Everstart Maxx or AC Delco battery ?

It's time to replace the battery in the SUV. What should I get ? Everstart Maxx from Walmart or AC Delco from Menards both are around $100.

I'd base it on the better warranty.

Not sure what group battery you need... but I looked up mine, and see that the CCA of the Maxx is clearly higher. Also, I think it would be a lot easier to get a warranty adjustment, if one is ever needed, from W*M.

Of course, the ACD would simply look better under the hood of a GM vehicle.... ;)

Last edited:
Everstart Max seems to have a 3 year free replacement and plus two year prorated. I have one on its fourth year. I also have an AC Delco Professional on its seventh year ( but not under super hot conditions but either is Michigan). Like mrsil04 said get the warranty info. My next one will be an AC Delco Professional with a 42 month free replacement warranty, but to each his own. :)

Last edited:
0A9C310F-9E81-4DD6-B11F-13CC4045DF99.jpeg

Last time I checked the Everstart was made by Clarios not Johnson Controls.
Everstarts are east penn made to walmart specs per customers that work in engineering at East Penn (We arent far from the factory). Johnson Controls spun off their battery division and the new company is clarios. Clarios makes advance/diehard, Duralast, AC Delco, Motorcraft and others. Clarios lost the exclusive contract for interstate per my clarios rep. They make some batteries and Exide makes some interstates

With a 5 year warranty....3 free, 2 prorated and a good price...the Maxx is hard to beat.

Had one in my daughter's Yaris for over a year with no problems.

Screenshot_2019-11-09-13-08-28.png

I vote Costco. Interstate $80.
I learned a tough lesson on how to buy a battery. When I last needed one, I found the AC Delcos and noted the 42 month warranty. What I did NOT check when I got it from a GM dealer was the date. I asked and was told, "It's a fresh battery and the date is coded". Well, last week, it died a few months out of warranty. I looked into the date code and it was 8 mos. old when I got it "new". Fool me once shame on me. So......this time around, I found the Costco Kirkland Signature battery. Not sure about Costco in US, but in Canada, it has a 48 month full replacement with 100 month proration for replacement. Total with tax was around $127 Canadian for 800 CCA Battery Type 78. Even the CAA battery deal was lower in value by comparison. For what I could find in Southern Ontario, this was as good as it gets. I did notice they have AGM batteries, but the warranty on those, while great, does not measure up based on the proportionally much higher price. Flooded lead acid is just fine with me at this warrant/price ratio. I actually reached back and got the freshest one they had. (Well, I guess they all are pretty fresh given the turnover of inventory at Costco, but still.....).

Attachments

• IMG_2771 2.jpeg
    IMG_2771 2.jpeg
    127.1 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 64
Everstarts are east penn made to walmart specs per customers that work in engineering at East Penn.
The ones they sell here are made by Clarios. That's why I am asking around......I never heard of Clarios and wondered how reliable they were.

I learned a tough lesson on how to buy a battery. When I last needed one, I found the AC Delcos and noted the 42 month warranty. What I did NOT check when I got it from a GM dealer was the date. I asked and was told, "It's a fresh battery and the date is coded". Well, last week, it died a few months out of warranty. I looked into the date code and it was 8 mos. old when I got it "new". Fool me once shame on me. So......this time around, I found the Costco Kirkland Signature battery. Not sure about Costco in US, but in Canada, it has a 48 month full replacement with 100 month proration for replacement. Total with tax was around $127 Canadian for 800 CCA Battery Type 78. Even the CAA battery deal was lower in value by comparison. For what I could find in Southern Ontario, this was as good as it gets. I did notice they have AGM batteries, but the warranty on those, while great, does not measure up based on the proportionally much higher price. Flooded lead acid is just fine with me at this warrant/price ratio. I actually reached back and got the freshest one they had. (Well, I guess they all are pretty fresh given the turnover of inventory at Costco, but still.....).
I THINK Costco starts the warranty by sale date. I brought one in that I was sure was outta warranty. Costco guy found it on his computer and handed me a new one. Maybe a month left? And out the door I went.
Outstanding. Costco is my goto for car batteries.

I posted about the ACDelco battery in my 05 Classic over a year ago. It's still going!

When I buy a battery I put the receipt in an envelope and put it in the glove compartment with a message “ keep until ______. “ That way if the battery fails while on the road you have the receipt with you.

On an Everstart it has a tag with the manufacturing date, a message to keep the receipt and a tag to mark the out-the-door date which I believe the person at the till is supposed to mark. ( but probably doesn’t). My sold-in-Canada version also has a tag to bring back with the old battery to receive $15 CDN back. The version in the pic had an 06/20 sticker on a battery and the date I took the pic was in 12/20. This was a battery on the shelf.

25D730B6-10CB-4EF8-AD16-046C4049A218.jpeg

Last edited:
One thing not clear is, did you present your dated receipt to them?

Back