Everstart batteries-walmart owned and cant get replacment.

I bought a new Everstart maxx battery at Wal-Mart in May of 2017.Had 5year replacement,3 from Wal-Mart(which owns Everstart) and the last 2 years pro-rated by the company.I tried to get a battery (knowing it was going to cost something)and low-an-behold,the woman at the service desk said it was previously returned and I HAD to have returned it once before. I asked how I could have done that when I had the old one sitting right in my buggy?Just keep your receipt if you buy one.

No experience with it, but the guy at WM said they will do a warranty exchange even if it’s beyond the 3 year mark.

Granted this was almost 4 years ago when I bought the battery.

I’m sure it’s store dependent. It doesn’t sound like you talked to the right person though.

I’m confused. Sounds like you were returning the old bad battery to get a prorated credit? Did you have your receipt? I don’t think they can help you without a receipt.

Make a copy of receipt (so not on thermal paper) and keep in glove box. I might try going a different time/day. Or a different Walmart. You may have better luck. But you got your 3 years out of it. The pro-rated warranty is not worth much.

Just for chuckles, who made the failing battery? JCI? Exide?

Two issues here:

1) Attempting to get a replacement for a good battery isnt covered by that warranty. The warranty provides for a new battery, for a prorated cost, in the event the warrantied battery goes bad.

2) Without a receipt, there is no identifiable information in the computer for that specific battery. If the battery in question was obtained previously by this same method - returning a good battery to get a fresh one - then that could be indicated in the computer based on your DL or phone number or other identifying info. It sounds like that is what the employee was referencing, the fact that this had been done already and they weren’t going to allow it a 2nd time.

Agreed the warranty is only off the date of original purchase. If the battery had been warrantied once before there is no warranty unless still within the prorated period for the first battery.

I recently took a dead battery to walmart that was 4yrs and 11 months old. Based on the receipt I could get a $2 pro rated discount off the new battery. BUT the new battery would only have a 1 month warranty....

Or
Buy a new battery for $2 more and get full warranty. I went with this option.

Agreed the warranty is only off the date of original purchase. If the battery had been warrantied once before there is no warranty unless still within the prorated period for the first battery.

I recently took a dead battery to walmart that was 4yrs and 11 months old. Based on the receipt I could get a $2 pro rated discount off the new battery. BUT the new battery would only have a 1 month warranty....

Or
Buy a new battery for $2 more and get full warranty. I went with this option.
I think you are correct on the full replacement. But not on the prorated.

I got run around like that on last battery at WM. Girl behind counter said no record of my battery. I had receipt, but they hadn't recorded somehow. Anyway, I got a new one.

I may be wrong, but I thought ANY battery you get has the warranty no matter if it was a payback for a a warranty. I used to sell batteries, and almost all lasted 3 years on a 5 year warranty. The tag on the battery they got was the new warranty.

I bought a new Everstart maxx battery at Wal-Mart in May of 2017.Had 5year replacement,3 from Wal-Mart(which owns Everstart) and the last 2 years pro-rated by the company.I tried to get a battery (knowing it was going to cost something)and low-an-behold,the woman at the service desk said it was previously returned and I HAD to have returned it once before. I asked how I could have done that when I had the old one sitting right in my buggy?Just keep your receipt if you buy one.
If you don't have your receipt, they go by the date code on the battery. They also use the information on your drivers license when you return or exchange. If you never did a warranty return, your information in their system is corrupted.

If you don't have your receipt, they go by the date code on the battery. They also use the information on your drivers license when you return or exchange. If you never did a warranty return, your information in their system is corrupted.
Last battery I bought at walmart had me fill out some stuff at the register (I did self checkout) for the warranty info (scanned a different code on the battery, I guess one that identifies the battery itself with a unique number), so it is supposed to be in the system.

I have the receipt in my filing cabinet as well though.

WM Batteries have serial numbers and bar codes. The cashier *must* scan the serial number or the sale won't go through. It's been this way a long time, since the early 2010s.

The warranty on a warranty replacement battery is based off the original battery, as Brybo86 explained.

Possible scenarios:

-- bar code scanned wrong. Highly, highly improbable
-- bar code couldn't scan, so cashier typed it in manually, wrongly. More probable, but still not very
-- you found the battery in a used car and didn't actually buy it yourself, and have no history.
-- someone swapped batteries/labels on you when you weren't looking.
-- the serial number is in their computer as having been a warranty replacement, as el Nuke explains.

Last edited:
It has been several years since I bought a battery at Wal-Mart. The last one I bought went bad in 2 months. I went to the store in Tompkinsville KY where I bought the battery with my receipt and was given the run around. After much grief I did get a replacement but was told- that was the last one. I asked the store manager that if I was unfortunate enough to get two junk batteries in a row that I would just loose the $106 that I paid for the Ever Start Max. The store manager said that is correct - if I got two bad batteries in a row I would have to buy another.. I have bought 4 batteries since that time and none have come from Walmart.

It has been several years since I bought a battery at Wal-Mart. The last one I bought went bad in 2 months. I went to the store in Tompkinsville KY where I bought the battery with my receipt and was given the run around. After much grief I did get a replacement but was told- that was the last one. I asked the store manager that if I was unfortunate enough to get two junk batteries in a row that I would just loose the $106 that I paid for the Ever Start Max. The store manager said that is correct - if I got two bad batteries in a row I would have to buy another.. I have bought 4 batteries since that time and none have come from Walmart.
Gotta put your money where your mouth is.
Good for you.
Although if you have purchased 6 batteries in "several" years....
I would be looking into something else that is killing your batteries....

3 vehicles - 2 motorcycles - 2 lawn mowers - 1 boat with 2 batteries for a total of 9 batteries. If they all last 5 years each I am still buying nearly 2 batteries a year.

Walmart warranty is terrible. I only buy cheapest one from them knowing no warranty and only if I am caught with nothing else open or I am running short on cash.

Just wondering, Walmart still sells plenty of batteries that have caps and need distilled water added in hot environments. I’m wondering if the warranty is valid if the water level is below the top of the plates.

Back