Fastest diesel vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The old Mercedes C111 streamliner ran about 200 MPH on a 3 liter 5 cylinder turbodiesel (OM617.95x). As I recall, they took it down to Italy to the Nardo track and set all the Diesel speed records from 10 km through 24 hours in a single run. Got about 17 mpg doing it, too.

Porsche Macan S Diesel is listed as having 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, which is faster than the Touareg.

Even Audi Q5 TDI (V6) is faster than the Touareg V10, for some reason.

Then there is the TDI powered Audi R10 race car, that I'm sure is a lot quicker than that, but not street legal.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: MalfunctionProne
Off the top of my head.. I would guess VW Touraeg TDI 10-cyl.

Fastest diesel car/SUV/truck?

I would assume Mazda's racing diesel is up there.

Originally Posted By: glock19
As far as street legal cars I would think the Alpina D3 is near the top.

All that power AND 44mpg (5.3l/100km) combined (according to the generous European measurement standards.)

350hp/520lb-ft
4.6s 0-60
174mph top speed
44mpg
4000lb towing capacity

Really sounds like an unrealistic wish list, doesn't it?
http://www.alpina-automobiles.com/en/all-models/d3-biturbo/highlights/

Impressive bit of kit.
We wouldn't buy hybrids if we had small diesels in passenger cars like the Europeans do.
Thank the EPA for that. Bunch of pukes.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Porsche Macan S Diesel is listed as having 0-60 in 5.5 seconds, which is faster than the Touareg.

Even Audi Q5 TDI (V6) is faster than the Touareg V10, for some reason.

Then there is the TDI powered Audi R10 race car, that I'm sure is a lot quicker than that, but not street legal.
smile.gif

This^^^

The BMW 3 series diesel is no slouch. And thankfully not some obtuse SUV/crossover thing.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
The fastest Diesel vehicle I'm aware of, is the JCB Dieselmax Streamliner.

jcb_dieselmax.jpg

This was the one I was thinking about. 350 MPH.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
The BMW 3 series diesel is no slouch. And thankfully not some obtuse SUV/crossover thing.

They used to offer a 3-liter turbo diesel in their 3-series, but no longer. Right now it's only the 2-liter TD, which isn't all that quick, relatively speaking.

However, they do offer the 3-liter TD on the X5 SUV.

Diesels keep on making moreand more power as they are fed more and more air and fuel ,,,until they blow up.

This one is not slow http://www.bankspower.com/magazines/show/535-Diesel-Land-Speed-Record-%E2%80%94-Goal-of-Project-Sidewinder

A production vehicle you can actually buy, just not sadly in the US.

The 603 and 606 are able to make all kinds of power, and the Fin's tune them like Cummins in this country. I love the sound a properly tuned 603 makes on its cam, fantastically high revving diesel, 5k+ rpm no problem. They hum at about 4k, which in my old car was 110mph, loved that speed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mcrn
This one is not slow http://www.bankspower.com/magazines/show/535-Diesel-Land-Speed-Record-%E2%80%94-Goal-of-Project-Sidewinder

Yes, that one went 226 mph on the salt back in 2002. There is a YouTube video on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back