Fedex is on a roll lately -- late deliveries

FedEx is absolute garbage. Have been left waiting multiple times, out of service, on misdelivered parts; Making it often cheaper to pay a courier to hand-deliver it.

Several hundred FedEx packages were recently found in a ravine in Alabama, FedEx is investigating. At least we now know where the "Lost" department is located, or is that what they call "delivered"?

Maybe upset driver ?

3 Amazon orders lost in 2 weeks....

I got an email today that my box was lost and they are refunding my money.

Stuff happens and I’m sure there’s crazy turnover with all these contractors driving the Amazon delivery vans.

Fed Ex Ground personnel aren't even employees. They're contractors..... poorly paid, and really don't give a ****

The package weighed 14 lbs, and UPS wanted $171 to ship, and FedEx wanted $184.
Were you picking overnight or 2-day shipping ? Never mind, quite certain you did.... Published rate for a 14# package from Ohio to Los Angeles CA (I just picked about as far away in the US I could get) and Next Day Air is $199. Ground shipping would have been $40. Is there a reason you needed overnight shipping ?

I have a source at FedEx who says the packages are indeed delayed for a variety of reasons.

1. They are down 90k employees.

2. They cannot get people in their mid 20s to 30 who want to work. Those people are the package handlers who load the freight into trucks and trailers. They do not want to work.

3. Package delivery drivers are being pulled off routes to come into terminals to sort packages.

4. FedEx is lobbying against vax mandates because they know they will lose employees who will not comply and things will become even worse

5. Other than that, everything else is fine.

I have a source at FedEx who says the packages are indeed delayed for a variety of reasons.

2. They cannot get people in their mid 20s to 30 who want to work. Those people are the package handlers who load the freight into trucks and trailers. They do not want to work.

3. Package delivery drivers are being pulled off routes to come into terminals to sort packages.

4. FedEx is lobbying against vax mandates because they know they will lose employees who will not comply and things will become even worse

Companies that pay fair and competitive wages and foster a good work culture tend to not have employee shortages.

Sounds like FedEx needs to put up or shut up.

IMO the only reason to work for FedEx is because your local UPS isn't hiring. Higher pay and better benefits across the board...

I recently shipped my motorcycle seat to a company that redoes seats. The package weighed 14 lbs, and UPS wanted $171 to ship, and FedEx wanted $184. Luckily I found a company called bikeship.com that shipped it for $96. I'm sure I could've shipped it through USPS for half of that, but they have lost so many packages lately, I won't use them anymore because I simply don't trust them...UPS and FedEx prices have gone beyond ridiculous...
I'm trying to imagine the size of a motorcycle seat in my head, and I can't picture anything large enough to justify a $100+ price. Either you're doing something wrong or you're shipping expedited 2-day/overnight instead of ground.

If you paid a third party company (remember, companies don't do things for free) to ship something you could have shipped yourself, for less, there's clearly something wrong here.

Again, you can't simply take a package to a retail Fedex or UPS outlet-- they charge for the service of weighing package, pressing buttons on their computer, slapping the label on. All of the above you can do yourself at fedex.com or ups.com for less than half the price, and simply drop your package off. Heck you can even skip the scale, estimate the weight, and Fedex / UPS will correct the charges when they get an actual weight.

I routinely ship custom built computers weighing 20-30# in a large double box, insured for at least $800, all across the country and have yet to have one cross the $60 mark, UPS or Fedex, even to remote rural addresses. USPS would want $60-80 or more. Before COVID it was around $30-40 with Fedex. Never had any issues with Fedex until after COVID, but the packages have been getting there, despite taking their sweet time.

If you want to pay for the convenience of taking a package to a retail center and have them print the label & weight it, that's perfectly okay, but then I question why one would be griping about cost.

Were you picking overnight or 2-day shipping ? Never mind, quite certain you did.... Published rate for a 14# package from Ohio to Los Angeles CA (I just picked about as far away in the US I could get) and Next Day Air is $199. Ground shipping would have been $40. Is there a reason you needed overnight shipping ?
Where did you get that price. $171 was the least expensive shipping option for this package...

I'm trying to imagine the size of a motorcycle seat in my head, and I can't picture anything large enough to justify a $100+ price. Either you're doing something wrong or you're shipping expedited 2-day/overnight instead of ground.

If you paid a third party company (remember, companies don't do things for free) to ship something you could have shipped yourself, for less, there's clearly something wrong here.

Again, you can't simply take a package to a retail Fedex or UPS outlet-- they charge for the service of weighing package, pressing buttons on their computer, slapping the label on. All of the above you can do yourself at fedex.com or ups.com for less than half the price, and simply drop your package off. Heck you can even skip the scale, estimate the weight, and Fedex / UPS will correct the charges when they get an actual weight.

I routinely ship custom built computers weighing 20-30# in a large double box, insured for at least $800, all across the country and have yet to have one cross the $60 mark, UPS or Fedex, even to remote rural addresses. USPS would want $60-80 or more. Before COVID it was around $30-40 with Fedex. Never had any issues with Fedex until after COVID, but the packages have been getting there, despite taking their sweet time.

If you want to pay for the convenience of taking a package to a retail center and have them print the label & weight it, that's perfectly okay, but then I question why one would be griping about cost.
I don't know where you guys are coming up with these prices. I went to each company's website and did a quote for the least expensive shipping method and those where the prices their website quoted me. No overnight, nothing fancy, just regular ol' ground shipping...

Society has been dealing with Covid for almost 2 years now. The Covid excuse is no longer valid. It's time for businesses to learn to how deal with it and get back to doing their jobs...

I don't know where you guys are coming up with these prices. I went to each company's website and did a quote for the least expensive shipping method and those where the prices their website quoted me. No overnight, nothing fancy, just regular ol' ground shipping...
How big was the box, maybe a data entry error? I'm grasping at straws here. I've never had a price come up even remotely that high with UPS or Fedex.

Do you have an online shipping account set up with them? I'm wondering if you get a quote without an account, maybe they publish expensive retail rates. Setting up an account takes nothing but your info and a credit card, and they'll only bill you when you ship something.

How big was the box, maybe a data entry error? I'm grasping at straws here. I've never had a price come up even remotely that high with UPS or Fedex.

Do you have an online shipping account set up with them? I'm wondering if you get a quote without an account, maybe they publish expensive retail rates. Setting up an account takes nothing but your info and a credit card, and they'll only bill you when you ship something.
UPS site online always automatically “recommends“ air shipment selects and highlights that button. You have to manually hit the GROUND button next to it for shipping at a reasonable rate.

UPS isn't impressing lately either. This is the norm for them now.

20211130_203943.jpg

The box was 29x23x21. No, I don't have an account with them.

They cannot get people in their mid 20s to 30 who want to work.
What I don't understand is how these people can choose not to work. Before I reached retirement age, I didn't have a choice. I had to work to pay my bills and feed my family. Where are these people getting their income if they're not working?

What I don't understand is how these people can choose not to work. Before I reached retirement age, I didn't have a choice. I had to work to pay my bills and feed my family. Where are these people getting their income if they're not working?
They have moved to better paying and/or lower-stress positions/industries.

People are at work, they're just not working at ****ty employers. FedEx is struggling; UPS is not. Big difference in pay, company structure, and culture.

They have moved to better paying and/or lower-stress positions/industries.

People are at work, they're just not working at ****ty employers. FedEx is struggling; UPS is not. Big difference in pay, company structure, and culture.
So every business that's struggling to get people to work is in this situation because everyone who normally fills these positions is now working better jobs?

Back