Extended drain for Winter...

Status
Not open for further replies.
If I lead any astray it will not be on purpose! If say something that is wrong itis becuase I learned it inccorectly or I was taught wrong. I do not sell oil and I do not do this for a liveing I am just an amature enthusist. I do pay a lot of attention though to Toyota and other import UOA.

Hit 5000 today...First time I have ever went this far on an OCI...Oil still looks good on the dipstick...I haven't made up my mind on what to use next...I am leaning towards another run of Amsoil XLF...Some of the PAO Amsoils have better cold temperature performance but the coldest I have ever seen it here in Nebraska was minus 33...Can Amsoil XLF handle temps this cold or do I really need the SSO?

I was considering the Series 3000 but I don't really know if I need an oil formulated for a diesel engine. Is there such a thing as too many additives?

Hit 5000 today...First time I have ever went this far on an OCI...

I've gone 5000 OCI on dino for many, many years - not one oil related problem. And I don't get rid of my vehicles quickly, either.

Presently:
92 Olds Silhouette, 244K
98 Mercury Sable, 170K

Quote:

Hit 5000 today...First time I have ever went this far on an OCI...Oil still looks good on the dipstick...I haven't made up my mind on what to use next...I am leaning towards another run of Amsoil XLF...Some of the PAO Amsoils have better cold temperature performance but the coldest I have ever seen it here in Nebraska was minus 33...Can Amsoil XLF handle temps this cold or do I really need the SSO?

I was considering the Series 3000 but I don't really know if I need an oil formulated for a diesel engine. Is there such a thing as too many additives?

Myself, I'll be draining out the RP5w30 in the Explorer this Sunday,and replacing it with the XL 5w30 that has a pour rating of -45 degrees. I'll run this oil to basically flush out the "remains" of RP. I'll then switch the XL5w30 out and use the ASL 5w30 which has a pour rating of -58 degrees.

I live in South Dakota,where February temps get down to around -20 to -30 degrees,so I'm thinking the ASL will be the best application in my opinion / situation.

Quote:

Since I have a Harley and they mention if you can't get Harley HD oil, to put in a diesel oil from a quick-serve auto part store until you can do an oil change. I personally would NEVER use a diesel oil in a gas engine, no matter what numbers may say. I consider that diesel oil is formulated for different operating loads than a gas engine.

Quote:

Quote:

Since I have a Harley and they mention if you can't get Harley HD oil, to put in a diesel oil from a quick-serve auto part store until you can do an oil change. I personally would NEVER use a diesel oil in a gas engine, no matter what numbers may say. I consider that diesel oil is formulated for different operating loads than a gas engine.

Many people, myself included, have run diesel oils in gas engines and have had no issues to report. I run rotella 5W/15W 40 in my ninja zx9r and have never had an oil related issue with the bike. Run the rotella 15W40 in my dirtbike, no issues either.

Quote:

I am currently running Amsoil XL 5w30 in my 2002 Chevy Prizm...right now I have 3000 miles on this oil and I plan on running it for 2000 more...well maybe...I want to install an oil that will get me all the way through Winter...from November to April...What oils are capable of surviving sub-zero temps, lots of city driving, lots of idling, etc in a 1ZZ-FE chain driven dohc engine...Right now I am thinking Amsoil 0w30...What oil?
coffeetime.gif

Absolutely any oil would be fine. Even cheapest ones out there. Before changing oil myself I used too get my oil chaned at those cheap oil change chains like "Midas" and indy shops. $14.99 per oil change, you can only imagine what kind of oil and filter they putting there. I made it thru all these years just fine! and so did millons of other people. Believe me I know cold temperature, I live in Wisconsin. There is absolutely no need for expensive oil to get you thru the harshest winter, virtually any API oil will be fine. You sweating it too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back