Fedex is on a roll lately -- late deliveries

Not having good luck with Fedex lately. One of my packages (sent from me to Vermont) sat in a sorting facility in South Burlington for about 4 days before it finally made it out for delivery, a total of a week late.

On Monday, I had a package being sent to me from Louisville, which is about 30 miles from me. Has a one day transit time (very easy one at that), somehow it took till Thursday. In the meantime my package got a free trip to Memphis and right back. Hope it had time to take in the sights! I understand Memphis is Fedex's air hub, did they confuse my ground package for an Express package?

Fedex has always been rock solid for me, so this is very unusual. Anyone else having issues lately?

Attachments

• t.jpg
    t.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 42
Yes, Ground has been missing a lot of delivery dates for me as well. The worst is when you check tracking, it still shows it'll be delivered on time but is no where near the destination.

Express still seems to be on time.

Well. I had a package going from me (in Cincinnati, SW OH) to Cleveland (SE OH) that went all the way to California, and then hit every terminal on the way back across the country! NINETEEN DAYS for what is supposed to be a ONE DAY trip! And, yes, it had a FedEx preprinted address label on it.

Things are going to be a mess for awhile thanks to covid and people not working.

Best to be patient because things aren't going to be normal for awhile.

Yes, Ground has been missing a lot of delivery dates for me as well. The worst is when you check tracking, it still shows it'll be delivered on time but is no where near the destination.

Express still seems to be on time.
Not always, I had an Express Overnight one from Cleveland to here somehow wind up in eastern PA, at least that was only 1 extra day.

That's nothing; atleast you got the package. I ordered a CAF off ebay from the midwest, shipped with USPS priority mail. It took over 45 days to receive the original package, the seller shipped another one after about 3 weeks.

I understand Memphis is Fedex's air hub, did they confuse my ground package for an Express package?
Fedex and Fedex Ground are two entirely separate companies and share nothing other than part of their name. They don't touch each other's packages at all. Actually, if you drop off a Ground package at a Fedex location, it will get routed to the Ground infrastructure - a day later oftentimes. Why ? Because Fedex Ground sends a regular courier there to pick up just like they do for customer's locations.

Fedex Ground has their own hub in Memphis too. It's close to the airport but not inside like Fedex's main hub is.

Last edited:
Yes I have been having delays with FedEx ground too! It's about 1-2 days delayed compared to when they said it would show up. FedEx Express has been much later in the day but they are keeping their commitments. On the other side, UPS is on time exactly when they said it would be delivered.

FedEx is in a lot of trouble! It's more than COVID, that's an easy excuse. Why is it that UPS or even USPS can get it there when they said they would? I've heard that the tariffs/fees are being hiked on all packages at FedEx..

Fedex and Fedex Ground are two entirely separate companies and share nothing other than part of their name. They don't touch each other's packages at all. Actually, if you drop off a Ground package at a Fedex location, it will get routed to the Ground infrastructure - a day later oftentimes. Why ? Because Fedex Ground sends a regular courier there to pick up just like they do for customer's locations.

Fedex Ground has their own hub in Memphis too. It's close to the airport but not inside like Fedex's main hub is.
They are both owned by Fedex Corp., so there's that. Indeed, they do function as separate entities. The relationship was explained to me by a Fedex account rep/salesman some years ago at a company I used to work for-- I switched them from UPS to Fedex primarily because of rates; we didn't hit our volume mark one year (sometime late in the 2008+ recession), and our UPS rates rose dramatically. We did a lot of overnight/2-day shipping and Fedex Express saved our customers about 30-40%.

Fedex ground infrastructure is vastly different than Express, which the latter has their main hub in Memphis, while ground hubs are scattered all over the country. I mentioned it because ground/express packages are often accepted at the same place, so I suppose it's not outside the realm of possibility for one to catch a flight to Memphis. Maybe it's not possible, and it's pure coincidence if it wound up on a truck there. Either way, out of hundreds of packages I've personally sent/received with Fedex, I can count on one hand how many were delayed, and usually by a day. So having two in one week raised my eyebrows...

Fun fact, Fedex Express has recently started contracting with the ground subsidiary to deliver packages to residential addresses, so you might see both being delivered by the same truck soon!

I was suppose to get a delivery today from the UPS. They sent me an Email this morning saying that the delivery was being moved back to Monday. My two day delivery is being extended out to six days.

What I want to know, is when the hell did they all stop ringing the doorbell? The last several deliveries I've gotten from UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS have just been dumped at the front door. They ALWAYS used to ring the bell, then take off. Now they don't even bother. If it wasn't for my dog, I wouldn't even know they were there. No wonder there are so many porch pirates these days.

What I want to know, is when the hell did they all stop ringing the doorbell? The last several deliveries I've gotten from UPS, Fed Ex, and USPS have just been dumped at the front door. They ALWAYS used to ring the bell, then take off. Now they don't even bother. If it wasn't for my dog, I wouldn't even know they were there. No wonder there are so many porch pirates these days.

I think I remember them saying something about the illness we cannot talk about. that somehow they didn't want to touch someone's doorbell (no pun intended here, come on get your mind out of the gutter, lol). like they'd get sick if they did.. I know FedEx express WILL ring the doorbell, that's about it.

What I want to know, is when the hell did they all stop ringing the doorbell?
Years ago around here.... For business deliveries, they still req'd signatures for a while but slowly got rid of that requirement (pre-Covid too). With businesses, they will not leave packages though like they do for residential.

No delivery service that I know of takes signatures anymore, just your name, which they type into their gadgets. This includes Fedex, Fedex Ground, trucking companies, dedicated couriers, etc. Actually just remembered that container shippers still need a signature but they're done on paper still so no one will potentially "contaminate" a driver's gadget and then expose people later on.

My recent fedex

6:24 AM HERTFORD, NCOn FedEx vehicle for delivery
6:17 AM HERTFORD, NCAt local FedEx facility
Monday, September 27, 2021
8:52 PM KERNERSVILLE, NCDeparted FedEx location
5:18 AM KERNERSVILLE, NCArrived at FedEx location
Friday, September 24, 2021
5:24 AM TRACY, CADeparted FedEx location
Thursday, September 23, 2021
7:45 AM TRACY, CAArrived at FedEx location
Wednesday, September 22, 2021
5:50 AM TRACY, CAIn transit
Tuesday, September 21, 2021
5:49 PM TRACY, CAIn transit
5:49 AM TRACY, CAIn transit
Monday, September 20, 2021
5:48 PM TRACY, CAIn transit
5:48 AM TRACY, CAIn transit
Sunday, September 19, 2021
5:48 PM TRACY, CAIn transit
5:47 AM TRACY, CAIn transit
Saturday, September 18, 2021
5:47 PM TRACY, CAIn transit
5:46 AM TRACY, CAIn transit
Friday, September 17, 2021
5:46 PM TRACY, CAIn transit
Thursday, September 16, 2021
10:53 PM FRESNO, CALeft FedEx origin facility
6:54 PM FRESNO, CAArrived at FedEx location
6:51 PM Shipment information sent to FedEx
12:00 AM FRESNO, CAPicked up

My recent fedex

6:24 AMHERTFORD, NCOn FedEx vehicle for delivery
6:17 AMHERTFORD, NCAt local FedEx facility
8:52 PMKERNERSVILLE, NCDeparted FedEx location
5:18 AMKERNERSVILLE, NCArrived at FedEx location
5:24 AMTRACY, CADeparted FedEx location
7:45 AMTRACY, CAArrived at FedEx location
5:50 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:49 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:49 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:48 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:48 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:47 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:47 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:46 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:46 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
10:53 PMFRESNO, CALeft FedEx origin facility
6:54 PMFRESNO, CAArrived at FedEx location
6:51 PMShipment information sent to FedEx
12:00 AMFRESNO, CAPicked up
At least it didn't make any crazy detours :)

My recent fedex

6:24 AMHERTFORD, NCOn FedEx vehicle for delivery
6:17 AMHERTFORD, NCAt local FedEx facility
8:52 PMKERNERSVILLE, NCDeparted FedEx location
5:18 AMKERNERSVILLE, NCArrived at FedEx location
5:24 AMTRACY, CADeparted FedEx location
7:45 AMTRACY, CAArrived at FedEx location
5:50 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:49 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:49 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:48 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:47 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:47 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:46 AMTRACY, CAIn transit
5:46 PMTRACY, CAIn transit
10:53 PMFRESNO, CALeft FedEx origin facility
6:54 PMFRESNO, CAArrived at FedEx location
6:51 PMShipment information sent to FedEx
12:00 AMFRESNO, CAPicked up

did fedex recently re-introduce the pony express? lol.. maybe the horse wanted to take the "Scenic route"! lol.. glad you got it, but wow.. like I said before, Fedex is in trouble.

Most people get a instant notification on their smart device that the package was delivered. No need to knock or ring the doorbell anymore.

Back