Fedex is on a roll lately -- late deliveries

FedEx is good for air shipments with everything else they suck! The only reason to use FedEx ground or home delivery is the cost per package is less than other carriers. I know more FedEx ground packages are late to Really late than on time. If given a choice do not use FedEx ground if the shipment is needed by a committed date. You get what you pay for.

I ordered something on Amazon and it shows it was shipped out to Fedex on friday. It should arrive between Oct 7th to 13th. Okay so it could arrive this Thursday or the following Wednesday. So in other words......it could take one week or two weeks to get it.
I cant complain......there was a big window date and I got it a day early.

I paid $70 to ship a small package from CA to CO via Next Day Air rate. It was picked up Monday at about 2:30 PM. The next morning the tracking said it was stuck in Ontario CA due to an "operational delay". It was finally delivered yesterday (Wednesday) at around 3 PM. That's 48 hours for Next Day Air rates. Think I'll get a refund for the difference between Next Day and Second Day Air rates ?
I seriously doubt it.

FedEx and UPS have basically turned into the USPS, with the exception their prices still being much higher. EVERY package I've either shipped, or expected to receive has been delayed in shipment over the last few months. I used to be glad to pay the higher shipping prices with FedEx or UPS because I could count on them delivering on time. Now their only advantage over USPS is a more reliable tracking system, which to me is not worth the extra cost by itself. The excuse that COVID is causing all of this is old, tired, and worn out. It's time for these companies to get their excrement back together...

I have been selling somes tuff laying around on ebay (don't get me going with that nutty platform!)
and use USPS priority. Worked well. except the buyer said they just left the package at the garage door
whereas the delivery signature service said they gave the package to someone in the house.

So much for the $500 insurance I paid 7+ bucks for.

ALL my USPS mail from Sat Nov 13 was not delivered. Never arrived, poof gone. Oh well. Question: Where does this mail go? (It was NOT stolen from the box). Checks, statements, bills and documents. Some post guy sorts out the good stuff?

Some days we never get mail, but will be in the box the next day, early AM Sometimes mail delivery is 9PM. My father in CA reports the exact same thing.

Given up on Fedex, completely. Hits one DC and will sit for at least 4-5 days. They are nearly a failing company.

UPS is OK, slow but the drivers? Just leave a package, on a rainy day in the driveway. Or sunny day in plain view. Or go to the side of the house and leave packages there randomly in the rain when we have a nice covered front porch.

None of them are worth a shirt. I get it, everyone demands cheap shipping rates. But still, it IS paid for. More or less.

Last edited:
ALL my USPS mail from Sat Nov 13 was not delivered. Never arrived, poof gone. Oh well. Question: Where does this mail go? (It was NOT stolen from the box). Checks, statements, bills and documents. Some post guy sorts out the good stuff?

Some days we never get mail, but will be in the box the next day, early AM Sometimes mail delivery is 9PM. My father in CA reports the exact same thing.

Given up on Fedex, completely. Hits one DC and will sit for at least 4-5 days. They are nearly a failing company.

UPS is OK, slow but the drivers? Just leave a package, on a rainy day in the driveway. Or sunny day in plain view. Or go to the side of the house and leave packages there randomly in the rain when we have a nice covered porch.

None of them are worth a shirt. I get it, everyone demands cheap shipping rates. But still, it IS paid for. More or less.
That's just it, FedEx and UPS AREN'T cheap. In fact their rates are higher than they've ever been, but what are we getting for these higher prices? Late deliveries and lost packages. They'd better pull their heads out of their backsides and go back to doing good business because history has proven that people will not keep putting up with this kind of lousy service. These aren't the only 2 shipping companies...

the delivery signature service
UPS shouldn't even be allowing this option because unless it's high-value (in excess of $1000 or more ??) or a controlled substance (various prescriptions) because they no longer get signatures or leave it to the driver's discretion.

Job boards here show lots of open positions at UPS and Fedex, plus UPS has been running radio ads about upcoming job fairs. One gets the impression that like everyone else they are understaffed.

FedEx has actually deliver o. Sunday which I thought was weird…
That would be Fedex Ground (very big difference in the divisions from the "air" side). They're basically like Amazon delivery - all the workers are employed by 3rd-party companies and work 7 days a week and delivering up to 9-10pm at night.

And here's my USPS saga for today: package left Gurnee, IL, last week, destination Northwest Indiana.

Package went from Gurnee to "Chicago International Distribution Center". From there, went right past NW Indiana to Indianapolis. Left Indianapolis to some sort of "Annex", also in Indianapolis. Took close to 7 hours to do that. Left the "Annex" and for the last 5 days has been 'in transit, Arriving Late.'

Gee, ya think? 😜

Friday morning, I had Amazon throw a delivery out along the street, near my mailbox. Then, they entered into the system that they had "handed it directly to a resident"... this was so the driver wouldn't have to take a picture showing the package, and where it was left.

Since that was my second botched Amazon delivery last week (the first one was two days late, courtesy of UPS), it ended up being free.

That's just it, FedEx and UPS AREN'T cheap. In fact their rates are higher than they've ever been, but what are we getting for these higher prices? Late deliveries and lost packages. They'd better pull their heads out of their backsides and go back to doing good business because history has proven that people will not keep putting up with this kind of lousy service. These aren't the only 2 shipping companies...
USPS is cheap, since when? Any priority mail package cost at least $8 or so, and goes up exponentially (slightly exaggerating) with weight. A couple pound package for me cost $20 or more using USPS. Their flat rate boxes can be a good value if you have something heavy that fits into the box. Other than that, I only use them if someone gives me a PO Box or specifically requests it. For me, Fedex has the best rates by a good margin if you’re using your own packaging.

But you can’t go into a retail store like UPS store or Fedex store, that will easily double the price. Print your shipping labels online and take it to the nearest drop center. Around here, every Dollar General accepts Fedex drop-offs and they’re practically on every street corner it seems.

USPS is cheap, since when? Any priority mail package cost at least $8 or so, and goes up exponentially (slightly exaggerating) with weight. A couple pound package for me cost $20 or more using USPS. Their flat rate boxes can be a good value if you have something heavy that fits into the box. Other than that, I only use them if someone gives me a PO Box or specifically requests it. For me, Fedex has the best rates by a good margin if you’re using your own packaging.

But you can’t go into a retail store like UPS store or Fedex store, that will easily double the price. Print your shipping labels online and take it to the nearest drop center. Around here, every Dollar General accepts Fedex drop-offs and they’re practically on every street corner it seems.
I recently shipped my motorcycle seat to a company that redoes seats. The package weighed 14 lbs, and UPS wanted $171 to ship, and FedEx wanted $184. Luckily I found a company called bikeship.com that shipped it for $96. I'm sure I could've shipped it through USPS for half of that, but they have lost so many packages lately, I won't use them anymore because I simply don't trust them...UPS and FedEx prices have gone beyond ridiculous...

Back