QSUD 5w30 or M1 0w40 In Ecoboost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My vehicle is an '18 F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost, max tow package. I've been using QSUD 5w30 (on sale at Menards for $3 a quart) changed whenever the oil life monitor gets to about 25% which is usually around 3500-4k in winter and about 5k in summer . It gets short trips as I only live about 5 miles from work, so fuel dilution becomes a concern in the winter. I also tow a 26' travel trailer about 800 miles and an 18' fiberglass fishing boat around 1500 miles in summer. Would I be better off for the extra money to switch to a 0w40 like Mobil1 compared to the 5w30 Quaker State given the short change intervals?

The QSUD 5W30 is a good choice. If you can get Havoline Pro DS 5W30, that's another good reasonably priced oil. Walmart carries it in the 6Qt box. You can go with the Mobil 1, if you like. I don't see a need for it. With the towing that you do, make sure the transmission is serviced pretty regularly.

Don't know the current calcium on these … but generally a Dexos oil will be moderated for LSPI that would matter in the TDI Ford. The 0w40 is likely high. When I had that motor I just ran M1 or PP 5w30 5k OCI knowing they diluted fuel.

Last edited:
I'd stick with the QSUD 5W30 since it has been tested for LSPI resistance (dexos1 Gen 2).
I don't see that it claims a Ford -B1 oil spec that reflects LSPI testing, but the product sheet I found online is from May of 2018 and that is probably before those specs were released.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
I'd stick with the QSUD 5W30 since it has been tested for LSPI resistance (dexos1 Gen 2).
I don't see that it claims a Ford -B1 oil spec that reflects LSPI testing, but the product sheet I found online is from May of 2018 and that is probably before those specs were released.

The Dexos1 gen 2 or the Dexos 2 oils are good to go.

Originally Posted by CT8
Changing the oil often is the best idea .239,000 mile ecoboost High octane gas then pedal to the metal.

Use the recommended octane for the Ecoboost and your good to go. Heck the fleet where I worked at the Ecoboost only get 87 octane and if the truck was retired early it was due to a accident not engine problems.

ive been using M1 FS 0w40 for the past 30000kms ever since i tuned my 2018 F150 (5 star 91 performance tune).... UOAs were good. 36000kms on the truck now and im going to switch over to QSUD 5w30 because its SN+

i change my oil when the OLM reaches 40%.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back