Everstart Maxx or AC Delco battery ?

Everstarts are east penn made to walmart specs per customers that work in engineering at East Penn (We arent far from the factory). Johnson Controls spun off their battery division and the new company is clarios. Clarios makes advance/diehard, Duralast, AC Delco, Motorcraft and others. Clarios lost the exclusive contract for interstate per my clarios rep. They make some batteries and Exide makes some interstates
Walmart also sells Clarios made Everstart batteries depending on the geopraphical location.

The original battery in the Frontier is pushing seven years but has had no starting issues thus far. I was in Walmart last week and checked out an EverMaxx. It said it was made by Clarios. As to where it was made, I didn't check. From reading here on BITOG I thought all east coast Walmarts carried batteries made by Eastern Penn.

If it were me I would go for a battery made by East Penn, however you determine that. And not buy if made by Exide. You will have to look. If the Walmart battery has a serial number that starts with "EP" it's made by East Penn. Unsure of AC Delco.

Everstarts are east penn made to walmart specs per customers that work in engineering at East Penn (We arent far from the factory). Johnson Controls spun off their battery division and the new company is clarios. Clarios makes advance/diehard, Duralast, AC Delco, Motorcraft and others. Clarios lost the exclusive contract for interstate per my clarios rep. They make some batteries and Exide makes some interstates
depends on where you live...the Everstart Maxx batteries I've looked at in the ChicagoLand area are Clarios products...I'd suspect that Walmart sources from several vendors

Bill

I've bought Everstart Maxx, Costco Interstate and Menard's AC Delco for cars in the last 2 years...I shopped warranty )all 3 had 3 year full replacement with 2 year pro rated) CCA, RC etc and price...all three were made by Johnson Controls/Clarios...

I only bought the AC Delco Menards battery for one car as everything exceeded the OEM battery and I saved about $35 because I had that in Menard's Rebate bux...

Good luck with your choice

Bill

when I have bought Walmart Everstart Maxx batteries I had to register (I used the self check out line) the battery before I finished my purchase on the key pad they have at check out...I suspect the cashier would do it at the regular check out and the warranty starts when you purchase not when the battery was made...I DO look for the newest made sticker when I have the choice

Bill

The original battery in the Frontier is pushing seven years but has had no starting issues thus far. I was in Walmart last week and checked out an EverMaxx. It said it was made by Clarios. As to where it was made, I didn't check. From reading here on BITOG I thought all east coast Walmarts carried batteries made by Eastern Penn.

If you have time, check for the made in Mexico sticker. Clarios owns 6 plants in Mexico as well as plants in the USA. Here is a Ever Start Maxx made in Mexico but it doesn’t say if it’s a Clarios. Also there are Ever Start batteries here that say made in the USA, but there is no EP on the label.

84617220-086E-4D25-B890-8D86F6C96413.jpeg1A08DCC9-711B-42A4-B046-8CDD4199B95C.jpeg

AC Delco in Tahoe is 3+ years old and I have never made more than 4 years on one. If I’m going to price an ACD from a small town dealership vs Walmart … you know how that’s going to shake out.
In our world you are always within 20 miles of a Walmart … easy to work with.
Might just start fresh in January so it’s not going to fail on the girls while I’m gone …

And here is more confusion to add. There are Everstarts that are maintenance free ( I’m not talking AGM) and Everstarts with caps. Here is one with two rectangular caps you can pry up and add distilled water to. It happens to be made in the USA, so it’s not a Mexican thing.

57EF8C0C-7531-45FF-90C9-9B84CA2D84DC.jpeg

I vote AC Delco if I had to choose from those options. Last time I tried to get a battery replaced at Walmart they refused warranty because they didn’t install it I installed it myself so I’m never buying one from them again. Also I’ve never had one last more than 2 years. I got a Rural King battery last time for my dads car made by Exide. For everything else I use Duralast or Interstate.

Reactions: wdn
One thing not clear is, did you present your dated receipt to them?
The warranty just had ended. But I had read where these batteries last longer than most. I've since learned that when a battery is new and sits, it can reduce its possible life span considerably. I'm not soured on AC Delco, but I should have known better when dealing with a car dealership. I accept it as the cost of a good lesson I won't forget. And, it led me to look elsewhere and I found a better warranty/price on the Kirkland.

And here is a Everstart Max made in the USA, but no EP on the sticker. These are distributed by Walmart Canada. And yes I did check the computer label. No EP on it.
Walmart has a few different battery suppliers recently as well. In Cali, I’ve seen Clarios(JCI), Hankook Atlas(ATL) and Hyundai Songwoo(HSW I think) on the serials. There’s a third Korean serial I’ve seen but I can’t make out. I know Clarios has a division in Korea called Delkor, started from when GM has a presence via Daewoo.

I’d kill for that sealed battery Costco sells in Canada. Almost all JCIs puke acid.

Walmart has a few different battery suppliers recently as well. In Cali, I’ve seen Clarios(JCI), Hankook Atlas(ATL) and Hyundai Songwoo(HSW I think) on the serials. There’s a third Korean serial I’ve seen but I can’t make out. I know Clarios has a division in Korea called Delkor, started from when GM has a presence via Daewoo.

I’d kill for that sealed battery Costco sells in Canada. Almost all JCIs puke acid.
I’m thinking the “Made in Mexico “ Ever Starts are made by Clarios.

And here is more confusion to add. There are Everstarts that are maintenance free ( I’m not talking AGM) and Everstarts with caps. Here is one with two rectangular caps you can pry up and add distilled water to. It happens to be made in the USA, so it’s not a Mexican thing.

View attachment 37637
That 36R is an east penn. All 36r batteries have the caps, dont know why. The date sticker is the one East Penn uses and the battery case is identical to the East Penn I have on my battery shelf. The group 65 you posted a picture of is an East Penn as well because of the flat top. East Penn makes flat top group 65s, Clarios group 65s have vent caps.

AC Delco in Tahoe is 3+ years old and I have never made more than 4 years on one. If I’m going to price an ACD from a small town dealership vs Walmart … you know how that’s going to shake out.
In our world you are always within 20 miles of a Walmart … easy to work with.
Might just start fresh in January so it’s not going to fail on the girls while I’m gone …
Well, maybe I’m getting an AC Delco after-all …
Wife calls yesterday when a young girl crashed the rear of our Tahoe … would not start.
Was towed to our GM dealership that has a good body shop/service department etc …
Hour later I get a low battery email from OnStar … told her to tell insurance adjuster …

Only pay attention to the free replacement part of the warranty. The pro-rated part is worthless IMO. It is a scam. Look closely at the terms. When you pay to replace a battery under the pro-rated part of the warranty (say, year 4 of the 5 year warranty), you will end-up paying nearly the full retail price, but the replacement battery basically has no warranty (the warranty is only from the sale date of the ORIGINAL battery that you replaced and you get NO free replacement period).

I like ACD batteries, and have had good luck with them.

But the simplicity of finding a battery and picking one with the right date code is a major benefit of buying from a place like WM. Autonomy to get your item. As much as I cant stand to shop at WM, I do put up with their automotive section...

I put a Walmart Everstart Maxx in my daughters Sentra last week. I like the price, the 3 year replacement warranty, and the fact that Walmart’s are everywhere if she has any issues. I had one die in my old Frontier about 2 years into its life. With the receipt, Walmart swapped it out after they tested it, no issues.

Only pay attention to the free replacement part of the warranty. The pro-rated part is worthless IMO. It is a scam. Look closely at the terms. When you pay to replace a battery under the pro-rated part of the warranty (say, year 4 of the 5 year warranty), you will end-up paying nearly the full retail price, but the replacement battery basically has no warranty (the warranty is only from the sale date of the ORIGINAL battery that you replaced and you get NO free replacement period).

Wag's is totally correct about this ^^^^^^^^

Only be concerned with the free replacement warranty part....

Back