Fiat TD100 oil recommendation/comment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

Just to get some comments/advice
smile.gif

I have a 1998 Fiat with 1,9 TD100 motor, ~245000Km.
I'm using Shell Helix HX7 10W40 diesel, but I feel this oil is no more up to the task. The car is somewhat underpowered (to today's standards at least) and it sees quite heavy use (heavy stuff to move, heavy trailer, etc) in the week end, and lots of cold start and small trips during the week, traffic jams, etc. The car was a bit abused during its life (previous owner didn't care much for oil and used whatever he had, mineral 15W40 or worse).

I have the feeling (while driving or cold start, or turbo sound) the oil is cooked after like 3000Km, and flows like black water when I change it. I try to do OC every 5000Km (3000Km is really too short!).

Do you think I could switch to some heavy duty oil like Mobil Delvac (unavailable around there for the moment, but maybe there is an equivalent), of Mobil 1 10W60 (recommended by Mobil website)? Or maybe some synthetic 5W40 or 5W50? Motor does not use oil, and most leaks are easily fixed (mostly oil cooler or camshaft cover).

Like I said on my other Fiat topic, I have some Total Quartz 10W60 and some Total semi-synth 5W40 on hand, but I can buy other stuff. I already tried some elf 10W40 Turbodiesel http://www.lubadmin.com/upload/produit/FichePDF/lang_23/1014.pdf and sees no sensible difference with Shell.

Any opinion?

Last edited:
Do you still have the owner's manual for the car? Sometimes it is a huge help.

Also, if your oil is getting too thin, I would have it analyzed for fuel contamination. Sometimes a poor injector spray pattern leads to poor fuel burn, power loss, and high fuel contamination of the oil. On some engines, the seal between the fuel injector and cylinder head can fail, leading to fuel entering the oil. It also would be wise to check your glow plugs, as fuel does not burn as completely when the engine is cold started. The sooner it is warmed up, the better. Check your coolant thermostat, if it hangs open, your engine may run so coldly, that it can't burn fuel cleanly.

Since I live in the USA, I know very little about Fiat diesel engines, most of my understanding about diesels is derived from automotive textbooks, and large Ford, Chevy, and Dodge diesel trucks. Therefore, I can't tell you if your engine could develop a leak where the fuel injectors leak into the cylinder head.

Having a discussion on the "Passenger car diesel" oil forum may give you better advice than I can.

Anyway, it wouldn't be expensive to change your fuel filter, and use something like "Liqui-moly Diesel purge" in your fuel.

I now realise I post in a completely wrong subforum! Sorry for that, maybe a mod could move the topic?

Unfortunately, I have not the user manual. I found information online, and it calls for "Selenia Turbodiesel", which I believe is 15W40 or 10W40 semi-synthetic. I'm going to investigate the fuel contamination. Oil analysis here is expensive, but Blackstone seems to be ok with european orders so I'll try it. Oil doen't smell fuel though.

Also glow plugs are recent and engine is a real cold start beast (as long as a 5-10° cold start could be considered cold start, weather is not often colder around here). Thermostat is recent too and is working properly. EGR has also been disabled.

In fact when oil is new, water temperature (don't have oil temp or oil pressure unfortunately) is steady at ~75° (which is the opening temp of the thermostat), after a few thousand Km with same oil the water temp goes up as soon as you are a bit hard on the motor.

Thank you for the advice about, grey/white smoke at startup is maybe because of leaky injector. I'm going to plan injector control, and fuel analysis.

OK, you won't find dual rated oils in Europe ( HD and passenger car oils). What you're car is asking is B4 specification 10w40. Any brand will work if you keep OCI short. Older diesels had short OCI (7.5 k) to menage fuel dilutions. You can also use HDEO and prolong your OCI. Those are heavy SAPS, but it won't hurt a thing on this engine.

Shell Rimula r6 should resist shearing better then normal car oils, and is great stuff. I'm sure you could go 10k with this oil easily.
Cheers

Available online, and ok price (30€ + shipping), I'll give it a try
smile.gif

Edit : but this is a Marine oil???

Last edited:
There is no need for an HDEO in these. In Australia we can get 15w40 A3/B4 products like Magnatec Diesel. I'd use something like that but a 10w40 A3/B4 or 5w40 C3 would work fine also. Id say you can find a suitable oil that will suit both your vehicles.

Rimula r6 M 10w40 is truck oil. Can't see why it couldn't be used in marine diesels. Give it a try, and see how it's behaving in practice. My neighbour have the same car with 550k ,and he use anything on hand.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: supercity
There is no need for an HDEO in these. In Australia we can get 15w40 A3/B4 products like Magnatec Diesel. I'd use something like that but a 10w40 A3/B4 or 5w40 C3 would work fine also. Id say you can find a suitable oil that will suit both your vehicles.

Really, you would use C3 oil in a old pre common rail diesel. Sure with 1.5 k interval could work.

I happen to live near the sea, with many marine motor shops.
If you say Rimula is ok, I'll give it a try, after checking for injector leaks of course.

Found some Rimula R6 for 3,62€/L in a local marine shop, very good deal, even cheaper than HX7 on sale!
The guy said it is the oil he put on 95% of the big marine diesel he maintain. Also said he puts it on many many trucks (the shop also do truck repairs). Overkill for my car, but at this price...
I have to bring my own can to get it filled though, not a problem since I won't store the oil for long.

It looks like you got your self a deal here. Rimula is great stuff for older diesels, and 20 Euro oil change sounds good too! Don't worry about storing non original jugs, just be sure to tighten cap securely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back