Fake Honda 15400-PLM-A01? Or am I being paranoid?

I do agree the dots are some sort of code, I am not sure what but they mean something to ROKI. I have even seen a dot in the middle of the diamond.

Best way to cut them is with a filter cutter, Summit, Jegs and Amazon carry them. You can also use a muffler pipe cutter or chan type pipe cutter. Might as well just get a filter cutter, you're going to want to cut and post the used ones for us too
smile.gif

If you don't want to mess with it, you can send it to me an I will do it. PM me if you are interested in that.

Originally Posted by Matagonka
OEMs are not that special...…….Fram Ultra, Amsoil, Mobil 1, STP XL, K&N are much better filters than Honda's OEM.....
When it comes to efficiency, using the oft posted Amsoil data point and other information that appears to confirm, I'd agree. That said, for some that alone may not be a priority.

I would like to see one of the suspect fake A01 cut open and pics posted to see if it is. As for how to cut one open linked is a recent thread on topic. As there wouldn't be a concern about shavings on unused, hacksaw or Dremel type tool would work too.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/foru...-filter-cutter-for-the-price#Post4952474

Originally Posted by researcher

I had to zoom into the picture, no none of mine have that little line from the diamond to the dot. I have checked. I do apologize for missing that, I didn't see it on my cell phone when looking at the picture. Once I zoomed in on my much larger PC monitor then I could see it. That DOES look odd! Definitely cut that sucker open (if you don't return them). I thought the discussion was about blaming the number of dots around the diamond.

EDIT: One more thing.. What seller did you get these from on Amazon??

idk what made my spider sense tingle from the moment the filters arrived, but at this point im glad they did! The seller was "Mower Partsman." I chose that seller because in the questions section on Amazon, you can see that the specifically guarantee that you will get A01 filters instead of A02...

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by DuckRyder
I do agree the dots are some sort of code, I am not sure what but they mean something to ROKI. I have even seen a dot in the middle of the diamond.

Best way to cut them is with a filter cutter, Summit, Jegs and Amazon carry them. You can also use a muffler pipe cutter or chan type pipe cutter. Might as well just get a filter cutter, you're going to want to cut and post the used ones for us too
smile.gif

If you don't want to mess with it, you can send it to me an I will do it. PM me if you are interested in that.

i'll might take you up on that offer. If I don't just cut it open with my dremel, I would prefer it to be cut as cleanly as possible, and instead of me trying to take pictures and send you guys the pictures, you'll know best what to look for and you can post it. I would probably send you all 5 of them, and you can inspect them. I would appreciate getting them back, even the cut open ones in case I decide to try and file a complaint with amazon or something. I would obviously pay shipping both directions. I will let you know.

Originally Posted by Metfanant
Originally Posted by researcher

I had to zoom into the picture, no none of mine have that little line from the diamond to the dot. I have checked. I do apologize for missing that, I didn't see it on my cell phone when looking at the picture. Once I zoomed in on my much larger PC monitor then I could see it. That DOES look odd! Definitely cut that sucker open (if you don't return them). I thought the discussion was about blaming the number of dots around the diamond.

EDIT: One more thing.. What seller did you get these from on Amazon??

idk what made my spider sense tingle from the moment the filters arrived, but at this point im glad they did! The seller was "Mower Partsman." I chose that seller because in the questions section on Amazon, you can see that the specifically guarantee that you will get A01 filters instead of A02...

[Linked Image]

That seller has a very good reputation on Amazon, it increases my confidence they are not fake. However I have not ever bought from him.

smile.gif

i'll might take you up on that offer. If I don't just cut it open with my dremel, I would prefer it to be cut as cleanly as possible, and instead of me trying to take pictures and send you guys the pictures, you'll know best what to look for and you can post it. I would probably send you all 5 of them, and you can inspect them. I would appreciate getting them back, even the cut open ones in case I decide to try and file a complaint with amazon or something. I would obviously pay shipping both directions. I will let you know.

Just let me know, I'll help however you like (including sending them back). I think I do a pretty good job with clean cuts and pictures.... It won't be my first A01 either.

I think I do a pretty good job with clean cuts and pictures.

You definitely do a great job with C&Ps.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Yes, DuckRyder does a fantastic job on C&Ps.

Other PC data from the UOA forum I've plotted. This is the family of IOS cleanliness curves I would expect based on the filter's ISO 4548-12 efficiency ratings.

Went back in time a bit and dug up a microgreen ISO number set one from 9K and one from 13K miles.

The one we basically said outed them as not being truthful.

Interesting.

UD

Screen Shot 2019-01-23 at 2.36.09 PM.png

[...IMO, there is always room for errors in collecting and testing the UO samples. Only way to get good controlled test methods would be for the same people to collect samples exactly the same way, and to test the UO in the same lab on the same test equipment by the same people running the tests. ...

While I don't necessarily disagree that more controlled testing would be better, it isn't my first rodeo on oil sample pulling and both of these (note the same filter turned in essentially the same numbers 2000 or so miles earlier) were pulled with a sample pump and clean tubing.

Originally Posted by WellOiled

Yes, DuckRyder does a fantastic job on C&Ps.

Thanks guys, appreciated.

I always enjoy DR's posts.

The Ao1-2-3 thing is meaningful to me as a Honda owner.

Thanks

Uncle Dave

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
It's an oil filter not A Rolex. You will use it for months and throw it away.

So you would have no issue with potentially running a counterfeit oil filter? With no idea about the actual construction of the filter inside the can?

Originally Posted by OILJUNKIE
It's an oil filter not A Rolex. You will use it for months and throw it away.

So you would have no issue with potentially running a counterfeit oil filter? With no idea about the actual construction of the filter inside the can?

Hey, a fake Rolex looks great and works, so guess so. LoL (j/k).

I received these filters last week from Metfanant.

I weighed his 5, one of mine and a HAMP.

All of his were 211g-213g, my A01 was 211 and the HAMP was 214

I cut one open and believe it is genuine.

The diamond with the dots is a visual indicator of which stamping line the cap was stamped on. Different number of dots represent a specific stamping machine.

This is done in case of quality issues, they can track which filters are affected (if assembled) and which cap it is (prior to final assembly)

[Linked Image]

No metal end caps?
the end cap doesn't have complete coverage...

this means... by BITOG standards = garbage filter

My last two remaining genuine Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 shows four precise dots (spot welds?) around the round part of the spring pressure relief
at the inner bottom of the filter. I volume purchased 40 of these at about $3.50 each 14 years ago.

Some recent (FAKE?) 15400-PLM-A01's appearing on eBay and Amazon show four small screws instead. Now why would screws be
located inside an oil filter downstream (past) the filter medium? This is a recipe for disaster in case screws come loose and manage to
enter the engine.

Also, one may find yellow (plastic? filler to perhaps anchor fake spring pressure relief base and screws) material at the bottom of the oil filter. The protruding circular part
protruding up from inside the bottom of the FAKE? oil filter is also smaller to accommodate the four screws and may actually be off center when looking
down the filter opening.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kenk
My genuine Filtech 15400-PLM-A01 shows four precise dots (spot welds?) around the round part of the spring pressure relief
at the inner bottom of the filter.

Some recent (FAKE?) 15400-PLM-A01's appearing on eBay and Amazon show four small screws instead. Now why would screws be
located inside an oil filter downstream (past) the filter medium?

Do you have a link to those fakes?

Back