Extended drain for Winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am currently running Amsoil XL 5w30 in my 2002 Chevy Prizm...right now I have 3000 miles on this oil and I plan on running it for 2000 more...well maybe...I want to install an oil that will get me all the way through Winter...from November to April...What oils are capable of surviving sub-zero temps, lots of city driving, lots of idling, etc in a 1ZZ-FE chain driven dohc engine...Right now I am thinking Amsoil 0w30...What oil?
coffeetime.gif

that would be your best bet, I am putting Amsoil 0w30 in my 97 Altima and 0w20 in wify's 07 tC. Both will be paired with EaO filters.
If you could find an oversized EaO for your 1ZZ-FE that would help too

0W-30 will be fine or 5W-30 ASL will be (just as) fine. The XL 5W-30 has fairly decent numbers for a group III oil as well, but you may be push it in time/miles.

Amsoil ASL is a booster to your present XL.

It's easier to answer your question when you state beforehand how many miles your Amsoil compiles monthly. If you are 1K or less, then XL is fine for six months. I say that - only since I never exceed 6K on my synthetic oils.

Thanks Guys...good info...
Odessit-I agree about the oversize filter and will look into it...

Pablo-...The CCS Viscosiy of the XLF, ASL, and TSO have me stumped...I realize the TSO was tested at -35...And I will encounter temperatures this low in January and February for sure...Surprisingly the XLF has lowest CCS Viscosity of the three albeit 5 tested 5 degrees higher thatn TSO...

CCS VIS ASL...5332 at -30
TSO...5831 at -35
XLF...4341 at -30 ASTM D-5293

Simple Gifts- Thanks for the link...Good UOA for 11000 miles I must say!...I would never think of going as far as most because my car is mostly city driving...My last UOA with Valvoline conventional 5w30 yielded a tbn of 1.3 after only 3200 miles...Granted I still wonder if that was lab error or if previous owners did not change oil enough to keep up with acid formulation...I feel the latter...

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post942690

Triple Seven- My mileage averages 1000 miles per month...And I agree with 6000 being about the most one should go...well I do a lot of city driving and idiling...

Third Eye...Is the ASL in your Interga?

Amsoil all the way if u want a long lasting oil...but i wouldn't recommend XL for the whole winter

go with regular 5W-30 or 0W-30, but 0W-30 is pricy and you need to rev it up high rpm to feel the difference, so if u r just for regular driving, go with the 5W-30 will be good

i put 0W-30 in my Acura TL for teh winter and it was good, lasted for 5000miles with honda filter, but that's the max i would go for an oil change

winter time the cold temp will kill the oil life by half, so DO NOT FOLLOW THE 10000 mile internval, if u read carefully in the amsoil website, they will say do the regular OCI if u r driving under sereve conditions, and u r under the sereve conditions

even u r using TSO or ASL i would recommend no more than 6000 miles for your car...and also ur engine is known for burning oil, so check the fluid level often

Not knowing the engine and how it may beat up an oil, I see no reason that you can't just do two annual OCIs. Just shorten up the Winter OCI as needed. At 1000/month you should be able to take the Summer OCI to 7k ..or more.

Well it's obvious the Amsoil is in you Integra...are you the guy who said Amsoil and EAO filter make oil light stay on longer at startup...if so...how's that going?...The EAO made my car quieter...
cheers2.gif

Yes it's in my Integra, and as for the EaO, i've still noticed it staying on a bit longer than I remember, so I still might pull it off and try out another filter and experiment. I haven't been getting any crazy startup rattles or anything though, so it's not a top priority right now. It hasn't been on for more than 3 seconds, that's the longest I've seen the light stay on at startup. It usually shuts off right when the RPMs peak after starting (i.e. when I start the car cold, and the RPMs shoot up to 2k at cold idle, it'll shut off when it peaks at 2k)

I would either use 0w-30 or 5w-30. Change your oil first of november then in a year change it again.

Update...I found out there is an Amsoil dealer 8 miles outta town that will do my oilchange for 1o bucks...if I bring my oil and filter...When I called, of course they tried to sell me 35000 mile oil...I wish they wouldn't do that...this guy wanted $41 for a gallon of TSO 0w30...I told him to get bent...well I didn't actually say that as I didn't wanna ---- him off as he is offering to change my oil for ten bucks...I can get a gallon of TSO shipped to my door for $39 bucks so I guess his prices weren't bad but I would rather buy from my current dealer because I get dealer pricing as a preferred customer...Alas I still haven't made my mind up on which oil to run...with these prices the XLF is starting to look like the better deal everyday....

Series 3000 5W30 Amsoil will do it with out even blinking! I personely do not think Amsoil's Series 2000 0W30 would do anywhere near as good of a job as their S3K. M1 0W40 will also do it easily and you can get tht OTC at AutoZone or Advanced Auto Parts.

Can he fit a larger filter in the stock location? If if is anyhting like 2003 Camry they formed the oil pan around the filter. So if you go any bigger youplay heck trying to get it off. If you go a little longer you are ok but too long and the filter becomes the lowest point on the car. So I am not saying he can since I do not own a Carolla just saying he need to look at it closely.

As to oil filter choice's I use Walmart Brand filter's,Advanced AutoPart brand filters or AutoZone oil filter's and I ahve never had any problems at all. Always had good UOA and I do my OCI @ 6 months no matter if I have 10,000 miles on the oil or 1500 miles.

I also wanted to add that I have at least two winter UOA on this site. One is with M1R 0W30 and LC the other was M1 0W40 and I do not think I used any LC with it. I might have a few more winter one I just do not rember.

I think I can get away with the longer filter...but in the Winter I want the smaller filter...the larger filter having more surface area giving off more heat...You see I dunno if I mentioned this car is primarily driven short-trip city driving...

John Browning...why do you say Series 3000 is better than Series 2000?...Isn't the 3000 for diesels?...

Their is no such things as any oil being for gas or diesel etc.... Sure some are designed to handle some types of use better then other's but additives used in gasoline and diesel engine oils are primarly the same additives. You just normaly get more of them with an oil that is rated to handle diesel engines as well. If you look at all the S2K and S3K UOA you will see that almost universaly the S3K holds up better. It retain's it's TBN better it is generates better wear number's and is more shear resistant.

When was the last time you saw anyone putting 5W30 in a diesel. I have a comercial Class B driver's liscense and a Temp Class A permit and I am here to tell you no one that I am aware of in fleet use or private owner would but a 5W30 inhis diesel. I think even VW diesels wich are light duty diesel used in little car's often run 5W40 year round.

Personely the only way you could get me to run Amsoil S2K 0W30 in anything I own would be if it was given to me for free!So short of Pablo sending me 4 quart's to run in my 2003 Camry to prove me wrong it is not happening! I already run run 5W40,0W30 and 0W40 dureing Michigan winter's when the 5W40 was in it was -28°F tht night and something like -20°F when I started my car to go to church. the oil M1R 0W30 did worse then the 5W40 or 0W40 so what is the point. We already know that Amsoil's best product witht he best ingredient's and additive package is their S3K 5W30 so if a 5W30 is good enough for HTHS requirment's then why play around with any of their other products. We also know that it will do just fine in all but the worst artic temp.'s so their is really no benifit to S2K 0W30!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back