Who here owns a plane?

One of the side effects of my meds is very vivid, realistic, memorable dreams. Last week I had such a dream, that I had my own property with my own runway and I was flying my own plane.

Made me curious about plane ownership. Obviously I don't even have the $15K or so for a PPL let alone money for a plane or runway so this is all a massive pipe dream but of course I started researching airplanes and I decided my dream plane would be a King Air 260. I picked the 260 over the 360 due to runway length. If I'm building my own runway, shorter is cheaper, duh, and even if I had all the money in the world I'd still be the same cheap guy haha. I know there are far cheaper planes out there but I would definitely want a turboprop instead of piston plane due to performance and I like the idea of an airplane with two engines for reliability.

Anyway, if anyone on here owns a plane, I'd love to know about what you have, why you picked it, maybe your story in how you started flying. And of course, do you do your own maintenance? Are you even allowed to your own oil changes? Will Supertech 5W-30 work in an airplane (OK just kidding on that part)...

I know we have some pilots on here, even if you don't have a plane of your own, what do you like to fly and why?

Some basic maintenance can legally be done without holding an A&P, but you will need to hire out for inspections, overhauls, etc. without it.

My dad does. He's had a 1976 Grumman AA5B Tiger since it was new. We took many trips cross country to visit relatives, and when I got older he'd let me take the controls as co-pilot. Nay on oil changes. There isn't much you can do if you aren't certified. I went as far as asking a CFI about getting my private pilot's license after dad offered the use of his plane, but I couldn't justify it. You know how the joke about a boat is it means "Bring On Another Thousand"? Well, airplanes are just more expensive B.O.A.T.s.

You might as well dream big!

It is possible to get a MEL (Multi-Engine Land) private first by skipping the SEL (Single Engine Land) certificate. However, I have only known one person who had a MEL and didn't hold a SEL. He did it that way because he was wealthy and didn't care what the insurance cost him. Believe me, he paid beyond exorbitant insurance premiums, until he got significant accident/incident free hours.

I have time in the King Air 90 and can vouch that it's a great flying airplane with a stellar safety record. You still wouldn't do your primary private in a King Air, instead it would be in a small multi-engine trainer. Cost and availability instructors willing to do primary training in a King Air would, lead you to a common primary training ME airplane and instructor.

When I was active in instructing many years ago, an owner could do anything they want for maintenance to their airplane, but almost everything has to be signed off by a licensed A&P (Airframe and Powerplant) technician. By the time the A&P inspects everything you've done, you don't save anything by doing it yourself and you have to pay the A&P to fix what you messed up.

Hi, currently a Piper Pa28-236 Dakota, prior to that a Pa38-112 Tomahawk, and before that a share in a Piper Pa28-140 Cherokee Cruiser.

I was just obsessed with flying from a young age, cannot explain why, but as a 'tenement rat' never figured I would. As a kid I used to ride or take the bus to the local muni airport and hang around until someone gave me a ride, back when offering some random 12yo a ride was OK...

I started taking lessons in college, but had absolutely no extra funds or time and picked them up after a few years auditing (and the almost constant travel). Bought into a ratty looking, but very well maintained Cherokee. I decided that I wanted my own airplane, and after doing some research settled on a Tomahawk and found a beautiful one. I also trained heavily on the edge of the Tomahawk's envelope (Google the model you will understand), and LOVED that bird.

Years later, the tech boom hits and a senior exec where I was working, and who I had come to know, sticks his head in my office and says 'I hate your Tomahawk, you need my Dakota' as he was retiring early and had just bought a new Saratoga. I was getting married in a few months and said thanks, but not the time for that much airplane. He then dropped me a price that floored me, but with the caveat that I would kick him some $ if I sold in the next few years as he had a firm offer well above what I would pay. I said yes, and included a very nice bottle of Porto as a thank you.

The Dakota is a wonderful airplane, the best features of the Cherokee/Warrior line with the big engine, big tanks and a constant speed propeller. Fixed gear and lots of power, great combo for a hobby pilot.

I try to do the maintenance that I can and my A&P allows owner assist inspections and other work, so that is a great setup.

Expensive, yes a bit, but aside from buy in (and there are many ways to do that), operating expenses are comparable to or less than a 30'+ boat or even a bad skiing habit.

Take an intro flight....

DakNCa.jpg

Last edited:
... Nay on oil changes. There isn't much you can do if you aren't certified. ...
Incorrect. As a private pilot, you can change your own engine oil, and some other basic procedures, on your own airplane. FAR 91 part 43 covers what private pilots are, and are not, allowed to do on their own in terms of maintenance. Allowed preventive maintenance includes engine oil changes, spark plugs, tires, wheel bearings, switches, bulbs and a few other basic items.

I own a 1980 Cessna 172-N "Superhawk" which means last time the engine wore out I replaced it with a slightly more powerful O-360 (180 HP instead of 160 HP). I occasionally fly vintage taildraggers and complex airplanes, but the reason the Cessna 172 is the airplane that I own and fly regularly is because it is the most produced airplane ever made, everyone knows how to work on it and to fly it, it is one of the simplest, easiest to fly, most reliable and safest airplanes on Earth. With 4 seats and 1100# of payload it is also practical, though not particularly fast or efficient. It's kind of a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none airplane. It can land on short fields, turf or gravel, but not as well as a cub. But it's faster and more efficient than a cub in cruise. But not as fast or efficient as a Mooney, Baron or Cirrus. I've owned it for over 15 years and flown all around the NW United States, Canada and Alaska.

I should add that the Dakota is probably hitting the market to be replaced by a Cub, Champ or most likely a late Ercoupe. Why, life changes and I do not fly enough and aside from a few, not many in our family or circle will get in a 'little airplane'. So, looking for less of a capable cruiser and more of a vintage knock around fun machine, plus who doesn't like this look;

AERC.jpg

... I know there are far cheaper planes out there but I would definitely want a turboprop instead of piston plane due to performance and I like the idea of an airplane with two engines for reliability. ...
Regarding multi-engine. An airplane with 2 engines is twice as likely to have an engine failure in the first place. And when that engine failure happens, the pilot had better bring his "A" game because the differential thrust requires immediate and proper corrective action. Some twin engine airplanes don't have sufficient power to maintain altitude on one engine, under all conditions - for example if it's too heavy, or at high density altitude.

Sometimes pilots say that in a twin engine airplane, when one engine fails, the other engine always has enough power to get you to the scene of the crash.

So flying a twin isn't necessarily safer or more reliable. It may or may not be, depending on the particular airplane, the pilot's proficiency, and the conditions or flight mission.

My dad does. He's had a 1976 Grumman AA5B Tiger since it was new. We took many trips cross country to visit relatives, and when I got older he'd let me take the controls as co-pilot. Nay on oil changes. There isn't much you can do if you aren't certified. I went as far as asking a CFI about getting my private pilot's license after dad offered the use of his plane, but I couldn't justify it. You know how the joke about a boat is it means "Bring On Another Thousand"? Well, airplanes are just more expensive B.O.A.T.s.
Aircraft is a Latin word meaning expensive.

I’ve flown a lot of airplanes. Most of them are unaffordable or unavailable for the general public.

I’ve got some time in a CJ-6 (similar to the Yak-52).

That’s where my heart would lie - bubble canopy. Aerobatic. Affordable.

I don’t yet own an airplane. Just got done paying for college. But if not the CJ-6, then an RV, preferably an RV-8. See the above criteria.

Skip the twins. Especially piston twins. Double the maintenance, and nearly double the fuel burn, for a modest increase in performance and a reduction, yeah, I said reduction, in safety.

Too many private pilots auger these things in because they don’t handle the engine out very well. The second engine doesn’t serve as a redundant system, in these cases, it just serves to get the airplane to the scene of the crash. My time in a PA-44 Seminole getting a ATP drove home how poorly they perform (climb rate, etc.) on one engine.

Last edited:
I’ve flown a lot of airplanes. Most of them are unaffordable or unavailable for the general public.

I’ve got some time in a CJ-6 (similar to the Yak-18).

That’s where my heart would lie - bubble canopy. Aerobatic. Affordable.

I don’t yet own an airplane. Just got done paying for college. But if not the CJ-6, then an RV, preferably an RV-8. See the above criteria.

Skip the twins. Especially piston twins. Double the maintenance, and nearly double the fuel burn, for a modest increase in performance and a reduction, yeah, I said reduction, in safety.

Too many private pilots auger these things in because they don’t handle the engine out very well. The second engine doesn’t serve as a redundant system, in these cases, it just serves to get the airplane to the scene of the crash. My time in a PA-44 Seminole getting a ATP drove home how poorly they perform (climb rate, etc.) on one engine.
I came so close to buying the Nanchang, but decided against it for several reasons, but they are fun, robust and affordable with a (today at least) decent parts supply. But, boy was it a fun few hours, and nothing sounds like a radial even if it turns the wrong way!

Went as far as passing the written with a 92 or 93 before I was even 20. But then I took one of those $20 Cessna demo rides they had back then and was clenching the armrest with a deathgrip. Not afraid of heights, but sitting below the wing thousands of feet up with no visible support seeing just open air beneath you, freaked me out a bit. Kind of like the first time in a chair lift at a ski area. Maybe I'd get used it like I did the chair lift, but with cars being way more accessible and just as fun, I never went any further.

I'd love to have an Area L-39 Albatross. Probably the closest a layperson could get to a fighter jet aside from those in the 8+ figure range. I wouldn't even contemplate such an expense under $10M.

$400k. I can't imagine how much maintenance on a jet engine would be though.

View attachment 153641
I’ve got a friend who flies one in air shows.

Maintenance is low, until the engine needs a hot section inspection, which can cost as much as the purchase price. The real issue is fuel.

It holds about a thousand gallons, and burns it in less than an hour if you’re having fun.

... Maybe I'd get used it like I did the chair lift, but with cars being way more accessible and just as fun, I never went any further.
I used to race cars in SCCA and I will dispute that. Slow airplanes are 100x more fun than fast cars. And more practical. Aviation is a bit more expensive than racing cars, but not much more if you own and fly the right kind of airplane.

I own a Cessna 177RG (Thunder) Cardinal. It is my second plane. I absolutely love owning a plane.
I work in a very high end private flight department, and get to fly some of the world's finest toys.

My plane:

riAxLlQ.jpg

Some of the toys in our flight department:

NSjhq78.jpg

This is an "Extra NG" a newer version of the Extra 300L. Bigger engine, 100% carbonfiber fuselage, lighter, faster, etc.
bVEAjs1.jpg

CZGPj89.jpg

Our Gulfstream jets, G550 and G600.
1KVbTcf.jpg

Our Stemme S10 Motor-Glider just after delivery at the factory in Strausberg, Germany. Hence the temp registration.

6qj3zNc.jpg

Our EC135 helicopter, fun but a real pain to deal with.
IsVo17B.jpg

Went as far as passing the written with a 92 or 93 before I was even 20. But then I took one of those $20 Cessna demo rides they had back then and was clenching the armrest with a deathgrip. Not afraid of heights, but sitting below the wing thousands of feet up with no visible support seeing just open air beneath you, freaked me out a bit. Kind of like the first time in a chair lift at a ski area. Maybe I'd get used it like I did the chair lift, but with cars being way more accessible and just as fun, I never went any further.
Nah. Not even close. Cars are slow, unresponsive, underpowered, limited to two dimensions, and surrounded by other cars. The performance isn’t even close. The freedom of an airplane can never be experienced when constrained by gravity and the surface of the Earth.

The fun factor is an order of magnitude different.

My wife has a car that goes 0-60 in under four seconds, with the glorious sound of a V-12, and it’s slow, boring, and simple compared with an airplane. It’s a great car. Wonderful car.

But nothing like an airplane.

Thought you guys might enjoy what the G600 cockpit looks like at night. We typically cruise at M 0.91. Or about 530Kts TAS. Climb is M 0.87. This thing is a time saver, that's for sure.

5LQUHG6.jpg

Landing the glider with an ex Soviet Mig pilot (The Stemme Factory pilot) at Penemunde, Germany, where Werner Von Braun built and tested the V2 rockets. That was one heck of an experience.
j2ypVRk.jpg

Flying my plane into Sun n Fun, 2023:
Z2sbXn7.jpg

Back