"Gas" Station of the future....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I would imagine too that the utilities will use the EV batteries that are at rest for backup storage.

Not if the owner of the EV unplugged the car.

Wow, just wow. Could a home charging station have a large enough battery to take advantage of solar off peak rates and hold the charge to top off your electric car ? Use the batteries as a "day tank?" Is this practical?

Originally Posted By: andyd
Wow, just wow. Could a home charging station have a large enough battery to take advantage of solar off peak rates and hold the charge to top off your electric car ? Use the batteries as a "day tank?" Is this practical?

Depends on what you mean by Practical...doable and expensive, yes yes yes.

Power wall 2 is 13.5KWh, and if that fits your EV and Commute, then you could commit the entire unit to getting off peak electricity and charging your car.

Amortise your $10,000 over 10 years, say 250 commutes per year - $4 per trip to pay for the battery.

Using MY peak/off peak pricing 30c/KWh vers 12c, and throwing away the 10% charge ration loss

So buying a powerwall to charge offpeak for a 13.5KWh commute costs 15 KWh x $0.12/KWh, or $1.80.
Your 13.5KWh commute is $4+$1.80, or $5.80 per trip.

Just charging it at peak is $4.05, or $1.75/day cheaper than using the battery for arbitrage on energy pricing.

Just for SHOZ, as that's the next "look over there", install solar panels so that you charge your batteries for "free", there's another $4 grand, $1.60 amortised per commute.

So ignoring any days that the panels are snow covered, the "free" energy option is $4.00+$1.60 per commute, or $5.60.

That 13.5KWh would get you a 60 mile round trip in a model 3.

$5.60 per day for 60 mile round trip, you could buy diesel for your dodge ram.

Time-of-use rates can manage EV charging, new report says

Shannow, I just post this to keep you up to date on the new developments. Don't want you to be left in the dark on these matters....
lol.gif

Time-of-use rates can manage EV charging, new report says

Shannow, I just post this to keep you up to date on the new developments. Don't want you to be left in the dark on these matters....
lol.gif

All over it...don't you recall I predicted to one Tesla pundit on BITOG a couple of years ago that he wouldn't be charging his Tesla overnight in Ca at "off peak" rates, and that with renewables, off peak would be the middle of the day ?

Nothing will stop you charging your car any time of the day, but if people thing gas prices are volatile...
interim_tou_hawaiian_electric.jpg

But where in the article does it SAY that TOU will "manage" EV charging"?...that's your spin.

It simply states that Time of use charging changes behaviours in the test group (and yes that scales to the wider population)

Quote:
has concluded time-of-use (TOU) rates were effective at helping push those loads off peak, which will help the utility avoid building additional power plants.

You could equally have stated that the article says that EV penetration will push utility prices up (which it will).

In any event, take my gas station model, and remove the initial assumption that the customers are evenly spread over a 24 hour period, and instead all turn up between 9 and 5 (assuming their bosses give them special "recharge" leave)...makes the land required and number of plugs bigger.

Until the infrastructure is able to handle millions of ev owners plugging in their cars when they get home from work, the whole idea of a total electric fleet is moot. Add to that the nimby attitude of building power generating stations.

In other news, I heard that WA state where I reside is looking into a tax based on miles traveled versus the gasoline tax which is currently one of the highest in the country. EV owners of course are squawking about this. Oregon passed the same law a while back.

PS: WA state gasoline tax is currently 49.4¢ per gallon Federal tax is 18.4¢. We are second highest in the US.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I would imagine too that the utilities will use the EV batteries that are at rest for backup storage.

Not if the owner of the EV unplugged the car.

Tesla have a one way valve on the electrons.

The EV's being used for grid stability is a trojan horse that keeps getting wheeled out, when a look at it in even a simplistic method
* range anxiety - how much of my tank am I going to let you play with ?
* Levelised cost of storage - I need at LEAST 25c/KWh margin between my buy price and the return price to pay for the cycling cost on the battery.

Even then the "storage" isn't going to be used like a distributed power station.

The much vaunted Tesla "big battery in South Australia isn't being used for the "storage of x many houses" as they keep offering, they are only charging it to 60% average, and arbitraging the price differential, sniping at the FCAS market.

full-688-18779-big_battery.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back