Features you do NOT like on new vehicles?

LOL

View attachment 65173

I will say though, radar guided cruise control is really annoying.
My daily is a '18 VW Golf Sportwagen in the base trim. Power stuff, cloth seats (heated), regular cruise, Android Auto/Apple Car Play, etc. It's great. Modern but basic. I wish it has the passive crash avoidance stuff but certainly can live without it by as many are saying...paying attention/being a defensive driver.

My daily is a '18 VW Golf Sportwagen in the base trim. Power stuff, cloth seats (heated), regular cruise, Android Auto/Apple Car Play, etc. It's great. Modern but basic. I wish it has the passive crash avoidance stuff but certainly can live without it by as many are saying...paying attention/being a defensive driver.
It’s what I like about my E90. Heated power memory seats, cruise, auto; climate control, heated mirrors and washer nozzles, wipers. Just works well. Just enough to make life more convenient. May add an android Apple car play unit which would update it to modern standards.

Last edited:
My '18 Elantra GT has so many features that I still have trouble using them.
And there probably is some I'm not aware of.
Too much tech.

Cars with multiple cameras. A backup cam I can understand, but when there are 5 or 6……eesh. When each camera fails, it’s a $2000 repair.
My wife has a 19 Pilot. The wind shield would cost 1000 to replace because of the camera. The lane departure feature kinda freaked me out and more scared my wife because she tried to move into the next lane and the car brought her back into the center lane when someone almost hit her in the center lane…it’s turned off now.

My wife has a 19 Pilot. The wind shield would cost 1000 to replace because of the camera. The lane departure feature kinda freaked me out and more scared my wife because she tried to move into the next lane and the car brought her back into the center lane when someone almost hit her in the center lane…it’s turned off now.
Tell her to use her turn signals then. ;) LKA is not active when the turn signals are on.

Stereo and climate controls that are only digital. On my Nissan there's no button for the climate, you have to cycle through "mode". The radio has 6 button presets, but everything else including more stations require looking away from the road touching the screen.

Stereo and climate controls that are only digital. On my Nissan there's no button for the climate, you have to cycle through "mode". The radio has 6 button presets, but everything else including more stations require looking away from the road touching the screen.
Agreed. Don't move critical HVAC controls to the screen only. Acura does this. Screen dies? Ooops, cant turn on the defrost, or A/C or heat.

Edit: imagine screen breaking on a Tesla? You won’t be able to do anything.

Last edited:
Touchscreens. Prefer something like the Mercedes-Benz COMAND wheel. Simple, can select what I want by one glance and remember by clicks and presses. Maybe the touchpad that replaced it is better.
You know how cable companies offer you 500 channels but you watch 15 or 20. That's how I feel about several new features on new cars. It's a big list, but what are you going to use even once a week.

There is no need for cars to be more complicated than they were in the 90s. Any gains from emissions since then has a miniscule benefit compared with the cost to build and repair these features.

Some of the vehicles' complexity comes from customer expectations and manufacturers shoving it down our throats.

I give a pass to side curtain air bags.

I’m not thrilled with the look of the dash, it has the appearance of a last moment urge to slap a lap top screen on the middle of the dashboard.
I feel cars should have some style and not look like an afterthought from a Best Buy store.
Smoky

Kinda hard to do when someone doesnt see you in their blind spot. Besides what ever happened to simplicity…or you came from era that depends on technology.

As he said, the LKA won't try to correct lanes if the turn signal is used... Why does being in someone's blind spot make it hard to use the turn signal?

Kinda hard to do when someone doesnt see you in their blind spot. Besides what ever happened to simplicity…or you came from era that depends on technology.

So why not turn signals? For me it’s a habit. If I change lanes I use the turn signals whether anyone is there or not.

For the record I turned off my lane jeep assist as well. I still have the BSM activated which alerts me both visually in the HUD and in the mirror as well as a audio alert.

I need Rosie the robot to clean my house!

rosie.jpg

So why not turn signals? For me it’s a habit. If I change lanes I use the turn signals whether anyone is there or not.

For the record I turned off my lane jeep assist as well. I still have the BSM activated which alerts me both visually in the HUD and in the mirror as well as a audio alert.
Read what I said. She had to quick miniver into the next lane cause some jerk didn’t see her in the middle lane. Oh sorry let me worry about my turn signal so I can by pass the system so I can get out of your way.

As he said, the LKA won't try to correct lanes if the turn signal is used... Why does being in someone's blind spot make it hard to use the turn
As he said, the LKA won't try to correct lanes if the turn signal is used... Why does being in someone's blind spot make it hard to use the turn signal?
When you have to make a quick maneuver to avoid them hitting you…who’s you going to worry about using a turn single at that point.

My new Jaguar has quirky electronic features. The Lane Keep Assistance feature can be programmed to either just vibrate the steering wheel when I get outside the lane stripes or markers, or can actually apply force to the wheel if I do so without using the turn signals. I live in the mountains and drive a lot of narrow 2 lane roads and keeping exactly within the lane markings is often difficult.

So I turned the stupid thing off completely. But it is tied into the Blind Spot Monitor feature. If the LKA is disabled, the BSM only lights up the icons on the mirrors when a car is already in the blind spot. If you want the icons to light up as a vehicle is approaching the blind spot but not yet next to your vehicle, the LKA needs to be on also. That's dumb. My Mazda BSM is adjustable for the distance it detects another vehicle and will either beep and light up the icons or just light them up. The LKA works similarly, giving the driver some preference settings.

The only sensible thing Jaguar did was make disabling the start/stop feature as simple as pulling a connector from a control module under the trunk storage bin. A 30 second job and easy enough to reconnect should I ever sell the car.

At least JLR doesn't use Lucas electrics any longer.

Back