Every time a thread gets interesting, it's locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm aware of the site rules, and I realize things like foul language and discussions about politics are not allowed, but I must say that many threads get closed that aren't in violation of the site rules. The minute two posters disagree with each other, the topic is locked. I understand the mods wanting to have a nice, family friendly site and all, but discussions are about disagreement. If everyone had the same opinion, there would be no need for discussions of any kind, and our world would be very bland. It's our differences of opinions that make discussions interesting. Just because someone types the word "politics", it doesn't mean the topic is a political discussion. To the mods, please ease back on the thread closings. There's nothing wrong in keeping a site family friendly, but let's not get so restrictive that it makes the site dull and boring. This is a wonderful site with a lot of intelligent people who want their voices heard, and who also want to hear the voices of others (or we wouldn't be here). Let's not ruin the site by being overly restrictive...

most of the threads closed , I have seen, have been brought down by 2-6 users going political/near political/racist/sexist/etc.

Most notable, the 9/11 thread, on 09/11/2017, brought down by 2 users (Merkava4 and AndyinAL) going political/conspiracy theory.

Most of the times, all the other users and posters are just trying to have a conversation.

Originally Posted By: pandus13
most of the threads closed , I have seen, have been brought down by 2-6 users going political/near political/racist/sexist/etc.

Most notable, the 9/11 thread, on 09/11/2017, brought down by 2 users (Merkava4 and AndyinAL) going political/conspiracy theory.

Most of the times, all the other users and posters are just trying to have a conversation.

Yep, it's a select few that keep us from having nice things.

What’s wrong with Toffee?

I rather like Toffee is small quantities as I have to watch my diet now I am getting older.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
What's the "T" word?

Just turn the news on, I'm sure it's there. 5 letters long. Ends in rump.

Hey, its not your game. Play nice and have a good time. I'm a flaming liberal in a sea of gun toting neo-cons. Our commonalities are oil related. Celebrate them. Mebbe share a laugh , a good recipe a similar experience. Keep it congenial. P/S/R raises hackles, this is a non- hackle raising zone.
grin2.gif

I'm probably one of the posters that members here feel gets threads closed due to my comments. And I have no apologies for it.

Why do I say this? Well, because wherever I am these days....people with my mindset are always advised to keep your mouth closed and my opinions to myself. I am "old-fashioned" in my opinions (for lack of a better phrase that won't get THIS thread closed). And while the vast majority of people of a more progressive mind are allowed to express opinions and ideas (on this board as well as at my place of work and in the public forum), folks such as myself are frowned upon as some sort of antiquated "get off my lawn" fool. I get tired of it. That is why I often, and with vigor, respond toward others that feel free to express opinions in disregard to the rules. I'll be gosh darned if I will keep my mouth shut while others feel free to express ideas that I see as destructive or simply wrong. I will counter and offer my opinions as long as I am able. I will not break the rules....unless others do while getting to express themselves. I will not apologize for it. If the membership here wants me banned....that's fine. I know the rules are to be obeyed and if you don't....consequences may occur.

For my beliefs, I have no problem suffering the consequences of my rule breakage.

I notice quite a few folks here have trouble seeing past issues at face value. They really don't look past some antiquated tribal mentality. "MY GROUP IS BEST GROUP!". That hinders quite a bit of discussion.

The older I get I try to understand both sides of issues. Its usually an uninformed person who can only see one side. Or a blind one. When presented with anything to the contrary, they get out their pitchforks like its a personal insult, without ever consulting facts.

Originally Posted By: andyd
Hey, its not your game. Play nice and have a good time. I'm a flaming liberal in a sea of gun toting neo-cons. Our commonalities are oil related. Celebrate them. Mebbe share a laugh , a good recipe a similar experience. Keep it congenial. P/S/R raises hackles, this is a non- hackle raising zone.
grin2.gif

What is a "hackle"??

I'm still trying to figure our why threads like "Are pets/animals an important part of your life?" have any place on an oil forum.

Should be on BITAG

Originally Posted By: vintageant
I'm still trying to figure our why threads like "Are pets/animals an important part of your life?" have any place on an oil forum.

Should be on BITAG

That's why we have a "General" sub-forum. To discuss "general" non oil specific topics.

Originally Posted By: maximus
Totally in agreement with Andrew. The double standard is real.

Agreed. No religion? How many need prayers for such and such threads have there been. Ridiculous double standard.

If you have a board that states no politics, sex, religion...it's just that. It doesn't matter how upset you are or your need to respond with vigor...those are the guidelines of the board. I think moderators can take into consideration how vehement the argument becomes before they lock it, but this board tends to be hyper-predictable and I can understand mods taking a proactive approach just based on that reality. IBTL is a game here.

Personally, I could give three effs if someone has a need, duty, or self-appointed desire to "set things straight". This board will always be a mix of more learned and willfully ignorant people. That given reality says that flashpoint issues of politics, sex, and religion don't really work on what's ostensibly an oil and car care forum. If someone likes to get their candy pants in a bunch over politics or the Pope there are several forums out there for that...this is probably one of the last places I'd come to for discussions of current events independent of whatever way I lean politically.

I have also been annoyed about some thread lock decisions. It is unfortunate how our society has become with politics, etc. I love this site and appreciate everybody who participates.

+1 andrewg

Hope everyone is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back