Excited About Wife's New 4Runner

We have the factory option done at the port.

This was my impression as well. Southeast Toyota (the regional importer) seems to do a number of add-ons like front window tint, paint film, special packages (TSS, etc).

This was my impression as well. Southeast Toyota (the regional importer) seems to do a number of add-ons like front window tint, paint film, special packages (TSS, etc).

Yep, both Distributors (SET) South East Toyota and (GST) Gulf States Toyota, tend to add high mark-up items to the vehicles they sell.

My wife had a 2012 a few years ago and my mother in law currently has a 2016. Great SUVs. They seem like they were built with the intention of lasting a lifetime. I do like the 4.0, though it is a noisy engine. I can always tell when my mother in law pulls into the driveway just from the sound of that sewing machine.

I personally hated changing the oil on the 2012 we had. It had a tiny cutout in the skid plate to access the filter housing. I always cut my forearm on that cutout, but maybe I just have big forearms.

Yep, both Distributors (SET) South East Toyota and (GST) Gulf States Toyota, tend to add high mark-up items to the vehicles they sell.
Tell me about it. Dealers that were part of those distribution networks were the only ones that had decent selections of 2WD T4Rs, since theyre in the South.

It was hard as heck finding trucks that didn’t have a lot of add-ons (we wanted a truck with only the 3rd Row Seat as the only option).

Still wound up with one that had “Zaktek Interior and Exterior Protection Package“ ($699 MSRP), Pinstripe and nitrogen in the tires ($299 MSRP) and step bars ($699 MSRP) added by the dealer.

The pinstripe is already coming off 🙄, they left one of the special nitrogen-badged valve stem caps off, and I’m convinced that Zaktek has about as much protection value as air. But, I got a very good deal on the truck, so, I’m not upset.

My wife had a 2012 a few years ago and my mother in law currently has a 2016. Great SUVs. They seem like they were built with the intention of lasting a lifetime. I do like the 4.0, though it is a noisy engine. I can always tell when my mother in law pulls into the driveway just from the sound of that sewing machine.

I personally hated changing the oil on the 2012 we had. It had a tiny cutout in the skid plate to access the filter housing. I always cut my forearm on that cutout, but maybe I just have big forearms.
That fan noise, LOL. No, they aren’t quiet, but they’re not incredibly noisy, either. But they do have a service life about equal to an anvil, so, I’ll take it!

Interestingly enough, the “Gen 2” 1GR-FE in this new T4R seems a bit noisier and has more vibration at certain parts of the RPM band than the 235,000-mile “Gen 1” 1GR-FE in my 2007 PreRunner.

I think it’s loosening up as it breaks in, though. Seems to have a little more pep now that it’s got >1500 miles. And I’m sure it’ll get better.

Tell me about it. Dealers that were part of those distribution networks were the only ones that had decent selections of 2WD T4Rs, since theyre in the South.

It was hard as heck finding trucks that didn’t have a lot of add-ons (we wanted a truck with only the 3rd Row Seat as the only option).

Still wound up with one that had “Zaktek Interior and Exterior Protection Package“ ($699 MSRP), Pinstripe and nitrogen in the tires ($299 MSRP) and step bars ($699 MSRP) added by the dealer.

The pinstripe is already coming off 🙄, they left one of the special nitrogen-badged valve stem caps off, and I’m convinced that Zaktek has about as much protection value as air. But, I got a very good deal on the truck, so, I’m not upset.

I figured you had bought through one of those distributors, that's why I was careful in my choice of words... :censored:

At least they didn't get you for undercoated floormats, and VIN-etched curb feelers... 😁

I have that MotivX tool.

I also replaced my original composite plastic oil filter housing with an aluminum one from a Highlander, or something. OEM Toyota part, made from aluminum.

Just felt better about the durability of aluminum after seeing how incredibly tight the dealer “technicians” installed the oil filter housing. Took a breaker bar, yes a breaker bar, to get my filter housing off after the dealer serviced the truck.

25 ft lbs was the spec. I reckon they were up around 100. Housing held up, but I felt better about a new housing. I had to swap over the center tube in the housing, as the Tundra has a longer filter, but it was an easy job.

i can’t recall how many of the plastic cartridge filter housings I got loose only to see cracks all around them. Folks at quick lives need to learn proper torqu values for those cartridges.

i can’t recall how many of the plastic cartridge filter housings I got loose only to see cracks all around them. Folks at quick lives need to learn proper torqu values for those cartridges.
I agree. Whatever the spec is, the dealer grossly over-tightened it. I replaced with aluminum just to avoid any potential cracks or failures from the abuse, and because aluminum was available for the Tundra engine.

Composite isn’t, in itself, a bad design choice. I put new composite housings on my both of my 2002 Volvos in 2007, when I bought them. Oil change goons had used pump pliers on them and gouged them up.

Those composite filter housings look great over 14 years, and roughly 25 oil changes, later. Torqued to spec with a proper tool, composite housings work great. But they can be damaged by goons with a wrench.

My film option was not a dealer (or distributor) add-on. It was listed on the Toyota window sticker and also the official Toyota website. It was installed at the port before the distribution networks gets their hands on it.

FYI : The Film install job was perfect. Not one wrinkle , front hood ,fenders, door cups and mirror backs. $395 MSRP on window sticker.

Last edited:
My film option was not a dealer (or distributor) add-on. It was listed on the Toyota window sticker and also the official Toyota website. It was installed at the port before the distribution networks gets their hands on it.

FYI : The Film install job was perfect. Not one wrinkle , front hood ,fenders, door cups and mirror backs. $395 MSRP on window sticker.
Yeah, a Few of the trucks I was considering had the option.

How long have you had your T4R?

How has the film held up?

You guys wanna see outrageous add-ons?
1C76179E-D7F1-41E3-8B03-ADFD2BD4E3D6.jpeg

I pulled them off the first week. The door edge guards were the clear film type installed incorrectly. I tried to save them but they were tossed within a month or so as well. No I didn’t pay the markup. At least it didn’t have a Karr alarm.

I am a fan of pin stripes. Some of our vehicles have them and I like them lol. But I also don’t like new designs or ideas so it’s no surprise I would want them lol 😂.

I am a fan of pin stripes. Some of our vehicles have them and I like them lol. But I also don’t like new designs or ideas so it’s no surprise I would want them lol 😂.
I don’t mind Them, but the problem is that I keep a vehicle forever and they eventually deteriorate like they have on my Tacoma. And then by the time they’ve deteriorated like that, and they’ve been on there for almost 14 years, it’s pretty hard to remove them without leaving marks on the finish.

I think I’m just going to cut my losses and remove them from the T4R.

That fan noise, LOL. No, they aren’t quiet, but they’re not incredibly noisy, either. But they do have a service life about equal to an anvil, so, I’ll take it!

Interestingly enough, the “Gen 2” 1GR-FE in this new T4R seems a bit noisier and has more vibration at certain parts of the RPM band than the 235,000-mile “Gen 1” 1GR-FE in my 2007 PreRunner.

I think it’s loosening up as it breaks in, though. Seems to have a little more pep now that it’s got >1500 miles. And I’m sure it’ll get better.
Hey, OHC chain slinger engines must be heard from !
My new Jeep V6 is way louder than our 5.3L pushrod V8 … and it’s got a high pressure GDI system …

I don’t mind Them, but the problem is that I keep a vehicle forever and they eventually deteriorate like they have on my Tacoma. And then by the time they’ve deteriorated like that, and they’ve been on there for almost 14 years, it’s pretty hard to remove them without leaving marks on the finish.

I think I’m just going to cut my losses and remove them from the T4R.
I agree on our 1994 Ford they have started to fade and peel off and that particular stripe package isn’t available anymore but you can buy the individual stripes which is probably what we are going to do eventually.

Back