Family’s 2017 Hyundai Tucson grenades

I got word that my cousins 2017 Tucson (with the 1.6t) blew the engine. The turbo was shot and there was metal caked all through the engine. The car has just below 100k. They are not the original owners so no powertrain warranty left. Hyundai has a lot going for it, but it seems apparent to me that they have still not solved their engine problems. Of the 6 Hyundai owners in our circle, 3 have had blown engines, and 1 currently has major oil burning. That’s a small sample size, but I think it paints a big picture.

Anyway, I told him to contact corporate and request goodwill assistance, not sure if he has gone through with that yet.

Their na 2.0 isn't as troublesome. But still it shouldn't have failed at all. I wonder what caused the failure.

Most sources I have read including many here state that the 1.6 T is MORE reliable than the 2.0/2.4 family.
I have also read that the 1.6 Gamma engines are better than the theta 2. I suppose any engine can have a problem. Of the other failures in your family, do you know off the top of your head if any were 1.6l?

I wonder what oils your family members are running in those Hyundais, and what OCIs they're practicing? Hyundai has been unbelievably bad at informing customers how to correctly maintain their vehicles, namely what type of oil to use, viscosity, and most importantly, how much in each engine. I don't know if I've seen any other manufacturer in recent history issuing TSBs that "magically" increases total sump capacity by a quart or more other than Hyundai. Was it sheer incompetence or was it done on purposes? Probably we'll never know. Next time, buy Mazda or Toyota, I guess. I'd love me a Mazda 3 Hatchback with a 6 speed manual.

I have also read that the 1.6 Gamma engines are better than the theta 2. I suppose any engine can have a problem. Of the other failures in your family, do you know off the top of your head if any were 1.6l?
One was a newer Santa Fe 2.4, one was a 2012 ish Sonata (seized at 110k) and the other is also a 2011/12 Sonata consuming oil.

My sister's purchased new 2017 Tuscan 2.0 became a major oil burner at fairly low miles (80k kms) a couple of years ago. Used one litre per 1000kms (1 quart per 600 miles). Hyundai just gave her the run-around, she eventually gave up and traded it in at a Ford dealer. If Hyundai had looked after her, hers and my opinion of Hyundai would be positive. Things can fail and stuff can go wrong. It's the way she was treated that left a really bad impression.

Reactions: JC1
My sister's purchased new 2017 Tuscan 2.0 became a major oil burner at fairly low miles (80k kms) a couple of years ago. Used one litre per 1000kms (1 quart per 600 miles). Hyundai just gave her the run-around, she eventually gave up and traded it in at a Ford dealer. If Hyundai had looked after her, hers and my opinion of Hyundai would be positive. Things can fail and stuff can go wrong. It's the way she was treated that left a really bad impression.
Yep. His brother has the same model but with the 2.0, hopefully theirs does better.

Another day in Hyundai paradise.

I have a relative boyfriend who is meticulous taking care of cars (OCD) and dad private jet pilot into it and lost the engine on their Hyundai 1.6T too.

Drives a Honda now.

I got word that my cousins 2017 Tucson (with the 1.6t) blew the engine. The turbo was shot and there was metal caked all through the engine. The car has just below 100k. They are not the original owners so no powertrain warranty left. Hyundai has a lot going for it, but it seems apparent to me that they have still not solved their engine problems. Of the 6 Hyundai owners in our circle, 3 have had blown engines, and 1 currently has major oil burning. That’s a small sample size, but I think it paints a big picture.

Anyway, I told him to contact corporate and request goodwill assistance, not sure if he has gone through with that yet.
I'm not saying they have or they haven't fixed their issues - I'm just saying a 6-year-old engine with an unknown maintenance history doesn't tell you one way or the other if they have or haven't. What are the years on the other engines? It is my understanding that the newer PFI engines seem to be doing much better. Now, this may be because I own one and it's wishful thinking...lol...I'll let you know in +10 years when it reaches 100k miles.

FWIW...I only bought a KIA because it was PFI and it would be low mileage, I will take really great care of it, and by the time it hits 100k miles in 10 years, it won't be worth anything anyway and I will have gotten my money out of it. If it still runs well then it's a bonus. I'm going to drive it into the ground until it grenades one way or the other. IMO these are not for people who put a ton of miles on a vehicle and want to sell it for some value with +100K miles.

You can see in my signature I've gone thick for the Kia - not sure it matters but worth a try. What about the warranty? Yeah, I run 0W-20 in the RX 350 and will send in two 0W20 samples every time I change the RX 350 oil and label one the Kia at the appropriate mileage intervals of 5k miles. I figure it's hard to deny warranty when I have serial oil samples showing used but still good 0W20 that matches the expected mileage and time intervals.

Last edited:
With all the other solid proven options out there made by other companies I scratch my head why if people know the history of Hyundai/Kia engine failures why they still buy them. Hopefully they can get a free replacement engine.
I honestly don't think the information is really out there. I thought about buying one in 2019 - before i was involved in this site, and google search, etc came up with a bunch of recalls and such, but all of them say its under warranty to 100K, so don't worry be happy.

Honestly I don't think the buying public has a clue how bad they are.

Its too bad as well - they make some nice looking vehicles for not a lot of money. Building an engine in this day and age shouldn't be an issue.

I honestly don't think the information is really out there. I thought about buying one in 2019 - before i was involved in this site, and google search, etc came up with a bunch of recalls and such, but all of them say its under warranty to 100K, so don't worry be happy.

Honestly I don't think the buying public has a clue how bad they are.

Its too bad as well - they make some nice looking vehicles for not a lot of money. Building an engine in this day and age shouldn't be an issue.
Yet they have been doing ship engines for a good while … Can’t make a better 4 banger …

We have 2 Tucsons at work with the base engines at work (2.0 I believe) and they have been through 5 engines between them. Both at about 60k, bought new and dealer maintained.

I would not touch any Hyundai 4 cyl engine. The 6 cylinders seem fine.
That’s a crying shame. We had our family over tonight, my brother said a friend of ours just bought one for his family (he and his wife are expecting). People don’t do research!

That’s a crying shame. We had our family over tonight, my brother said a friend of ours just bought one for his family (he and his wife are expecting). People don’t do research!
sure they do research. it’s just that utube artistes make nice coin with 90% of their videos discussing styling tweaks and infotainment. granite countertops on four wheels.

3 blown engines of the same brand in one family tells me to stay away from that brand. I can't think of one engine failure ever in my family since I started driving in '73.

Correction, I blew the engine in a 1967 VW fastback that I paid $275 for and beat like a rented mule for 9 months.

Ugh.

To be fair, they drive really nice and we have had almost no trouble out of them for anything not under the hood. Under the hood is an absolute dumpster fire though. When the engines blow there is no warning, they go from seemingly fine to grenaded in a minute. When not blowing engines they are a case study in all the different places you can leak coolant. Ours are 2017s.

Hyundai has been very good honoring the warranty but it takes a couple months to get it done. Supposedly last time one was in we were told there were 50 in line in the back lot, but I can’t verify that it’s second hand information.

Back