Walmart Everstart plus H6 vs. Maxx H6 battery

I found Walmart to be the cheapest as well when I replaced the H6 flooded lead acid battery in my Toyota about 6 months ago. Autozone and O'Reilly were both around $20 to $60 more.

The original battery was also a flooded lead acid, so that's what I put in. The standard Walmart H6 had a few more CCA. I wouldn't pay an extra $50 for a 1 year additional warranty. Especially if it's pro rated.

They tend to drop off fast in value the last year of the warranty. Beware of the, "fuzzy math" contained in most automotive battery warranties.
Pro-rated is not a thing anymore. Whatever the length of the warranty is covers free replacement, period.

Those batteries are garbage and the wrong size. Please don't give dumb, bad advice.
Myself and many others here have had them for 5+ years with no issues so don't call them garbage anymore than any other brand. 12 volts is 12 volts and if the terminals are in the right position, it will fit good enough. If you want exact fit, knock yourself out and spend another $60-$100 for the one called for by application.

Myself and many others here have had them for 5+ years with no issues so don't call them garbage anymore than any other brand. 12 volts is 12 volts and if the terminals are in the right position, it will fit good enough. If you want exact fit, knock yourself out and spend another $60-$100 for the one called for by application.
"good enough" fit is not good enough. Buy the right battery instead of being cheap. Go for the cheaper Value option if available, but never the wrong size, that trash has not once fit correctly in any car with a tiedown

If you happen to have a Sam’s Club membership (or have a nearby friend with one), you can get their Deka-made Duracell branded H6 with the same CCA as the Maxx and 3-year warranty for $129.88. If you can wait a bit, you might get another $20 off. They run that sale every 2-3 months.

Similarly, Costco's H6 options are the standard FLA for $118.99 (Item 8852242) or AGM for $179.99 (1355770). Both have 36-month replacement warranties, and made by Clarios. In terms of product tier, the FLA is the Good/Better/Best, with 700+ CCA (730; 760 for the AGM)

If membership is an issue, consider the cost delta to the Walmart-label Maxx is $31, so factoring in the need for a base $60 membership means getting a year's access for $29.

With Walmart, the regular Maxx source can also be a lottery -- East Penn, Clarios, or a South Korean maker, depending on location.

But assuming that Walmart's $170 AGM H6 is the same Clarios-made battery as the Costco Interstate, the additional year of warranty and $10 lower price would make it the more attractive option.

None of the other chain stores can compete with the WM and warehouse club triumvirate in terms of price.

I've decided to go with the walmart option. There are two walmarts within seven miles of me. The WA walmart batteries are the South Korean made ones (used to be Clarios) and the Idaho wamart ones are still Clarios made. Does anyone have a preference between the two makers? Thanks.

"good enough" fit is not good enough. Buy the right battery instead of being cheap. Go for the cheaper Value option if available, but never the wrong size, that trash has not once fit correctly in any car with a tiedown
It's good enough for me and many others who have better use for the $60-$100 they would be saving. Your choice, your decision.

Good luck having your battery warrantied when they find out you installed the wrong size.
How would they even know what I installed it in? Walmart doesn't care, just bring the receipt showing it's under warranty and get a replacement.

I bought this $30 Walmart lawn tractor battery in 2020 and used it in a Taurus for a year before selling the car, now it's still running strong in my Lotus.

48fcd93d-ceea-48b8-9759-906374feb38a.3f4680f6c2213559c57f87c92b1757fc.jpeg

I've decided to go with the walmart option. There are two walmarts within seven miles of me. The WA walmart batteries are the South Korean made ones (used to be Clarios) and the Idaho wamart ones are still Clarios made. Does anyone have a preference between the two makers? Thanks.
I don't think you'd go wrong with either of these batteries. Clarios owns factories all over the world, so if you're saying the South Korean is JC (johnson controls on the bar code, starts with) then it's Clarios. Where are the Idaho walmart ones made? Mexico? US?

On my latest (for example) I went with made in Spain which people on here are telling me it's Varta (Clarios/Johnson Controls owned). I think the quality is excellent, maybe you can try the South Korean one and take a chance, might surprise you and be good.. that's my $0.02

I'd go with the $60 26R Value battery. That's all a 4.3 engine needs.
This is the 26R I put in my wife's prius to replace its factory 140R/H4. A proper replacement starts at $180; this was $60. Same width & length, maybe a little taller. Way more reserve capacity and CCA. Not sure why Toyota puts such a bizzarely terrible yet expensive size in an economy car.

Attachments

• 20230415_111434.jpg
    20230415_111434.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 14
Watch at your discretion .

He says that the Diehard is rated for 775 cca, but tested at 697 for a net drop of 78; this where I stopped watching. Not judging the merits of the video as it is not relevant to me personally, but I believe that the Diehard utilized was rated at 750 cca. If he somehow recognized the error and corrected it within follow-up responses/comments, it is a notable oversight, I think! Am I misreading this as an error?

Attachments

• 1681666678337.jpg
    1681666678337.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1681666924693.jpg
    1681666924693.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 15
If you happen to have a Sam’s Club membership (or have a nearby friend with one), you can get their Deka-made Duracell branded H6 with the same CCA as the Maxx and 3-year warranty for $129.88. If you can wait a bit, you might get another $20 off. They run that sale every 2-3 months.
They are having the $20 off sale right now at Sams Club,.

I have had all 3 tiers of lead acid batteries from walmart over the last 15 years or so - meaning several of each. They have lasted less than 1 to max 4 years - lasting meaning most actually failed - I presume a bad cell as they would loose charge if they sat very long, although a couple I replaced when my tester said it was time. I think they heat here is hard on them.

I only buy them because there the cheapest, easiest to acquire, and easiest to warranty.

The longest lasting one was the mid tier - made in Spain, and lasted 4 years.

I have had all 3 tiers of lead acid batteries from walmart over the last 15 years or so - meaning several of each. They have lasted less than 1 to max 4 years - lasting meaning most actually failed - I presume a bad cell as they would loose charge if they sat very long, although a couple I replaced when my tester said it was time. I think they heat here is hard on them.

I only buy them because there the cheapest, easiest to acquire, and easiest to warranty.

The longest lasting one was the mid tier - made in Spain, and lasted 4 years.
glad you posted this! so the made in spain one lasted the longest? awesome.. I just bought one at walmart, maxx 24 series, made in spain! I had a feeling that looked like good quality, glad I took the chance.

Something to remember too, if you are a short tripper AGM batteries take a longer to charge. This too is noticed with the car's own alternator. I am a short tripper and both the OEM Hyundai factory AGM, this new German made one and my old 15 lbs Braille racing battery never came up to full charge unless I drove 1 hour+. My car's alt puts out 14.3 to 14.6 with Big 3 multi grounded charging wiring kit and Hyundai/Kia OEM battery is an AGM so it has a AGM charging algorithm. I can watch the charging on my Bank's iDash gauge. It is a known issue with AGM's.

Last edited:
Something to remember too, if you are a short tripper AGM batteries take a longer to charge. This too is noticed with the car's own alternator. I am a short tripper and both the OEM Hyundai factory AGM, this new German made one and my old 15 lbs Braille racing battery never came up to full charge unless I drove 1 hour+. My car's alt puts out 14.3 to 14.6 with Big 3 multi grounded charging wiring kit and Hyundai/Kia OEM battery is an AGM so it has a AGM charging algorithm. I can watch the charging on my Bank's iDash gauge. It is a known issue with AGM's.
AGM have less internal resistance than flb so they are better at excepting a charge than flooded lead battery. Short trips charge neither battery types.

Back