Should I return this EverStart Platinum battery, or put it in service

So I bought this EverStart Platinum H6 battery on Friday to replace the OEM H6 that is currently in my 2015 Cayman, and is now nearing the 9th year on this planet. Recent testing of the OEM battery is showing that is now on the brink of needing to be replaced, and the Start/Stop functionality of the car isn't taking place at all anymore, which is the first sign that the car is protecting the battery.

So, first thing I did after getting the battery home from Walmart on Saturday is hook up my Ancel BST200 tester to it, and I was shocked at how poor the results were for a battery with a 10/23 sticker is. I should have taken a picture at the time, but I didn't. The results I can remember was 550 CCA, resistance of over 4.8, and the SOH was 72%, with SOC being around 84%.

So, first thing I do is toss hook up my 0.75A Battery Tender, for a nice long, slow recharge.
After 16 hours, the BT shut off, and then the readings were 100% SOC, but the resistance is in the 4.7 range, and SOH is only 78%.
That just doesn't seem good enough for a brand new battery to me, or am I off base?

So I then hooked it up to a 1.25A Battery Tender, and let it go again until it shut off.
I unplugged it, and let is rest over night, and now here are the results:

20231217_082305.jpg

20231217_082312.jpg

20231217_082252.jpg

So what do you think?
Should I put it into service, or should I return it to Walmart, and hunt down a better one instead?

As you can see, this it the South Korean version of the battery, and I'm not convinced I'm going to get a long service life from this battery.
Though, I do have to admit that the resting 13.04 Volts is way better than what's in the Cayman right now.

Here's the results on the Cayman's OEM battery after spending all night on the 0.75A charger:
20231217_084745.jpg

20231217_084754.jpg

Thanks for your opinions.

Reactions: Y_K
Your concerns are vald. A virgin battery, not pressed into service, should show 15% or so more CCA than it's rated. Midtronics even says not to test new batteries as you'd get spurious results. When I worked at the tire shop I did anyway to show customers that our batteries were the freshest, they got "a ringer" made on a Tuesday, etc etc.

Take it back, don't give them a reason other than you don't want it. What did you pay, more than $200? Get the best when you pay the best.

IMHO you can return it to Walmart but I don't think that you will find anything better in that class of battery. An Optima, or Odyssey battery may provide you with better specs and service, but you are going to pay for it.

I used to think that those little stickers on the batteries (in the OP's case 10/23) were the legitimate date of manufacture but I'm not so sure anymore. I've read that stores 'update' those stickers so who knows. The reason I bring this up is the battery may be older than you think especially since I doubt many Porsche owners buy their batteries at Walmart. Having said that I've had better luck with Walmart batteries than with any other brand.

often a new battery benefits from the first few cycles. Of get a good battery desulfater. I made mine 40 years ago in high school using quaility not made in china components and it still works. It is good to boost a battery

Rod

The only way you'll get something better is if you can get an East Penn/Deka-made battery.

Since you already know your OE battery is on the way out, install the new one, drive it a few days, and then measure it again

I used to think that those little stickers on the batteries (in the OP's case 10/23) were the legitimate date of manufacture but I'm not so sure anymore. I've read that stores 'update' those stickers so who knows. The reason I bring this up is the battery may be older than you think especially since I doubt many Porsche owners buy their batteries at Walmart. Having said that I've had better luck with Walmart batteries than with any other brand.
I read somewhere that the sticker is the date the battery was last charged.

I noticed that is an EverStart Platinum series battery which is an AGM, not Flooded Lead Acid. I don't have any experience with AGMs but was wondering if they test different than FLA batteries? I know the charging profile is different, thereby requiring an AGM compliant charger/maintainer. Maybe someone on this board can't shine some light on this situation.

Also, my recent experience with returning a battery to WalMart is that they will offer an exchange/replacement only if it tests bad after they charge it up for a few hours on their Midtronics tester. Their current store policy is no refunds on any "good" automotive batteries, only exchanges.

Last edited:
I noticed that is an EverStart Platinum series battery which is an AGM, not Flooded Lead Acid. I don't have any experience with AGMs but was wondering if they test different than FLA batteries? I know the charging profile is different, thereby requiring an AGM compliant charger/maintainer. Maybe someone on this board can't shine some light on this situation.

Also, my recent experience with returning a battery to WalMart is that they will offer an exchange/replacement only if it tests bad after they charge it up for a few hours on their Midtronics tester. Their current store policy is no refunds on any automotive batteries, only exchanges.

Or find a WM without any auto service but sells the battery and they will exchange without testing it.

Or find a WM without any auto service but sells the battery and they will exchange without testing it.
My local WalMarts that don't have the auto service centers have the Midtronics battery test units on a cart at the Customer Service desk where returns are made. They made me leave the battery with them for 8 hours so they could recharge it and test it before agreeing to an exchange.

You need half the rated CCA to fail a Midtronics test, so you aren't there yet.

Last I knew, WM allowed returns within 30 (?) days on nearly anything you weren't satisfied with. But don't get dragged in the details. You don't want it, and you want your money back. Make sure it's perfectly clean, and mention it wasn't used.

H6 is a relatively common size, it's not just a "Porsche battery."

You need half the rated CCA to fail a Midtronics test, so you aren't there yet.

Last I knew, WM allowed returns within 30 (?) days on nearly anything you weren't satisfied with.
But don't get dragged in the details. You don't want it, and you want your money back. Make sure it's perfectly clean, and mention it wasn't used.

Here is the return/exchange policy copied directly from WalMart's website. Note the requirement for the battery to fail the test.

1702841604809.jpg

Back