Features you've discovered about your car after a year or more

Nothing like putting your wife in danger.
I actually caused her to be in a safer seating position. Think about the physics of airbags and driver position. In this case she ended up placing herself farther away from the airbag with her arms more greatly extended and farther away from the bulkhead and door/front drivers corner overlap crush zone.

For people with Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram vehicles with a physical key you have to insert and turn, you can pull OBD codes by doing the “key dance” and they’ll flash up where the odometer is.

On extended downhill runs, my 2006 Tacoma 4-speed automatic will automatically downshift from overdrive to third, if the brakes are used repeatedly. (It doesn't move the shift lever but the transmission does downshift.) Obviously this is to help reduce downhill speeds with engine braking. My buddy would not believe it until I demonstrated to him. Pretty cool but pretty annoying at the same time LOL :D I had the truck about 4 years before discovering this, guess I didn't visit the mountains very often during that time... or maybe I just wasn't paying attention?

I didn't realize the little rings inside the cupholders on Rangers with the mini console were to keep smaller diameter cups and bottles from falling out of the cupholders. You raise them until they snap into their upper position and it provides side support. A friend pointed out the feature after I had been driving trucks with it for 4-5 years.

Long, long ago when I was small, my parents bought new the '54 Chevy listed below. Back then, heaters were optional. They had the OE type heater installed by the dealer. Unlike later US cars, the heater supposedly offered a choice of outside or inside (recirculated) air intake. However, the outside air setting was useless in winter, because it provided meager output of warm air, and simultaneously lots of cold air through another outlet. So, they always used the recirculate setting, which required using the fan to get any air output.

At least a decade later, as a teenager, I got curious and investigated. It turned out the dealer mechanic had misadjusted one of the control cables. After I adjusted it, the heater functioned much better with outside air intake. By then, the old Chevrolet was only a backup for their newer primary car.

Realized instead of futzing with a button in center console/display to change from normal to sport I can simply pull the gear shift all the way down to toggle between sport and normal on our 2018 Tiguan.

My sunroof did me the pleasure of getting stuck closed in my BMW. Was repaired a couple years ago and made me nervous to use it after but now I no longer need to deal with temptation!

When I purchased my Lucerne I didn't know it had factory remote start, it was a feature they didn't list online or talk about when I went for a test drive. Couple months later I decide a new key fob and key would be nice, when I started looking around is when I noticed my fobs had five buttons instead of four.

Sorry I just noticed the OP was looking for a year or more later.
No, I just meant after some time with the car. I chose a year because I have that much time in with the LaCrosse.

Okay this has gotten just plain silly. Some of you I can sympathize with regarding the hour meter on the Silverado and the express roll down window with the key fob. Those are things you wouldn’t necessarily know about unless you read the owners manual or accidentally started pushing buttons.

But how do some of you not realize that your back seat folds down or that you have a remote start button on you key fob? Those aren’t even hidden features.
It's not like there is a little sign on the back seat saying "RELEASE HERE TO FOLD SEAT DOWN." I have seen the latches, but thought they had something to do with adjusting the rear seat belts. And again, I have not had any reason to wonder about it, like wanting to bring home sheets of plywood or a large-screen TV. Everything I've transported in the car so far has fitted into the back seat without issue.

Okay this has gotten just plain silly. Some of you I can sympathize with regarding the hour meter on the Silverado and the express roll down window with the key fob. Those are things you wouldn’t necessarily know about unless you read the owners manual or accidentally started pushing buttons.

But how do some of you not realize that your back seat folds down or that you have a remote start button on you key fob? Those aren’t even hidden features.
Ya, it was a "doh" moment for me but in my defense all my prior remote starts I had installed by a stereo shop which the key fobs replaced the factory fobs.

I didn't know my 2007 Camry had rear cup holders at all until I folded the rear seat down and found them in the rear armrest. Also didn't know there was any way to open the trunk in my Mustang without using the key from the outside until I found the release button inside the glove box.

A year or so after getting my first car, an 87 Olds Cutlass supreme when I was 18 (I'm 37 now), I drove a mile or so with the left turn signal on and finally heard an insistent dinging (just barely over the stereo playing loud). Pulled over and discovered the signal light was on. Turned it off and the dinging stopped. I didn't expect a feature like that on that old of a car.

A year or so after getting my first car, an 87 Olds Cutlass supreme when I was 18 (I'm 37 now), I drove a mile or so with the left turn signal on and finally heard an insistent dinging (just barely over the stereo playing loud). Pulled over and discovered the signal light was on. Turned it off and the dinging stopped. I didn't expect a feature like that on that old of a car.

That’s a good find.

I don’t read the owners manual because most of my cars were bought used and don’t include them lol 😂 actually all of my cars except the beetle have it lol even my Mazda truck that is getting ready to turn 32 next year has the original owners manual and radio manual still I got that mostly because I knew the original owners.

??? Cars have had turn signals since at least the early 1950s.

That my JLU Rubicon can go places in 4 Hi unlocked - that my trucks needed 4 Lo + rear locker …

Back