Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

Black, plastic panels around the bottom of the entire vehicle...no dipstick or drain plug in the tranny...

As I’ve been able to afford newer cars over the past couple of decades I’ve always enjoyed the low-mid-level trims, mainly with Subaru.

Anyone who says blind spot monitors, pre-collision braking, and lane departure warnings (note: I hate lane keep assist) either hasn’t spent much or any time with these features or it’s been implemented poorly. To say that the BSM light on the side-view mirror is distracting is ridiculous. If you’re paying attention to the car in the next lane over then how would them entering yours blind-spot and the associated illumination of a light surprise or distract you? Nonsense.

Same goes for most of the other gripes listed here. Most seem to be poorly-implemented versions or those while in their infancy. As has been mentioned, there‘s stop/start done well and done poorly.

Push-button start is a negative? Really? When we get back from a road trip in our Forester (I drive usually) I always hop right into my car and reach for the button that isn’t there. It’s also a BUTTON. How failure-prone could a simple button be when many keyed-ignition switches aren’t manual anyway?

With all of that said, I’m a big fan of knobs and push-buttons instead of onscreen-only options. I also like when these buttons and knobs are placed ergonomically, not crammed closely together without any contrast between different functions.

I like many more options, but don’t have enough time to name them all.

Finally, I‘ll take as many airbags as can be fitted. There are too many idiots on the road driving monster trucks for there to only be a door panel and some glass between me and them.

Last edited:
start stop system
computer controlled parking brake
replacement of dip stick with oil level metering in the dash
plastic oil pan screws
touch screen controls
low power A/C due to co2 reduction

I know they make a bluetooth dongle that you plug in to usb on car to convert to wireless android auto.. might be something similar for carplay.
Hmm, interesting. A quick look shows there's a usb plugin to do the same for CarPlay. Cool. Thanks for the tip!

Rain sensing wipers ,every time I wash car drive me nuts thinking I have them off . Also sunroofs with one switch for roof and shade. And stupid satellite radio

New vehicles often come with 'upgraded' features and benefits such as safety or design layout, reliability issues fixed from prior models, etc. At this point you'd think the auto should be near perfected. But it seems for every 5 steps forward we take about 3 back. Here are some of the gripes as to why I don't buy new vehicles, other than outrageous costs and depreciation.

* Too many recalls. I'm not interested in being a beta tester. Recalls on things we should have long ago perfected like steering, brakes, airbags, etc. really ward me away.
* Making maintenance harder for the consumer or DIYer. The removal of dipsticks and sealed systems is a big one I detest.
* The looks - too many modern cars look the same, and are ugly. I also do not like the large bass-mouth grills, and the large obnoxious lights found on some like the trucks with the huge [ grill ] lighting. Ugh.
* Speaking of lights, why do headlights turn off when the turn signal is engaged? Who thinks losing a headlight is a good feature?
* Cars turning off when stopped at intersections. This must be really bad on the starter, fuel economy, and engine wear.
* Much cheaper materials, like paper thin leather seats and upholstery that wears out in 10k miles.

I'm sure there's more.
The headlights don't turn off when using the turn signals. The drl turns off while the turn signal blinks. It's a regulatory thing. I've only seen one Audi that didn't do this.

I don’t like all the driver assist stuff that has become very popular in the last 5 years or so. I don’t care for cylinder deactivation, start stop, and the vehicle communicating with the internet either.

I don't like transmission gear choices made by using a dial;
I don't like 20" wheels;
I don't like engine sounds piped into the vehicle through radio speakers.

All the computer crud.
For example? Would you consider the engine management system(s) crud? Anti-lock brakes? Tire pressure monitoring system? Where do you draw the line that separates crud from useful features?

Back