Extended Drain Interval with M1 AFE 0W-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Ford 4.6 modular v8 is relatively easy on oil, especially if it had an oil cooler. The Lexus GS and IS 350 prior to 2018 use the 2GR-FSE with the Yamaha designed heads with twin variable valve timing. That NA v6 like the Nissan VQ37VHR is notoriously hard on oil when driven aggressively on the street much less tracked. 3k on conventional and 7-8k Max OCI with a quality synthetic is a good practice for these engines, especially if you rely on them in a daily and are seeking to keep them to 200k+ miles.

Originally Posted by GZRider
The Ford 4.6 modular v8 is relatively easy on oil, especially if it had an oil cooler. The Lexus GS and IS 350 prior to 2018 use the 2GR-FSE with the Yamaha designed heads with twin variable valve timing. That NA v6 like the Nissan VQ37VHR is notoriously hard on oil when driven aggressively on the street much less tracked. 3k on conventional and 7-8k Max OCI with a quality synthetic is a good practice for these engines, especially if you rely on them in a daily and are seeking to keep them to 200k+ miles.

What does the 2GR FSE do to the oil? Shear it?

Primarily yes, and don't get me wrong the 2GR-FSE is a very good engine, there is just lots of timing chain and a fair amount of power packed into a small package that makes a good amount of heat . There is also some minor fuel dilution when running at sustained high RPM's or doing a lot of low temp cold starts with lots of short tripping, pretty typical stuff. In the right conditions I'm sure you can do a 10k+ OCI but I'd hesitate to try it on ANY engine that makes 300+hp and is driven aggressively (especially one with oil pressure actuated variable valve timing and a long timing chain).

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by ad244
I kinda think the Castrol Extended is a better oil https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=2eca1885f59ee0c40062073ffdb2a928 Maybe im wrong
And why would you think a majority Group III oil, and considers Group II+ to be "synthetic", with a thoroughly unimpressive pour point by a cheap company that doesn't offer rebates is "better". Mobil AP is also "better" but we're not talking extended drains here...
Why do you think it is worse?

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5W-30 Pour Point = -40° C

Castrol EDGE Extended Performance 5W-30 Pour Point = -39° C

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

I do have a question for you about DI engines...I noticed when I started changing the oil in my present car that fresh oil darkened very quickly and learned later that DI engines tend to produce soot.
There is some worry that soot-laden oil may tend to lead to more engine wear, but I don't know if there is any real evidence for or against this supposition.
Is there any evidence in your data that suggests that DI engines have higher wear rates than port injected or carbureted vehicles?

Well, I'm going to change out my 1.5l Ecoboost oil fill this weekend. It has a touch over 10,000 miles on it. M1 0w-20 EP. It's been in there since October and saw multiple below zero temps, as well as 10-20 minute warmups every morning it was under 32 degrees.

I'll do a UOA. All I have laying around is a Blackstone kit, so that is what it's gonna have to be. Stay tuned.

Don't change it now.

Listen to DNewton...even if you only go to 10k miles.

Mobil 1, back in the day offered 40,000km "protection", and in the early part of this century, if you spoke to the techs, and they finally got across the line that you were out of warranty, and therefore liability of zero, would offer 12 months or 40,000km as acceptable. They stood on the 12 months, however, as that indicated (generically) the use...25,000 niles in 12 months was clearly decent tripping...3,000 was most likely short tripping. and possible dilution.

My Colorado (diesel direct injection) has a recommneded service interval of 15,000km (9,500 miles roughly) and an OLM...GM say to run the OLM down to zero, get the service done at 15,000km, or earlier depending on OLM.

The OLM will run to 16,000km (10k miles) the way that I run it, or 7,000km the way the previous owner WAS using it around town (65% consumed in 4,500km).

So...just run it a year...or 10,000 miles...and nothing bad will ever happen.

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I kinda think the Castrol Extended is a better oil https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...;linkId=2eca1885f59ee0c40062073ffdb2a928 Maybe im wrong
And why would you think a majority Group III oil, and considers Group II+ to be "synthetic", with a thoroughly unimpressive pour point by a cheap company that doesn't offer rebates is "better". Mobil AP is also "better" but we're not talking extended drains here...

The Edge is worse, because I can buy Mobil 1 EP at Walmart and get a $12 rebate making it around $14...

The last Castrol rebate was the "Sorry We [censored] Up the Gulf Rebate"...

Secondly, I didn't mention EP, I mentioned AP. And 0W-30 AFE has a -60F pour point anyways...

Thirdly, I find it both amazing and odd that all Castrol EP has the same pour point whether it's 0W-20 or 10W-30...

Last edited:

The Edge is worse, because I can buy Mobil 1 EP at Walmart and get a $12 rebate making it around $14...

The last Castrol rebate was the "Sorry We [censored] Up the Gulf Rebate"...

Secondly, I didn't mention EP, I mentioned AP. And 0W-30 AFE has a -60F pour point anyways...

Thirdly, I find it both amazing and odd that all Castrol EP has the same pour point whether it's 0W-20 or 10W-30...
For clarity, Castrol's price point is higher than Mobil's (perhaps at the moment)--but that does not equate to Castrol being "worse" than Mobil from a quality perspective. Comparing AP to Edge Extended is not apples to apples--Mobil EP would be the appropriate oil to compare. Other than price delta (which is fully dependent on a rebate because at normal prices, both Castrol and Mobil flip-flop on who is higher), they are very similar in quality and performance. In the end, you come across as sounding bitter over a failed rebate versus objectively comparing the quality of the two oils.

Don't worry about it, an extra 400 miles isn't gonna hurt anything! That oil can easily go longer. AFE is pretty close to EP as I understand it, and I just sent a 10k sample from my Tacoma to be analyzed and expect great results!

For clarity, Castrol's price point is higher than Mobil's (perhaps at the moment)--but that does not equate to Castrol being "worse" than Mobil from a quality perspective.

\Well, I didn't say Castrol was "worse". I questioned their lineup as a whole and their dodgy marketing, product cheapening and "pour points" that seem to either be preposterously bad for synthetic oils in their regular SYNTEC lineup or ones that are all the same regardless of weight in their Edge one. So, really? Their Edge 0W-20 pours at the same temp as their 5W-30? That doesn't reek of quality or consistency. The price has a lot to do with choice. I doubt anyone would notice much difference in the application of either oil, but then why spend more? Why advocate for its use in place of something else as in the post I responded too?

Comparing AP to Edge Extended is not apples to apples--Mobil EP would be the appropriate oil to compare.

Sure, and EP still has a lower pour point and strangely Mobil 1 EP seems to have pour points corresponding with weights with their 0W-20 around -65F, and yes, the -40C 5W-30 weight. So perhaps Mobil is more honest or upfront and Castrol seems to be CYA'ing?

Other than price delta (which is fully dependent on a rebate because at normal prices, both Castrol and Mobil flip-flop on who is higher),

I would confidently say that Castrol almost always higher, even before rebates. But that's not really much of a defense of Castrol since again, they don't do rebates and have even taken the Promotions tab off their website...

they are very similar in quality and performance.

Depending on which lineup, Castrol is using Group II+ marketed as full synthetic, albeit certainly blended with III and probably some V. It seems they have very unbalanced lines at premium price points with some oils such as nearly all of the 0W-XX having significant POE/PAO and then having some very bland offerings in the typical American weights that seem to offer little over say-Pennzoil conventional. That's a fair point of criticism, as Castrol's closest competitor to AP is their "Professional" line in the US, which is very difficult to buy at at reasonable price point for an average consumer.

In the end, you come across as sounding bitter over a failed rebate versus objectively comparing the quality of the two oils.

And you sound like a bit of a hypo'wit fanboi for taking things out of context and ignoring the actual post I responded to, with some dolt interjecting a non-sequitur that had nothing to do with the thread topic. And no, no "failed rebate". I mean, read the thread topic?

I mean who could be bitter about a company that had by far one of the worst safety records on any corporation in any sector for decades, then killed their own people and destroyed the economy of the Gulf states for years costing taxpayers billion$?

\Well, I didn't say Castrol was "worse".

You didn't?

Comparing AP to Edge Extended is not apples to apples--Mobil EP would be the appropriate oil to compare.

Sure, and EP still has a lower pour point and strangely Mobil 1 EP seems to have pour points corresponding with weights with their 0W-20 around -65F, and yes, the -40C 5W-30 weight. So perhaps Mobil is more honest or upfront and Castrol seems to be CYA'ing?
M1 EP 5W-30 has a 1° C difference in pour point versus Castrol 5W-30--hardly a vast difference, but factually yes, a 1° C difference is less.

Other than price delta (which is fully dependent on a rebate because at normal prices, both Castrol and Mobil flip-flop on who is higher),

I would confidently say that Castrol almost always higher, even before rebates. But that's not really much of a defense of Castrol since again, they don't do rebates and have even taken the Promotions tab off their website...
Perhaps in your locale, I have seen the switch up regularly, in fact on Amazon right now, it would take a Mobil rebate to come close to the price of Castrol.

they are very similar in quality and performance.

Depending on which lineup, Castrol is using Group II+ marketed as full synthetic, albeit certainly blended with III and probably some V. It seems they have very unbalanced lines at premium price points with some oils such as nearly all of the 0W-XX having significant POE/PAO and then having some very bland offerings in the typical American weights that seem to offer little over say-Pennzoil conventional. That's a fair point of criticism, as Castrol's closest competitor to AP is their "Professional" line in the US, which is very difficult to buy at at reasonable price point for an average consumer.
What are the differences in real world results? I have not seen any UOA here that shows any major synthetic out perform another to any large degree.

In the end, you come across as sounding bitter over a failed rebate versus objectively comparing the quality of the two oils.

And you sound like a bit of a hypo'wit fanboi for taking things out of context and ignoring the actual post I responded to, with some dolt interjecting a non-sequitur that had nothing to do with the thread topic. And no, no "failed rebate". I mean, read the thread topic?
Laughable since I use Castrol, Mobil, and Pennzoil. I took nothing out of context--I quoted you exactly and there was nothing non-sequitur about about my response to your post. Last, but not least, I am fairly that your expletive laced comment about a rebate was in your OP; perhaps I misunderstood your intent, but then again, I tend to ignore sarcasm from those who need to use those types of words to make a point.

I think I like Mobil 1 0W-30. The previous owner went 6k on oil changes and used lube shops. At 6k with the lube shop oil, the car had an entire quart of oil. After I did a few oil changes myself and started keeping track of oil consumption, I noticed that with 6500+ miles on the M1 AFE 0W-30, the car only lost like 1/3-1/2 of a quart of oil. Perhaps the lube shop was using the cheapest 5W-30 they could find.

But yeah, I went way longer than 400 miles on this trip. I went like 1000 miles. And I slept in the car, so I probably had like 16 combined hours of idling with the AC on in the 100+ degree summer heat. Will be interesting to see the results. 6500 miles on the 0W-30, but I think it should be fine. I know the Mobil 1 Annual Protection oil was run for 20,000 miles in a Lexus 4-cyl turbo, and I doubt that a Lexus 6 cyl NA engine will be harder on oil than a 4-cyl turbo.

Last edited:
I was looking for an updated MSDS for the 0w30 but the last one is from 2017.

AFE 0w20 has a May 2019 MSDS that shows it's 60-70% GTL.

I must be the odd man out. My 2016 Jeep is currently running PU 5w30. I have a couple of UOAs with the same oil. Last time I checked my OLM was @ 53% with 4,411 miles since the last oil change. UOAs show a TBN of 2.9 after 5K miles. A 3,980 mile OCI had a TBN of 3.9. I can't see how the oil would last 10K miles, especially with a full point drop of TBN in ~ 1,000 miles. I'd say driving conditions are paramount in extending OCIs to 10K miles and beyond, even with a good synthetic oil. In my application dino oil would have zero chance of making it to 10K miles, if I had to guess 6K would be the limit.
27.gif

Is AFE rated A5? On the Mobil site it says A1, but they're often behind. I'll check my jug when I get there this weekend...

Incidentally, there is no ACEA rating on my jug of AFE 0W-30 I can find. They're real proud of the SN+/Dexos rating though...

Folks, it's simple, if you cannot address each other with respect then you won't be here.

If you cannot convey your thoughts without profanity, you won't be here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back