Yakima CBX 18 Rooftop Cargo Carrier for the 4Runner

TL;DR

We decided to get a rooftop cargo carrier for the 4Runner, and, after doing a lot of research, ended up deciding on the Yakima CBX in the larger 18 cu. ft. size.

The CBX is one of their newer models, and has “ruggedized“ styling that goes well with the 4Runner. It opens from either side, and was designed with tailgate clearance in mind. We also prefer the non-gloss finish over something like the Thule Motion XT.

We’d originally considered Yakima’s Skybox model, but the design doesn’t allow the 18 cu ft and 21 cu ft models to be mounted as far forward as the CBX, which prevents full opening of the tailgate on the 5th Gen 4Runner.

Also, unlike some other boxes that have 4 knobs on the “floor” of the box, one to tighten each mounting clamp, which takes up some cargo space, this one has one knob with a square drive that fits into a socket in each clamp. You secure one clamp, then remove the knob and use to secure the next clamp, etc. Then, after all clamps are secure, the knob mounts into a socket on the “wall” of the box, where it’s mostly out of the way of the cargo, providing a nearly flat load floor.

These are in pretty high demand right now, so it took REI a while to get one in. We bought it from REI because they have a great return policy, and we wanted to be sure we could mount the carrier far enough forward that it wouldn’t interfere with opening of the rear hatch, and, wanting the largest box we could get to fit, there was some question in my mind as to whether it would work.

It does fit, thanks to the easily adjustable Yakima Timberline mount towers and JetStream crossbars, and the fact that the CBX’s mounting clamps themselves are adjustable fore & aft.

Proportionally, I think it looks good.

We‘re happy that this option exists to be able to expand the usefulness of the 4Runner, especially when (we hope) we have more children. We do have the 3rd row seat option in the 4Runner, but, of course, when the 3rd row is deployed, there’s not much room for cargo. So, this will solve that problem for road trips. And then there’s also the possibility of a hitch-mount carrier (we already have a Thule T2 Classic hitch-mount bike carrier).

Only problem is that, once i mounted it behind the Brentwood REI store, and was about to get into the truck and drive home, I looked up and noticed a large crack in the lid of the box!

Disappointing, but not a huge deal. Of course, REI was great, and arranged for a replacement, and I’ll go back and pick up the replacement in about a week. And, this time, I’ll have them open it up and inspect it before I drive the 25 miles to REI!

249A95B7-1582-45CC-A6F5-192C1B2E0D57.jpeg
A6C40D03-F133-4963-86E2-9B8BD8BDB5D4.jpeg
5AE8D6C4-7B5A-4358-85FF-525E00CA8A21.jpeg
1B6F062D-D5FE-4A62-A585-A233BE7396FA.jpeg
C5DF1A19-E16B-4941-99A3-46CAB1F03340.jpeg
289371C7-83CD-41B0-B342-D82739FBFCFF.jpeg

We‘re happy that this option exists to be able to expand the usefulness of the 4Runner, especially when (we hope) we have more children.

I wouldn't recommend it. While it will keep things quieter in the 4Runner, and keep the cookies, crackers, etc., mess down, Social Services frowns on putting the kids in the rooftop cargo carrier...

😁

I wouldn't recommend it. While it will keep things quieter in the 4Runner, and keep the cookies, crackers, etc., mess down, Social Services frowns on putting the kids in the rooftop cargo carrier...

😁
I hadn’t thought of that! It does have about a 160-lb capacity!

Just remember when you're in a national park and leave the campsite to head to the mountains, to actually CLOSE the lid and remove the keys from the lock, so that you don't get pulled over by a friendly park ranger..........

Yes, I've done this. Same car, same brand of carrier. Duh.

We tried out the Yakima CBX-18 on a road trip for the first time last week on our Gulf Shores trip (about 7 hrs, one-way).

Really enjoyed the box!

In the CBX, we carried a 60-lb, 10’x10’ pop-up canopy, 2 folding beach chairs, a stroller, a beach wagon, and a few other things. It was nice not having to put all that stuff into the 4Runner, which allowed us to keep things a lot better organized. Plus, all that stuff had sand all over it, as well as rust and rusty water, which is easy to clean out of the rooftop box.

The box was very quiet, even at higher speeds of >80 mph, and didn’t move around at all on the crossbars. Mounting was very secure, and the box is very easy to install on the crossbars, and remove. As mentioned in my first post, above, we bought the Yakima Jetstream aerodynamic crossbars and mount towers.

Fuel economy penalty was ~ 2 MPG. But I tend to drive fast (>80 mph most of the time). It could be that it would be less, at lower speeds. It’s very aerodynamic.

The latching/locking system is very secure and easy to use. The latch is positive, and, if, for whatever reason, it doesn’t latch, there is a red striped visual warning indicator. The box can be opened from either side.

I also bought a set of Yakima lock cylinders that I’ll install on both the box and the crossbar mount towers so that I’ll be able to unlock the box and the crossbar mounts with the same key.

At around $1500 total, for box and mount system (mount towers, crossbars, lock cylinders), this setup was pricey, to say the least. But it’s a very nice setup, should last a long time, and I think it’s the best and nicest-looking cargo box out there right now, at least, for our size vehicle (Yakima and Thule both offer a 21 cu ft box, but it’s too big for the 4Runner without sacrificing the ability to open the rear hatch with the box installed).

I think the angular design and “carbon fiber look” of the finish, complement the 4Runner well (OK, maybe that’s going a little far, but I think it looks as good as possible for a cargo box, haha).

I‘ll be hanging the box by the mount clamps on the garage wall when not in use.

Any questions, feel free to post up!

We tried out the Yakima CBX-18 on a road trip for the first time last week on our Gulf Shores trip (about 7 hrs, one-way).

Really enjoyed the box!

In the CBX, we carried a 60-lb, 10’x10’ pop-up canopy, 2 folding beach chairs, a stroller, a beach wagon, and a few other things. It was nice not having to put all that stuff into the 4Runner, which allowed us to keep things a lot better organized. Plus, all that stuff had sand all over it, as well as rust and rusty water, which is easy to clean out of the rooftop box.

The box was very quiet, even at higher speeds of >80 mph, and didn’t move around at all on the crossbars. Mounting was very secure, and the box is very easy to install on the crossbars, and remove. As mentioned in my first post, above, we bought the Yakima Jetstream aerodynamic crossbars and mount towers.

Fuel economy penalty was ~ 2 MPG. But I tend to drive fast (>80 mph most of the time). It could be that it would be less, at lower speeds. It’s very aerodynamic.

The latching/locking system is very secure and easy to use. The latch is positive, and, if, for whatever reason, it doesn’t latch, there is a red striped visual warning indicator. The box can be opened from either side.

I also bought a set of Yakima lock cylinders that I’ll install on both the box and the crossbar mount towers so that I’ll be able to unlock the box and the crossbar mounts with the same key.

At around $1500 total, for box and mount system (mount towers, crossbars, lock cylinders), this setup was pricey, to say the least. But it’s a very nice setup, should last a long time, and I think it’s the best and nicest-looking cargo box out there right now, at least, for our size vehicle (Yakima and Thule both offer a 21 cu ft box, but it’s too big for the 4Runner without sacrificing the ability to open the rear hatch with the box installed).

I think the angular design and “carbon fiber look” of the finish, complement the 4Runner well (OK, maybe that’s going a little far, but I think it looks as good as possible for a cargo box, haha).

I‘ll be hanging the box by the mount clamps on the garage wall when not in use.

Any questions, feel free to post up!
Hi John!

Do you have any updates to your review of the Yakima CBX 18? Have you identified any issues with it so far? Are you still happy with the box itself and how it integrates with your 4Runner?

I am currently looking for a box for my 2018 4Runner that is long enough to carry skis in the winter. The CBX 18 seems to fit the bill nicely. I do have Yakima's Timberline Towers and JetStream bars. Just looking for the best box to mount up there!

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer!

Jeff

I’ll tag on. We’ve been cargo box shopping as well. While this CBX is too pricey for us as we won’t use it but a few times a year, I did want to ask what made you stray away from the Thule Force XT lineup?

The most appealing thing to me about your CBX is the tightening tool that mounts out of the way. I just can’t see that being worth the $500+ more than others.

I’ll tag on. We’ve been cargo box shopping as well. While this CBX is too pricey for us as we won’t use it but a few times a year, I did want to ask what made you stray away from the Thule Force XT lineup?

The most appealing thing to me about your CBX is the tightening tool that mounts out of the way. I just can’t see that being worth the $500+ more than others.
In my case, the Thule Force XT XL is just a hair short for my needs. And if I go to the XXL, the box needs more clearance than I have to allow the rear hatch to open fully. So, the CBX 18 is just a better fit for me. But, yeah, the CBX 18 is $1079 retail. The Thule Force XT XL is a fine box for $750 retail.

Honestly, all Yakima and Thule boxes are super-pricey, for what they are. I'm watching for a good deal on a used box, but they are hard (aka impossible) to find. Most have been damaged (badly scratched and/or cracked) from being driven into a garage door, parking deck, or tree branches.

Hi John!

Do you have any updates to your review of the Yakima CBX 18? Have you identified any issues with it so far? Are you still happy with the box itself and how it integrates with your 4Runner?

I am currently looking for a box for my 2018 4Runner that is long enough to carry skis in the winter. The CBX 18 seems to fit the bill nicely. I do have Yakima's Timberline Towers and JetStream bars. Just looking for the best box to mount up there!

Thanks in advance for anything you can offer!

Jeff
Hey, welcome to the forum.

We’ve actually only used the CBX 18 once, last May, when we drove to the Gulf Coast (review above). But we’re getting ready to use it again next month when we take our annual family beach trip again, this time to Hilton Head.

Nothing to add - the box is great. It works exactly as I’d hoped it would.

I did a lot of research before getting it, and felt like that was the best rooftop cargo box on the market. The ability to open from either side, the aerodynamic shape, the adjustable mount system that allows mounting far enough forward for the tailgate to fully open with no interference, as well as the mount system tightening knob that is removable and able to be stowed out of the way, not hogging load space, these are the reasons I went with the CBX over others.

I also really like the non-glossy finish. I think it complements the 4Runner really well.

Yes, it was expensive. But it’s also quality (I hope - it did surprise me that the original CBX we bought ended up having a cracked top - but I think if we did have a premature failure, Yakima would stand by their product).

We kinda made the decision to “buy once, cry once”, and hopefully have a cargo box that will last us for many years. And, as little as we’ve used it, it should.

I don't really have anything to add other than a friend in HS used to insist that Yakima was a Japanese company and called it "Ya-kee-muh" thinking that's how to pronounce it. This was in the early 90s when Japanese products were considered the highest quality. Didn't believe me when I said it was named after a place in Washington State.

I don't really have anything to add other than a friend in HS used to insist that Yakima was a Japanese company and called it "Ya-kee-muh" thinking that's how to pronounce it. This was in the early 90s when Japanese products were considered the highest quality. Didn't believe me when I said it was named after a place in Washington State.
Makes sense. Rhymes with “Hiroshima”

Back