The EU is Cracking Down on Speedy Supercars

Status
Not open for further replies.
In 1979 I was clocked at 131 on a causeway we used for racing. Since I was courteous, not inebriated, and pulled over quickly I got a ticket for 70 in a 55.

I have also had a local city officer chase me down in a 72 510 station wagon claiming since he had to go 60 to catch me he was writing me for 60! There was no talking him out of it.

Police come in many flavors. Try courtesy first...

I got pulled for doing 80 in a 65. I told the trooper, "Yep, I was speeding because I was boxed in and trying to get over." It was true and he gave me a warning. That [censored] 335d with its instantaneous torque could jump an extra 10 mph in what felt like an instant.

Originally Posted by SteveSRT8
In 1979 I was clocked at 131 on a causeway we used for racing. Since I was courteous, not inebriated, and pulled over quickly I got a ticket for 70 in a 55.

I have also had a local city officer chase me down in a 72 510 station wagon claiming since he had to go 60 to catch me he was writing me for 60! There was no talking him out of it.

Times have changed since 1979. I still remember teens getting caught with beer in the car and having to dump it out in front of the cop. That doesn't happen today.

Originally Posted by oil_film_movies
They should give ticket fines proportional to the mass of your vehicle. The bigger and heavier, the more your speeding can kill. Kinetic energy is proportional to mass.

While no one can argue that last line (he forgot velocity) this is completely ignoring the incredibly wide variances in vehicles. A 4000 pound car designed and built for 180 mph speeds is much safer at 100 mph than a 3000 pound econocar or small SUV with ordinary brakes, tires, and suspension set up for comfort and economy.

Many huge fast sedans have braking and suspension capabilities that can make 100 mph seem pretty tame. My friend's Bentley weighs 5500 pounds! OMG fast and brakes to match, biggest set of rotors you ever saw.

But I always feel that judgement is what makes the most difference. Where you were and how many others were endangered is huge IMO. But if you are out in the middle of nowhere with zero traffic and open road you weren't totally crazy....

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by SteveSRT8

Times have changed since 1979. I still remember teens getting caught with beer in the car and having to dump it out in front of the cop. That doesn't happen today.

It was an anomaly even then. My poor Wife was on the side of the road a mile away and thought the car would be towed! Only pure good fortune kept me out of jail that night!

Originally Posted by MCompact
When I was a judge in traffic court.

So what's your opinion on the Incorporation Doctrine?

Private property is another great place where folks can drive fast without penalty. Car and Driver used a driveway into a private residence: https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...-204-mph-on-a-double-nickel-road-page-1/

We used to have a club in a local county that had a 3/8 mile road perfect for drag racing. It was also a great brake test to brake hard and make the hairpin left hander with a nice short sprint to a "finish line". A dozen or so of us would meet every Sunday very early to show off the performance of our cars. Always timed, single vehicle runs. No one ever got hurt...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted by MCompact
When I was a judge in traffic court.

So what's your opinion on the Incorporation Doctrine?

I support it; it's been well-settled law for decades.

why would a respectable and decent police officer ask you "do you know why I pulled you over?"
This is nothing but a power trip for the officer. This is NOT what they teach them at the academy.

This is essentially equivalent to the question "does this dress make me look fat?" You NEVER answer that!!

They should give ticket fines proportional to the mass of your vehicle. The bigger and heavier, the more your speeding can kill. Kinetic energy is proportional to mass.

I think either Sweden or Norway determines the fine as a percentage of your gross income.

I think either Sweden or Norway determines the fine as a percentage of your gross income.

Finland 100%, not sure for Norway.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/1759791.stm
And he got caught on Harley Davidson of all bikes.

Originally Posted by edyvw
"A MONTH AGO, as I was checking out of a hotel in Stuttgart bound for Geneva in a hot new Porsche 911, a man approached me in the lobby, like Elijah in "Moby-****," warning me of danger ahead. "Are you driving the red car to Switzerland?" he asked in English. "You know, they just put somebody in jail for four years for speeding.""

"‘Europe's near-airtight enforcement of speed limits threatens whole empires of automotive make-believe.'"

https://www.wsj.com/articles/why-the-eu-is-cracking-down-on-speedy-supercars-11555007034

This does not bode well for the german makes.

That movement is not coming from those concern about safety, but environmentalist. While I am all for alternative fuels to light up house or office, and I understand where things are going with internal combustion engine, and my brain says we should be driving EV, but my heart says I will never own one, in Europe they are pushing this too far.
In 1990's driving 120mph on one lane in each direction road was like piece of cake. Then the talk started behind fuel burn of speeding vehicles, although Europe has very good check on that, expensive fuel. Problem was, they tackle that with super fast diesels. Still, environmentalists managed to tighten grip on enforcement so now a lot of countries, especially Switzerland and Austria, are going beyond anything that resembles common sense.
The new push is to speed limit all cars from factory by EU.
I often complain how government in the US allows too much flexibility to corporations (Boeing being latest example of "what could go wrong.") But, there is also reason why I moved from Europe here. I always tell people, if you want to really know what big government is and when government does not make sense, move to Europe.
Not to mention, that most of those countries are absolute nationalistic as....s that keep true face under the rug.

Interesting ^^^^

There's a necessary balance to life and governance.

Originally Posted by Vikas
why would a respectable and decent police officer ask you "do you know why I pulled you over?"
This is nothing but a power trip for the officer. This is NOT what they teach them at the academy.

This is essentially equivalent to the question "does this dress make me look fat?" You NEVER answer that!!

Because they want you to confess and incriminate yourself.

Originally Posted by PimTac
I find it hard to believe you didn't get cited for not having a drivers license on you.

It is possible... I had that happen twice.
There was a police stop in Richmond county on the northern neck area. Thank goodness the officer was really cool. And I was good with him. I actually think they were looking for a felon though
smile.gif

Originally Posted by DriveHard
Originally Posted by Astro14
Circumstances, including how you treat the officer, are crucial to the outcome of a traffic stop.

I was pulled over by a Sherriff's Deputy in a small town on the Eastern shore of VA.

I was going 24 over.

I got a warning.

But I don't recommend that as a habit...

I was pulled over for 1 mph over in Ohio...treated the officer with the utmost respect, and still got the ticket. I have been ticketed for less than 10 over 5 times...ALWAYS super respectful, and I have NEVER got a warning. I remember one time saying "Thank you, Sir" to an officer as he walked back to his car after giving me a ticket, and he turned around and said "Don't thank me son".

Was this perhaps Georgetown, Ohio?

Originally Posted by Astro14
Circumstances, including how you treat the officer, are crucial to the outcome of a traffic stop.

I was pulled over by a Sherriff's Deputy in a small town on the Eastern shore of VA.

I was going 24 over.

I got a warning.

But I don't recommend that as a habit...

This. I was pulled over by a ND State Trooper on my bike going 20 over (and in a construction zone) at 2AM when I was going to a bike rally in Wyoming many years ago. I got off with a warning since A) I had all my gear on B) I was friendly with the Trooper (always with Leo's) and probably C) I have a Class A CDL. The Trooper told me he was looking for drunk drivers and didn't want to waste time writing a ticket. That was the only time I've been pulled over on a motorcycle.

Originally Posted by Jarlaxle
Originally Posted by Vikas

Because they want you to confess and incriminate yourself.

Yep. State cops here have dash cams with microphones on their person. Your conversation with them is recorded. Good luck in court arguing you where not doing X when they have you on tape admitting you where doing X.

25 over posted speed limit or 85MPH is automatic misdemeanor reckless driving in my state. "Reckless driving is punishable by a fine of $100-$300, imprisonment for up to 30 days, or both, for a first offense and a fine of up to $600, imprisonment for up to one year, or both, for any subsequent offense."
If your in a school or work zone the fines and penalties all get multiplied 2x.

Dash and body cams have eliminated any discretion the cops had in the matter. If he pulls you over for 95 and lets you off with a warning and then you end up wrecking down the road that cop is screwed.

Last edited:
Yeah I think reckless driving is a bit of another matter... All together.

Having witnessed 3 cars going 100 mph plus and then two more cars trying to catch them going 115 mph... On a July 4th night into the following 0115 am on the 5th with a fair amount of other traffic around. ... The moron who got pulled over... Deserved no real mercy.

Now if those World Champions had been doing the same exact thing say in August with no one hardly out there on interstate 64... Other than my championship self... That's a good bit of a different circumstance.

Now when two World Champion guys were drag racing on Rte 60 headed into Williamsburg.... Going at least 140 mph in a 45 mph zone at 615 pm in the evening .. . And were really loud and scared the beegeezees out of me going 52 mph. ... They deserve no mercy either... That's just plain stupid.

I got a straight warning for doing 97 in a 65 when I was 19.

Trooper pulled out to go after me, but couldn't get past a group of cars that had bunched up behind me back in the distance. I could see him struggling to get past. I had already moved over into the right lane, slowed to 45mph and put my hazards on. Next exit was 2 miles away and I was not looking to get nailed for fleeing and eluding.

I guess he appreciated me not running. He came back and said "This is a warning. Don't do this again." Talk about your close calls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back