Ferrari Horse - History

“You all know the story about the Ferrari horse. How Enzo Ferrari was gifted the iconic horse from the mother of the WW1 hero pilot Francesco Baracca. For good luck, she said.

The stallion is now closely connected to the Ferrari brand, being part of both the square logo for the street cars and the crest for the racing cars. This is a story that Ferrari loves to tell.

A story Ferrari does not tell though, is how the black stallion ended up on Francesco Barracca's airplane in the first place.

Francesco Baracca had a gruesome duel with a german pilot, which he won. The airplane of the german pilot had a red stallion on its tail. Francesco Baracca painted a black, identical, horse on his own plane to celebrate the victory. The german pilot, who perished, was a noble man from Stuttgart. The red horse on his airplane was from the coat of arms of the city of Stuttgart.

The same stallion is used in the Porsche logo. Porsche is based in Stuttgart. This means that the horse used for Ferrari and Porsche is the same. Ironically, both manufacturers have the same horse in their brand. The only difference is that the Ferrari stallion is a bit more erect.

There you have it. Now you know more than 99 percent of your petrol head friends. The Porsche and the Ferrari logo have the same horse in their logos.”

IMG_7080.jpeg
IMG_7081.jpeg
IMG_7082.jpeg

Porsche wouldn't give me a logo for my Porsche so I used a Ferrari one instead.

1709648825836.jpg

Back