tester read different on battery

My kid texted me her car would not start at work. its a 2019 hyundai . i went and jumped it . before i jumped it i checked the voltage and it was around 5.5 volts . put my battery pack jumper and it started right up . charge was 14.5 volts so most likely battery .

good thing there was a Costco not to far from her work and i bought a H6 battery . went back and installed it and all is good. I took the battery home .

i put it on a 10 amp auto charger and it charged up to 13.25 volts . the SOC was 98% while he SOH was 34%. 350 amp from listed 600 amp battery . this was from my chinese battery tester. So its bad according to the test. i also have a 100 amp toaster tester. tested it for the 10 seconds and the voltage did not drop much and it stayed at the 600 amp line. tried it a couple of times with the same result

this is making me curious on which is correct . one test says it bad and the other says its good . i don't intend to put it back though. almost 5 years on a battery is ok

Use that five year old battery to get your core money back. A five year old battery which is questionable isn't worth keeping.

.... i also have a 100 amp toaster tester. tested it for the 10 seconds and the voltage did not drop much and it stayed at the 600 amp line. tried it a couple of times with the same result....
100A is a easy test to pass. Apply a load at 1/2 of the CCA rating for 15 sec and monitor voltage. At a battery temperature of 70F the voltage under load should be at least 9.6V after 15 sec. At a battery temperature of 30F, the voltage should be at least 9.1V.

and at 9.1V, it's questionable if the car starts without error messages. You don't want to sink that low in a current car under actual starting conditions.

i put it on a 10 amp auto charger and it charged up to 13.25 volts . the SOC was 98% while he SOH was 34%. 350 amp from listed 600 amp battery .
350 amps is plenty to start a Hyundai. Certainly more than your jump pack puts out. Kid probably left something on. Put a battery maintainer/desulphator/reconditioner on it for a week or two and you will probably add another 100 amps to that battery.

5.5v is worse than a shorted cell.

Letting an alternator attempt to charge a battery that low isn’t good for it.

voltage and capacity varies a lot in cold weather. If the battery is discharged too low, the electrolyte can also freeze, changing ratings significantly as it melts and the battery warms.

Replacement for a 5 year old battery that went that low is prudent, especially if your kid doesn’t know how to handle these things themself.

went back to garage and retested the battery after its sat overnight. odd thing is that its still over 13 volts. after restesting pretty much the same results . very odd battery

100A is a easy test to pass. Apply a load at 1/2 of the CCA rating for 15 sec and monitor voltage. At a battery temperature of 70F the voltage under load should be at least 9.6V after 15 sec. At a battery temperature of 30F, the voltage should be at least 9.1V.
Thanks-good to know. I use 10 v using the starter an indicator of a strong battery.

Last edited:
Back