F-150 Ecoboost - Amsoil AZO or Mobil Delvac 222?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2011 Ford F150 with the 3.5 litre Ecoboost engine. I'm currently running Amsoil AZO 0W30, but used to use Esso XD3 0W30 in my previous vehicles. I read on here that Mobil Delvac 222 is very close to, if not the same as, the old Esso XD3. I'm thinking either would be great for my turbocharged engine in both winter and summer (winters get as cold as -40 celcius, while summers can be quite warm, up to 34 or so degrees celcius). The Delvac is a bit cheaper, and neither meets the exact requirements (energy conserving, etc.) as specified in the owners manual (which doesn't cause me to lose sleep). Any thoughts on which would be best in my truck?

Thanks

Neither.

You will need an API-certified 5W-30 oil in that engine. AZO isn't actually API-certified;, and Elite 222 is a dual rated-deisel oil that is API SM certified, but it isn't a GF-rated (fuel conserving) oil.

Both oils, if it comes to it, may cause you warranty problems if they start asking questions.

Not sure what Ford specs, but while you're under warranty it's best to stick with their requirements.

You're running one of the best oils available..if you don't mind the price I don't think you can do better. Mobil 1 5W-30 or Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 would be good choice as well since they have the Honda HT-06 turbo certification.

I'd used an approved oil for the application. If you want to use something other than Motorcraft, check your manual for the spec Ford requires, and find an oil that meets that spec. Go from there.

Originally Posted By: buster
M1 0w30

Unfortunately not available in Canada.

The Mobil Delvac 0W-30 is hard to beat if you are indeed starting your new truck unaided at temp's as low as -40 degrees, with it's MRV of 14,000cP.
Having said that I'd look into Petro-Canada Supreme 0W-30 which may meet the Ford spec's and while it's MRV is not as good as the PAO based Mobil Delvac oil it's still a 0W oil and will be actually lighter at non extremely cold temp's

Actually, even though M1 0W-30 isn't available in Canada we can make our own Mobil 0W-30 version that's even better (lower MRV of around 12,000cP) with a 50/50 blend of M1 0W-20 (now available in Canada) and the heavy Mobil Delvac Elite 222 0W-30.
And if you're concerned about mixing oils, Mobil is already on record stating all their oils are mixable and I'm sure this blend would be no exception. You could always contact Mobil to get their blessing.
Of course this oil is another non Ford spec' option.

Another oil is Irving 0W-30 which is very light, HTHSV 2.97cP and 172 VI but I don't know the MRV. This oil may be sourced through Carquest.

Another option is a 50/50 blend of PC Supreme 0W-20 and 0W-30. This will still net a 0W-30 oil, just lighter than the original 0W-30. MRV should be around 20,000cP.

0W-30 (AZO): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395N; Suitable as a replacement for GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)
ACEA A1/B1
Ford WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A
Chrysler MS-6395N
GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)
Fortified with detergents that exceed dexos1™ sulfated ash specifications.

Originally Posted By: PHANI1
0W-30 (AZO): API SN (Resource Conserving), SM…; ILSAC GF-5, GF-4…; ACEA A5/B5, A1/B1; Ford WSS-M2C946-A, WSS-M2C929-A; Chrysler MS-6395N; Suitable as a replacement for GM dexos1™ (supersedes LL-A-025, 6094M and 4718M)
ACEA A1/B1
Chrysler MS-6395N

And how many of those specs is it actually certified for? ZERO.

Doesn't mean it doesn't meet them if tested. But it means it hasn't been tested (and subsequently certified).

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
ACEA A1/B1
Chrysler MS-6395N

Doesn't mean it doesn't meet them if tested. But it means it hasn't been tested (and subsequently certified).

[censored] Meter Pegged. Newsflash: Overkill in usual mode is incorrect on several accounts.

We await his correction and his apology.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
ACEA A1/B1
Chrysler MS-6395N

[censored] Meter Pegged. Newsflash: Overkill in usual mode is incorrect on several accounts.

We await his correction and his apology.

You condescending [censored]. You are seriously willing to drop a deuce like that on me because I'm not "peddling" your product here?

In "usual mode"? You mean not "sales mode" like you? Thanks for the pot-shot Pablo. CLASSY! I assume you are showing your kids how daddy talks down to people on the Internet when he doesn't agree with them instead of posting factual information to counter their point, right?

I miss Gary Allan. You don't have an ounce of class that man had and if I was wrong on something, Gary was always willing to point it out in a manner that didn't make him look like.... well look like you are looking like right now. {removed personal insult}

AMSOIL's own literature states:

Quote:
AMSOIL Signature Series Synthetic Motor Oil is excellent for use in all types of gasoline-fueled vehicles. It is recommended for all domestic and foreign vehicles requiring any of the listed performance specifications:

Now, last time I checked, Recommended For does NOT MEAN MEETS.

Amazing how you can take a dig at me for just stating what the site says. Its not like AMSOIL doesn't make a line of API certified oils..... they DO! As we ALL know, their top tier oils are NOT API approved.

So, if it doesn't "meet" the specs listed in the "recommended for" section (otherwise, they would be listed under a section reading "meets approvals yadda yadda and dah dah), then what about my assertation, which was based on the above, is WRONG?

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all, you get it wrong and you call me names? Odd that. I wasn't being condescending at all. I do get a bit irritated by ignorance. Please correct your mistake, apologize for not slowing down to read and move on. Wow.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
First of all, you get it wrong and you call me names? Odd that. I wasn't being condescending at all. I do get a bit irritated by ignorance. Please correct your mistake, apologize for not slowing down to read and move on. Wow.

What part of what I stated was wrong? You didn't even point it out! Instead you get all "as usual", so I'm "usually" wrong eh? And that's not a personal dig? Really? In what universe? Obviously not this one!

You WERE being condescending! Are you that naive that you think that making a statement like the one you made, that anybody reading is going to infer that my posts are garbage because you've said so, is not to be viewed in such a manner? REALLY?

Last time I checked, basing your information on what is printed on AMSOIL's website isn't being ignorant! We were talking about AZO, so I looked on their site and quoted what I saw. If part of that is incorrect, please point it out..... I'll gladly stand corrected. But you could have just done that instead of making personal remarks about me........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back