Sometimes You Just Can't Complain...

... with dealerships that is as I've always been a fan of the local Nissan dealership for routine service as well as a bit of wear/tear parts replacement. Changed oil for decades until health changes/living arrangement(s) make it more trouble than it's worth, so I don't mind paying a bit more for it to be done. Dealership might cost a bit more for some things, but the detail to doing things efficiently, in a clean/timely manner and be provided with updates in the process is just unbeatable. Dealership I frequent uses seat/floormat covers and used to throw a plastic sleeve on the steering wheel. Car has always looked as good as it did when I arrived, no mess, no fuss, etc. I recently decided to have a bit of routine service done at an independent shop where I got tires a few yrs ago. Very friendly, decent pricing, etc. A few problems though... made an appt listing what I wanted done, get there and no sign of me in their system at all. OK, no big deal... waited 2 hrs. exactly for an oil/filter change, tire rotation and A/C pressure test and asked them to check the transfer case fluid level. They clearly had no idea on how to check the transfer case level and were looking at the CVT dipstick, which has nothing to do with the gear oil in the transfer case... anyway, so I paid and drove away. Get home and gave it a good look and clearly several oz. of old oil was splashed underneath when the filter was changed. No problem as some vehicles are a pain to change oil and keep clean, but at least wipe the stuff up and not just have it drip all over. Then the floormat had nasty smears of oily/sand residue, boot scuffs on the door, dirty steering wheel, etc. Again, I have worked on cars for a long time and doing maintenance and keeping the car clean can be involved, but **** at least wash your hands/swipe your shoes/boots off now/then.

Main reason for going there was to get the transfer case level checked as it's awkward to try doing it from the garage floor at home and to have the A/C pressure checked as the car is 9 yrs old and never had an issue with the air, just keeping things in check. Another reason I chose there is because they answered my message about service much faster than the dealership did this time around. From this point on I will gladly pay a bit more to ensure the dealership visit is available as they are Nissan specific and it clearly shows in this case. No need for me to complain to the company that did the work as I'm just another customer, but I will leave an honest review just so others are aware.

I don't believe it's a dealership or independent thing, it's just a shop and employee thing. If you can afford it, and you are not capable of DIY service then the dealership is relatively the best choice most of the time. They're the "least incompetent" because they're focused on a narrower product line and tools and training are financed by the largest companies in the world.

I don't believe it's a dealership or independent thing, it's just a shop and employee thing. If you can afford it, and you are not capable of DIY service then the dealership is relatively the best choice most of the time. They're the "least incompetent" because they're focused on a narrower product line and tools and training are financed by the largest companies in the world.
Yep I can agree as most independents are kind of like multi-tools in that they can do most jobs in a decent manner, whereas the dealership will be job specific. I will say most dealerships I've been to definitely are striving to ensure satisfied/repeat customers. I will say the only real complaint I have had with the dealership visits is the sales pitch. The phone calls/texts/mail stating 'hey, noticed you were having service done and thought you might be interested in a BRAND NEW NISSAN.....' or how they will send an offer for a free oil change when you visit for customer appreciation day... yeah another sales pitch hoping you will jump into a new ride once there.

I have always liked the VW dealerships I have dealt with. They did and do a very good job for me. Yes, I pay more than doing it myself as I did for decades but health and painful knees necessitated that I get my work done by someone else. Those dealers have NEVER tried to sell me something I did not need. They keep excellent records, send me reminders and jobs are always well done and done in a timely fashion.

Not wiping up oil change mess is my biggest quick lube pet peeve, but my dealership did it too on the last change on my company truck.

I bought our Lexus GS350 under CPO at Putnam Lexus in Redwood City (Mom and Pop dealership). It included 6 services and whatever; I forget exactly. They always warshed and vacuumed the car and gave me a loaner. Pretty fair shake. Even changed the key fob battery.

I had an independent shop program a key fob for me the other day. It was for my 2005 Corvette and I had a new fob with a new battery. We are going on a Corvette cruise real soon and wanted a spare. Now FWIW I give this shop a little of my business and they have always been honest. To make a long story short they charged me $0.00 to program the new fob. The dealership wanted $100.00. I gave the guy $20.00 and he knows I will be back to give him more business. Once you find a good shop they will generally not cheat you. I still enjoy doing a lot of work myself however there are some things you just have to farm out.

Back