Extreme short trip/stop-go

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive in 100% stop and go traffic daily, with a total of 5 km at 8 am, then 5km at 4pm.

10km a day, 8 hours between runs.. and 100% stop and go trafic.
Stop light after stop light until I get to destination.

What oil/oci would you recommend for my situation?

Car is 1991 Pontiac Grand Prix 3.1 V6

Edit: Forgot to add, going to post the latest oil sample to a lab soon.

Last edited:
I would buy the cheapest oil you're comfortable with and just change it more frequently.

How many minutes does it take you to drive those 5km? I'm just trying to gauge if your oil actually has a chance to get up to temp and burn off water vapor and fuel.

Last edited:
5km in 6 minutes? That gives you an average speed of 50km/h. That's hardly what I'd call 'traffic', but anyway... either take the car for a longer run once or twice per week so that the oil gets nice and warm for half an hour or just do more frequent oil changes. How often do you currently change oil?

I never timed it, so i'll time the commute tomorrow.

This is similar to my commute:
-leave driveway
-take down street 40-50k
-stop at light
-stuck behind 5 cars, 20-30k
-light
-stuck behind cars 20-30k
-I turn, pick up 50k
-stop at light
-turn
... you get the point

I thought synthetic would be better for an engine running in extreme conditions like this..??? I still wonder why so many people want to prescribe cheap arse dino for an engine that is being driving under severe conditions. ???

hey Dr_No, where in Canada are you from?

it's funny... my driving conditions are the same, lol... but i never thought of it as severe service. although it probably really is!

I have a short 6 mile commute and run PP. FWIW, my GM OLM hits 10-15% at 5000 miles so that is my OCI. I would use one of the lesser synthetics or syn blends and change at 5000.

Originally Posted By: BennyL

it's funny... my driving conditions are the same, lol... but i never thought of it as severe service. although it probably really is!

Short trip stop and go is probably the most severe service outside of heavy towing.IMO

Dr. No,

I'a a city driver too and usually use my brand of Mobil 1 synthetic 5W-30 weight and like the protective qualities. In fact I'd choose any type of synthetic oil of you choice should suffice. On the weekends perhaps Sundays I take my car for a spin on the highway just to break-up all that stop n' go driving that I do.

Durango

Originally Posted By: SAM1
I thought synthetic would be better for an engine running in extreme conditions like this..??? I still wonder why so many people want to prescribe cheap arse dino for an engine that is being driving under severe conditions. ???

I'd only term it "synthetic favorable" severe due to his climate (which may be not all that severe depending on where in Canada he is). Otherwise, he's just wasting money. He needs to change it often and if he's not pressed with -30 weather ..then what's the point. He would be wise to use a block warmer if able to plug it in on either end of his commute.

If this was the only driving he did with this car, he could use the thinnest oil he could find (some 0w-0 probably). Unfortunately that brings him to a synthetic which is going to be more expensive. He'll never recoup the added costs in lack of parasitic loses due the required frequency of change due to combustion byproducts and moisture. He should be in some fuel enrichment status for the majority of his drive.

On another note, could you get her on the highway every couple of weeks and let her get good and hot? This would help with any/whatever oil you choose.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

I'd only term it "synthetic favorable" severe due to his climate (which may be not all that severe depending on where in Canada he is). Otherwise, he's just wasting money. He needs to change it often and if he's not pressed with -30 weather ..then what's the point. He would be wise to use a block warmer if able to plug it in on either end of his commute.

If this was the only driving he did with this car, he could use the thinnest oil he could find (some 0w-0 probably). Unfortunately that brings him to a synthetic which is going to be more expensive. He'll never recoup the added costs in lack of parasitic loses due the required frequency of change due to combustion byproducts and moisture. He should be in some fuel enrichment status for the majority of his drive.

Okayyyyyyyyyyy.....but I just do not understand how or why a synthetic would not be better for an engine running under severe service/short trips. I thought the entire notion of producing a synthetic oil was to provide more and better protection. Now it sounds as if I'm hearing that synthetic provides no additional protectin whatsoever compared to a conventional oil. (???)

10W-30 every 5000km

this engine burns a little bit of oil and the head gasket is a common problem

use regular cheap oil and monitor the oil level often, if doesn't burn much oil then should be worry free

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Okayyyyyyyyyyy.....but I just do not understand how or why a synthetic would not be better for an engine running under severe service/short trips. I thought the entire notion of producing a synthetic oil was to provide more and better protection. Now it sounds as if I'm hearing that synthetic provides no additional protectin whatsoever compared to a conventional oil. (???)

Generally speaking, there is no magic oil. There are oils that flow better when cold (read that as "flow easier"), that handle heat better, and can remain in service longer.

So, if you see -25 starting temps in the winter, although it's not absolutely required, a synth can provide utility for its added cost. I doubt that you'll save enough in parasitic loses to offset the added cost of the oil ..and given the short trip nature, may very well have to dump it due to fuel dilution or moisture content. That is, you're depending on the cold flow performance of the oil to carry it in value since you may not be able to get any sensible length of service out of it.

This is why I strongly recommend everyone to get just one UOA. A cheap one. You can then, if nothing else, get a view on some sensible economies with what you're currently working with ..at least from the oil's perspective.

1.B.C Canada, lower mainland

2.No oil burning, no oil leaking ( at all )

3.Will show results of analysis for headgasket

4.Thinking will use synthetic 5w30, whatever is cheapest changed every 4 months? does that sound good?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Dr_No
1.B.C Canada, lower mainland

2.No oil burning, no oil leaking ( at all )

3.Will show results of analysis for headgasket

4.Thinking will use synthetic 5w30, whatever is cheapest changed every 4 months? does that sound good?

Dr. No,

Your choice of oil/weight should be fine. As far as the head gasket is concern it sounds like you have a Toyota. Their known for the weak head gaskets.

Durango

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back