F-150 Ecoboost - Amsoil AZO or Mobil Delvac 222?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Next we'll start the Amway comparisons!

As someone who bought Amsoil for over a decade and used it in every car, truck, boat, RV, ATV, Jet Ski, etc., I feel confident telling anyone that it is a GREAT product.

We still use it in our 'money' motors and for track days in my car.

I agree with this post!

I have a $25,000 engine under the hood of my Shelby, and I trust the "non-certified" Amsoil ATM 10W-30 to protect it. Just because it doesn't have "API SN" on the back of the bottle doesn't mean squat!

Both are great oils. Amsoil wouldn't be around if they produced a lousy product. End of discussion.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Your opinion..which to us...means NOTHING !

Not my opinion sir, the opinion of a tribologist who has contributed extensively to this site. I simply regurgitate the facts he posted in the article featured on the main page of this site because nobody appears to bother to read it. People like yourself want UOA's to tell them what the best oil is, and to be able to compare oils to each other using them. That is not their purpose.

But please, continue using the hammer as a screwdriver.

OVERK1LL, I did not know about the articles on the Main Page, I learned some new things about UOA's.

Guess I will not be comparing oils by checking out the UOA Section.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Your opinion..which to us...means NOTHING !

Not my opinion sir, the opinion of a tribologist who has contributed extensively to this site. I simply regurgitate the facts he posted in the article featured on the main page of this site because nobody appears to bother to read it. People like yourself want UOA's to tell them what the best oil is, and to be able to compare oils to each other using them. That is not their purpose.

That's it! He's Jeremy Clarkson!!

Anyway, look. I'd use an oil that meets API SN, and Ford's specifications for warranty. Again, the manufacturers know what they are doing when they specify oil for their engines. Which is why I trust GMs OLM. And also why I believe in running the weight or oil that the manufacturer specifies. Lots of people think they know better than the engineers. That's why I will only run a 0W-30 or 5W-30 in our vehicles, because that's what GM says.

Ford says 5W-20, so that or 0W-20, or 5W-30 in the case of the ecoboost.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R

Anyway, look. I'd use an oil that meets API SN, and Ford's specifications for warranty. Again, the manufacturers know what they are doing when they specify oil for their engines.

Are you so sure about that? Ford spec's Motorcraft 5W-50 for use in the Ford GT, GT500, and new Boss 302. This lubricant made the very expensive digital oil pressure sensor setup in my car read crazy high, even at full temperature. Amsoil 10W-40 was a major improvement in efficiency (mpg), oil pressure, and power delivery. Now that I'm using Amsoil 10W-30, oil pressures are where they need to be and wear numbers are lower than every Motorcraft 5W-50 UOA sample you can find on the internet.

Motorcrap 5W-50 = FAIL!

And also why I believe in running the weight or oil that the manufacturer specifies. Lots of people think they know better than the engineers.

Ford says 5W-20

Oh trust me, I do.

cough *CAFE LAWS* cough

The same ford Modular engines sold in other countries are still spec'd for 5W-30. My previous 2008 Mustang GT GAINED efficiency, power, and showed lower wear numbers by using Amsoil SSO compared to Mobil 1 5W-20 (non-extended performance).

Argue all you want about "wear rates", "UOA results" and so on. Real world results are what matter to me.

I would never say Amzoil (spelling now Amsoil?) is a bad product, or Redline, or Royal Purple etc. My point is simply that I can go to WalMart, purchase a big jug of Mobil 1, do 5000 mile oil changes and rely on stellar, proven, problem solving "real world" results.

My engines outlast my cars/trucks. What more could I ask for?

I've been doing this a very long time. I've been involved with Ford in the production development of an engine in the late 70's and early 80's. (the turbo 2.3L) And I've done more teardown, measurements and inspections than most.

I'm here to tell you that Mobil 1 works. Period, end of story.

Originally Posted By: Unleashedbeast

Anyway, look. I'd use an oil that meets API SN, and Ford's specifications for warranty. Again, the manufacturers know what they are doing when they specify oil for their engines.

Are you so sure about that? Ford spec's Motorcraft 5W-50 for use in the Ford GT, GT500, and new Boss 302. This lubricant made the very expensive digital oil pressure sensor setup in my car read crazy high, even at full temperature. Amsoil 10W-40 was a major improvement in efficiency (mpg), oil pressure, and power delivery. Now that I'm using Amsoil 10W-30, oil pressures are where they need to be and wear numbers are lower than every Motorcraft 5W-50 UOA sample you can find on the internet.

Motorcrap 5W-50 = FAIL!

And also why I believe in running the weight or oil that the manufacturer specifies. Lots of people think they know better than the engineers.

Ford says 5W-20

Oh trust me, I do.

cough *CAFE LAWS* cough

The same ford Modular engines sold in other countries are still spec'd for 5W-30. My previous 2008 Mustang GT GAINED efficiency, power, and showed lower wear numbers by using Amsoil SSO compared to Mobil 1 5W-20 (non-extended performance).

Prove it. Your claims mean nothing. I've heard these bogus stories so many times it's ridiculous. Amsoil has never made any of my cars perform better than any other oil. I think you're convincing yourself that to justify spending the $ on Amsoil.

Motorcrap 5W-50 = FAIL!

Ford says 5W-20

Oh trust me, I do.

cough *CAFE LAWS* cough

As I said:

Quote:
People like yourself want UOA's to tell them what the best oil is, and to be able to compare oils to each other using them. That is not their purpose.

Point proven.

Motorcrap 5W-50 = FAIL!

Ford says 5W-20

Oh trust me, I do.

cough *CAFE LAWS* cough

You know, strangely there are tens of thousands of Ford modular engines out there. Ones in Crown Vics. Police Cars, then taxis, then resold to consumers. And guess what? 95% of them saw Bulk 5W-20 conventional for their entire life. Seriously 5W-20 is not the devil. It's not "too thin" for engines it's spec'ced for.

Notice Toyota and Honda spec it for a lot of their cars too. I personally think the only reason that 5W-30 is recommended in the ecoboost is because 5W-20 might not be thick enough for the ball bearings used in the turbos. That makes sense.

Whatever you do, use an oil that meets the specified requirements and safely keep the reciepts. Some of these engines are already starting to fail and you will need the oil change documentation.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
That's right but what's your point?

Point is, it's not required.

No offence, but saying that the MRV spec' is not required is a rather silly remark to make. It's a poor justification for the fact that Amsoil chooses not to provide that viscosity info'.
AZO does not have extreme cold temp' spec's that most other 0W-30 oils have, consiquently it wouldn't be my choice for starting a vehicle at -40 degrees.

The EcoBoost engine uses passive thermal siphoning for water cooling.During normal engine operation, the engine's water pump cycles coolant through the center bearing. After engine shutdown renders the water pump inactive, the coolant flow reverses. Coolant heats up and flows away from the turbocharger water jacket, pulling fresh, cool coolant in behind. This highly effective coolant process is completely silent to the driver, continuing to protect the turbocharger

The Turbos are still fed a little oil, but they don't require near as much as previous Turbo setups. This also allows the normal consumer to not worry about oil coking after shutdown.

Now with older style Journal bearing turbos lots of oil is required, but a true ball bearing turbo actually requires less oil the a Journal bearing unit. Originally Ford was to spec this engine for 5-20 but actually changed it during testing to 5-30. My guess is the silent DI killer but I have not been able to confirm this.

Ford really did a nice job of engineering the ecoboost line. Strides like these are what american automaker need to make the normal practice to stay ontop of the foreign market. I just don't get why a Company like GM can't get onboard with changing their truck engines. Pushrods and more moving parts is so 1980. I don't get why anyone would purchase this old technology. Keep building them and ill keep making money on failed valvetrain parts

Knock pushrods all you want, then read up on the dry sump ZO6 engine.

An amazingly small and lightweight package. With PUSHRODS!

I believe if you count pieces you'll be very disappointed there, too. Take any DOHC or even many SOHC V-8's and there's liable to be a lot MORE parts than a simple pushrod design.

Originally Posted By: buster
Prove it. Your claims mean nothing. I've heard these bogus stories so many times it's ridiculous. Amsoil has never made any of my cars perform better than any other oil. I think you're convincing yourself that to justify spending the $ on Amsoil.

Yawn!!!!

It's all accounted for on fuelly.com

I track every fill up, and mpg increased after using a true synthetic in both the GT and GT500.

It's not a miracle...it's the ability of a true synthetic base stock. You guys are so hung up on group III and III+. Even Conoco Phillips recognize group IV has a lower friction coefficient. 1-2% efficiency/power gains are common.

3b78fb61.jpg

No one is hung up on Group III base oils. Fuel economy is affected by several things. Base oil, additives, friction modifiers, viscosity/HT/HS and viscosity modifiers. So you are the one hung up on just one part of the whole.

Amsoil does use high quality PAO base oils, but so do other synthetics.

Exactly.

What oil is this:

ALUMINUM: 0
CHROMIUM: 0
IRON: 0
COPPER: 0
LEAD: 0
TIN: 0
MOLY: 93
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0