Favorite "garage hands" soap?

I read the topic about the Fast Orange hand cleaner from 1999 and it got me thinking, what do you guys use, whether it be at home or at work, and what do you like about it or dislike?

For about 6 months now I've been working as a detailer and I travel between a couple local Nissan dealerships which are owned by the same guy.

I don't like to wear gloves when I am cleaning out used car trade-ins that are being prepped for resale or customer details because when I wear gloves I can't feel what I'm working on (such as fine surface dirt, scratches on paint, rough surfaces, cloth interiors etc) and I also drop my tools easily. And as a result my hands get dirty actually quite surprisingly fast.

Our dealerships are served by Cintas and we have two dispensers, one with Zep Cherry Bomb and the other has Zep Shell Shock. Personally they both work about the same for me but I prefer the smoother feeling of the Cherry Bomb.

One of the dealerships is served by a company called Custom Solutions (I think that's who they are) and they use a different soap called Magic which after looking it up apparently is sold by several other vendors and looks like this:

S1450.jpg

and I prefer this one the most, it's got the walnut shells in it but its very fine, almost like sand, not coarse like Zep Shell Shock.

Man I don’t know if I can list all of them here. I’ve used many hand cleaners because when I find them on sale I stock up.
Zep Cherry Bomb
Zep Orange
Zep Shell Shock
Zep Double Play
Scott Blue Hand Cleaner
Permatex Grease Grabber
Purple Power Hand Cleaner
Purple Power Cherry
GoJo Supro Max
Gojo Orange
GoJo Eco Formula
GoJo Original Formula
Jacks Manufacturing Walnut Hand Cleaner
Zote
Fels Naptha
Lava
Fast Orange Bar Soap
Fast Orange Liquid Soap
Goop
Tarkelp
Mules Head Head Cleaner
Snap-on Hand Cleaner
Mac Hand Cleaner
Dish Soap

That’s all I can think of right now but I’ve probably used more. At work we have the Cherry Bomb currently and Jacks Manufacturing Walnut Hand Cleaner and the rest I’ve used at home and have Cherry Bomb at home as well.

Is it Cherry scented too? I love the smell of cherries.
No, it has very little smell except maybe a hint of lanolin. Hands are clean and feel great after using it though, I think it uses some sort of wood pulp as an abrasive not pumice or shells, it does not dry your skin out after using it many times a day (I am not a glove wearer except for chemicals).

No, it has very little smell except maybe a hint of lanolin. Hands are clean and feel great after using it though, I think it uses some sort of wood pulp as an abrasive not pumice or shells, it does not dry your skin out after using it many times a day (I am not a glove wearer except for chemicals).
That’s great. I hate ones that dry the skin. I don’t wear gloves either unless their is chemicals or gas or something.

I have a big thing of GoJo in the basement that my dad bought in 2007 that expired in 2010 but still works great today. Just the pump stopped working this morning 😒. Oh well I can take the straw out and put it on my hands that way.

Back