Family’s 2017 Hyundai Tucson grenades

My Wife has Leased a bunch of Hyundai's but I swear the 2.4 in her 2019 Tucson(5k OCIs) made more of a racket than my XJs 4.0 at cold start by the time she turned it in.

Search on Reddit for “Hyundai engine graveyard.” Some good pictures of pallets stacked with failed engines. Apparently some Hyundai techs dedicate every day to engine replacements. I imagine they make good money.

Maybe your 4.0L needs a top end rebuild, mine is silent
It has over 200k no doubt, but the top end is quiet not so much the bottom. When I did my RMS I checked the side crank clearance and it was the middle of the spec so 🤷‍♂️ I'll rebuild it when it blows :D

My Mom's got a 2019 Tucson 1.6. I will not be a bit surprised if the transmission grenades before too much longer. I visited in November and drove it quite a bit. That transmission made some seriously wrong gear change decisions, was incredibly indecisive and exhibited shift flare in 2-3 and 3-4 gear changes. I tried to give it some leeway considering it's dual clutch and sometimes feel kind of weird (to me). Very nice little car otherwise, but driving it is an experiment in how much nerve you have to get far from home in it. She gets it serviced on time exclusively at a dealership, so the warranty is there. Good thing for her.

My Mom's got a 2019 Tucson 1.6. I will not be a bit surprised if the transmission grenades before too much longer. I visited in November and drove it quite a bit. That transmission made some seriously wrong gear change decisions, was incredibly indecisive and exhibited shift flare in 2-3 and 3-4 gear changes. I tried to give it some leeway considering it's dual clutch and sometimes feel kind of weird (to me). Very nice little car otherwise, but driving it is an experiment in how much nerve you have to get far from home in it. She gets it serviced on time exclusively at a dealership, so the warranty is there. Good thing for her.
Yeah, when I heard they were intending on paying to have the engine replaced / rebuilt all I could think of is the next thing to go will likely be the transmission. They probably are unaware of the horrible track record on those.

I know of at least one couple who had an elantra I think. It had the 1.6 and according to the husband it burned oil and supposedly had really bad valve tick. He let it get repo'd. He said Hyundai told him nothing can be done as the engine he had wasn't recalled.

My coworker had a 2012 elantra bought new with "North American car of the year" license plate frames. I rode in the car and was very impressed in comparison to my 2012 Corolla. Around 70,000 miles the engine got really loud and was using oil. The car was always dealer maintened on time. I also remember everytime he got the car serviced they recorded the mileage and he got gas cards because hyundai lied about the gas mileage estimates.

My co-worker has a 2017 Elantra and some how the thing still runs. I helped her change the headlight bulb in the parking lot at work one day and checked the oil. Didn't even touch the stick and I think it was 6,000 miles overdue on the oil change. Yet, it keeps on running!

Yes, they did do an oil change the next morning.

I remember everybody wondering how Hyundai and Kia could put so many electronic gizmos and have such good infotainment systems for such low prices, well now we know, they cut corners on engine design.
My understanding is that it is not the design that is the problem. Supposedly, they copy the design of good engines from other companies but the quality of the metal and the quality of the tolerances that are held is total garbage. Put that together with a good design and you still end up with a total piece of garbage.

That an ICE is not perfectly reliable after 100 years of this concept with trillions of accumilated miles, well I have no more ideas.

Yes I get that the last 30 years has added a plethora of technology to increase output, decrease fuel used, reduce harm to planet, but the issues that plague Hyundkia are pretty basic level stuff. I guess you really do have to design right, pay for quality raw materials and monitor your manufacturing processes or you're doomed.

I also remember everytime he got the car serviced they recorded the mileage and he got gas cards because hyundai lied about the gas mileage estimates.
I don't know the rate, but i take mine every year for a mileage record and i get a card for $30-100 depending on mileage. For as long as i own the car.

Don't know if this is the classic example of "they don't make them like they used" to or not, but our 2004 Elantra GLS just turned 217K and is still going strong. Haven't had any unexpected repairs except a leaky radiator and blown CV axles. It still keeps to about 1/2 qt./5K OCI, less since I changed the valve cover gasket. I've done all the maintenance and repairs myself and can zip through a timing belt change in about 3 hours now since I've done 4 of them. All the usuals like tires, brakes, shocks/struts, etc. but car has been rock solid and very cheap to drive. Father-in-law bought it new and I maintained it for him until he gave it to my son when he started driving. He had it for 6 years until we paid it forward 3 years ago and gave it to the next door neighbor's kid when he started driving. I still do the maintenance for them because I work cheap, pizza, beer, and a good cigar will get me to do quite a bit. I think when Hyundai started to turbo-charge and make the engines much more sophisticated/stressed is when it went to h*ll.

My understanding is that it is not the design that is the problem. Supposedly, they copy the design of good engines from other companies but the quality of the metal and the quality of the tolerances that are held is total garbage. Put that together with a good design and you still end up with a total piece of garbage.
From my experience on a previous vehicle ('08 Kia Sorento), I would have to agree with this somewhat. If you look under a 1/1.5 gen Sorento, you'd swear you were looking under a Toyota truck/suv (4Runner)...especially, the rear axle. Like the Toyota's the Sorento had a 3rd member type axle...almost a copy of the Toyota rear axles. It looked like a Toyota axle, but it was not built like a Toyota axle. I swear, they must have used powdered metal in the assembly because after a while (I've heard as little as 50,000 miles), it will start to self destruct. This was/is such a big problem for these vehicles that the part supply ran out...new and used. It is the main reason I got rid of mine and now drive an Xterra.

With all the other solid proven options out there made by other companies I scratch my head why if people know the history of Hyundai/Kia engine failures why they still buy them. Hopefully they can get a free replacement engine.

I agree I would be hesitant to buy a Kia/Hyundai and this is from a previous VW owner. For basic transportation they have too many issues. At least VW's made some cars with good driving dynamics

One of my friends had a 2017 Tucson 1.6T that he just traded because of oil consumption. Not sure of the details but the dealer said it needed a new engine, no longer in warranty.

Hyundai engine durability tanked after the GEMA split. Up until that point Hyundai was using GEMA engines and variations of Mitsubishi and whoever else’s engines and they were generally reliable. Hyundais were across the board pretty reliable starting at the beginning of the new millennium up until around the end of the first decade. The GEMA split and Hyundais push to GDI and turbo charging using their own engine designs is when Hyundai engine reliability tanked big time.

I do have high hopes for the newer Smartstream 2.5 engine family with the dual Port/GDI injection though. The Smartream 1.6T is nothing more than a revised Gamma 1.6T which I have very, very little confidence in.

Last edited:
Back