The EU is Cracking Down on Speedy Supercars

Status
Not open for further replies.
"A MONTH AGO, as I was checking out of a hotel in Stuttgart bound for Geneva in a hot new Porsche 911, a man approached me in the lobby, like Elijah in "Moby-****," warning me of danger ahead. "Are you driving the red car to Switzerland?" he asked in English. "You know, they just put somebody in jail for four years for speeding.""

"‘Europe's near-airtight enforcement of speed limits threatens whole empires of automotive make-believe.'"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-eu-is-cracking-down-on-speedy-supercars-11555007034

This does not bode well for the german makes.

In California anything 20mph or over the posted speed limit is grounds for arrest. I've been told there is leeway on that so long as your speed isn't stupid fast and you're not being a problem for law enforcement.

Scott

Last edited by a moderator:
Circumstances, including how you treat the officer, are crucial to the outcome of a traffic stop.

I was pulled over by a Sherriff's Deputy in a small town on the Eastern shore of VA.

I was going 24 over.

I got a warning.

But I don't recommend that as a habit...

Originally Posted by SLO_Town
In California anything 20mph or over the posted speed limit is grounds for arrest. I've been told there is leeway on that so long as your speed isn't stupid fast and you're not being an A Hole to law enforcement.

Scott

The biggest factor shouldn't be either, but how they're driving - like a holes that weave in and out of every lane....

I'm not paying to read the article.....but I imagine the punishment fits the crime - for instance if the 130kph driver was busted in a 30kph school zone....

And what we as Americans have to remember is that in Europe it's "guilty until proven innocent" and they are much more no-nonsense over there. Or at least seem that way to me.

Originally Posted by JLTD
I'm not paying to read the article.

Me neither. OP, why not cut and paste the article if you know the link isn't direct. And 4 years in jail for speeding? I call BS.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
"A MONTH AGO, as I was checking out of a hotel in Stuttgart bound for Geneva in a hot new Porsche 911, a man approached me in the lobby, like Elijah in "Moby-****," warning me of danger ahead. "Are you driving the red car to Switzerland?" he asked in English. "You know, they just put somebody in jail for four years for speeding.""

"‘Europe's near-airtight enforcement of speed limits threatens whole empires of automotive make-believe.'"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-eu-is-cracking-down-on-speedy-supercars-11555007034

This does not bode well for the german makes.

That movement is not coming from those concern about safety, but environmentalist. While I am all for alternative fuels to light up house or office, and I understand where things are going with internal combustion engine, and my brain says we should be driving EV, but my heart says I will never own one, in Europe they are pushing this too far.
In 1990's driving 120mph on one lane in each direction road was like piece of cake. Then the talk started behind fuel burn of speeding vehicles, although Europe has very good check on that, expensive fuel. Problem was, they tackle that with super fast diesels. Still, environmentalists managed to tighten grip on enforcement so now a lot of countries, especially Switzerland and Austria, are going beyond anything that resembles common sense.
The new push is to speed limit all cars from factory by EU.
I often complain how government in the US allows too much flexibility to corporations (Boeing being latest example of "what could go wrong.") But, there is also reason why I moved from Europe here. I always tell people, if you want to really know what big government is and when government does not make sense, move to Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
In California anything 20mph or over the posted speed limit is grounds for arrest. I've been told there is leeway on that so long as your speed isn't stupid fast and you're not being an A Hole to law enforcement.

Scott

When cop asks you, do you know why I stopped you (and you were doing 100mph) you better say: yes I do. That immediately diffuses situation.
Last time I got pulled over was in South Park here in CO. As I was rolling through STOP sign, sheriff was passing by, turned around, and I stopped before he even turnd lights on. So, not only I rolled through, but I forgot my DL and I was going to ski.
He asks me, do you know why? I was like: yeah, of course, I rolled through. Not only that he did not write me ticket, and not write ticket for not having DL< but he wished me happy and funny skiing day
smile.gif

When I was a judge in traffic court I found that 99% of the police didn't care how minor violations like speeding were resolved as long as the defendant didn't act like a jerk. At the time I was driving an M6 and my prosecutor had a Mustang GT, so if you weren't speeding through a construction zone, a school zone or a subdivision you were guaranteed a great deal- assuming that you didn't irritate the officer.

Originally Posted by edyvw
When cop asks you, do you know why I stopped you (and you were doing 100mph) you better say: yes I do. That immediately diffuses situation.
Last time I got pulled over was in South Park here in CO. As I was rolling through STOP sign, sheriff was passing by, turned around, and I stopped before he even turnd lights on. So, not only I rolled through, but I forgot my DL and I was going to ski.
He asks me, do you know why? I was like: yeah, of course, I rolled through. Not only that he did not write me ticket, and not write ticket for not having DL< but he wished me happy and funny skiing day
smile.gif

I'm glad you got off on a warning, but I would rather not incriminate myself and gamble on the officer's charity. To suggest that others do the same is ridiculous.

I'd much rather keep my stupid mouth shut and let my lawyer handle it if need be.

Originally Posted by rooflessVW
smile.gif

I'm glad you got off on a warning, but I would rather not incriminate myself and gamble on the officer's charity. To suggest that others do the same is ridiculous.

I'd much rather keep my stupid mouth shut and let my lawyer handle it if need be.

Saying "yes I do" isn't the same as saying "because I was going 100"

Originally Posted by atikovi
Saying "yes I do" isn't the same as saying "because I was going 100"

It's admission of guilt.

The police are not your friends.

They should give ticket fines proportional to the mass of your vehicle. The bigger and heavier, the more your speeding can kill. Kinetic energy is proportional to mass.

Scott

Which is why guys on fast bikes get lit up by a cop and immediately pin it.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I find it hard to believe you didn't get cited for not having a drivers license on you.

Nope. Guy kept me a bit to run check, but after that wished me happy and funny skiing day.
I got fined also once in Alabama $80 for driving 107mph in 75 zone a rental Toyota Sienna (2nd gen).
So State Trooper stops me, and asks me: do you know how fast you were going? I was: well, probably bit over 100mph.
He is: well, this is first, why? Me: just wanted to see how fast this thing could go.
I mean, what could I do at that point. So, he writes lower speed. Did $80 and internet safety course.

smile.gif

Since I did not murder anyone, I took a chance and did not plead 5th.
But to point about speed, so he will clock me on camera unless he is doing hand gun, and I will spend more money on the lawyer.
As Mcompact mentioned, as long as it is not school zone, construction etc. there is probability you will get out (or pay less than speed warrants). I have a lot of contact with local police, state troopers etc. through my job, and they all are going to use speed to actually check you out for other stuff (drugs, DUI etc.) unless it is again one of those restricted areas.
But, I actually drive right on speed limit in those zones, I do not go over a mile, not bcs of speed limit but bcs I do not want to kill someone crossing interstate during construction.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Astro14
Circumstances, including how you treat the officer, are crucial to the outcome of a traffic stop.

I was pulled over by a Sherriff's Deputy in a small town on the Eastern shore of VA.

I was going 24 over.

I got a warning.

But I don't recommend that as a habit...

I was pulled over for 1 mph over in Ohio...treated the officer with the utmost respect, and still got the ticket. I have been ticketed for less than 10 over 5 times...ALWAYS super respectful, and I have NEVER got a warning. I remember one time saying "Thank you, Sir" to an officer as he walked back to his car after giving me a ticket, and he turned around and said "Don't thank me son".

atikovi said:
The police are not your friends.

They're not your enemy either.

I live in a land of speed cameras. They trigger at 11mph over the limit.
For the last 7 years or so I just never ever go more than 10mph over, city or highway.
No more speeding tickets. Not that I got many before.
My worst was 87 in a 55. Trying to see how fast my recently purchased 1981 Accord could go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back