the 500 Abarth (but that model uses 5W40)

2. Pennzoil PP- Can get it anywhere, and costs less.

3. Royal Purple- Meets Fiat/Chrysler specs and is not a hydrocracked Type III

Any options have missed? QSUD maybe? Please do not suggest Mobil 1 as I cannot find any documentation that it says it meets Fiat/Chrysler spec.

my opinion - It's a cool little car with Italian passion and a design with some soul. yet to be proven reliability in the US.. might not be more reliable than a honda fit but can't be any worse than the Nissan Versa.

oh, and oil - I'd go with the Penn Platinum in it. I think that is what they are using as factory fill and at the dealers.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
OP asks for "opinions".

Here is mine. The Fiat 500 is a horrible value. What is there to like? Fiat is always bottom of the barrell in quality, the 500 is very small, it is loud, it burns oil, it is expensive for what you get. It is very expensive for what you get? It does not get class leading MPG either.

There are many other cars that are far better get higher MPG, are less expensive, and are a lot more dependable then the Fiat 500.

Why would anyone buy one?!?!? It's almost as if one has to have a character flaw to actually buy one because it does not make any sense.

How do you know about the dependability of the 500? these have only been available for a year or so. I don't think consumer reports has even published any statistics yet. Where are you getting your data from?

please let me know because I am thinking about buying one and I'd like to know.

Are these really oil burners?

Is the quality really worse than a Kia or Hyundai or VW or Chevy or Ford?

The seat is very comfortable and all parts looked well made.

They are small and the turbo only gets so-so mpg 31-35MPG, but they are very light and scoot nicely.

Originally Posted By: lovcom
OP asks for "opinions".

actually just found the reliability report on consumer reports for the 2012 Fiat 500. Above average in all categories except squeek and rattle where it was only average.

I'd like to know why you say this is not a dependable car.

Are these really oil burners?

Is the quality really worse than a Kia or Hyundai or VW or Chevy or Ford?

The seat is very comfortable and all parts looked well made.

They are small and the turbo only gets so-so mpg 31-35MPG, but they are very light and scoot nicely.

I'm sure the quality is worse than Ford, Hyundai, Chevy, and Kia, but probably on par with VW.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back