EV sales rise in California bucking claims of dwindling demand

Shel_B

Site Donor 2023
Numerous automakers have claimed over the past few weeks that EV demand is dwindling, but recent California sales figures tell another story.

EV sales continued to rise in the state during the third quarter of 2023, according to a quarterly report from the California New Car Dealers Association (CNCDA). EVs represented 22.3% of California new-car sales in Q3, while plug-in hybrids had 3.3% market share.

California is like 15% of the population, electric vehicle sales could easily be increasing with perks like $7,000 tax credit, free hov lane use and $6 a gallon gas putting pressure on drivers to go electric. Then see sales declining everywhere else.
It’s easy to convince anyone to do something that you want when you’re handing out freebies and artificially inducing pain with their otherwise preferred choice…

I just got my first EV. I totaled my old Pilot in a wreck, and went with a Tesla to replace it. The Tesla is quirky, but it is a straight-up rocket ship on wheels. If you like launching from a stop and vomit-inducing acceleration, consider test driving one.

Edit: I should mention that my wife and I each have a ICE vehicle, the Tesla is essentially a spare vehicle.

I just got my first EV. I totaled my old Pilot in a wreck, and went with a Tesla to replace it. The Tesla is quirky, but it is a straight-up rocket ship on wheels. If you like launching from a stop and vomit-inducing acceleration, consider test driving one.
We’ve never debated that. Even most of us don’t “hate” EVs, we hate the methods being used to push them onto people who don’t want them.

If it makes sense for you, awesome. There are use cases where EVs are brilliant. But cut the mandates and freebies and market manipulation… and let people who want EVs buy them, and those who don’t can still buy ICEs. Everyone’s satisfied, except the tyrants.

@Shel_B we hate EVs as much as anyone else, but the gas is killing us! Gonna get me another Tesla soon!

Maybe we should cut all the big oil subsidies; everyone would be buying an EV! Well, I guess all those Saudi princes and their bazillion wives all need another McLaren or 2, right?

@Shel_B we hate EVs as much as anyone else, but the gas is killing us! Gonna get me another Tesla soon!

Maybe we should cut all the big oil subsidies; everyone would be buying an EV! Well, I guess all those Saudi princes and their bazillion wives all need another McLaren or 2, right?
That is where your thinking is badly skewed or you are trolling for a argument. Drill baby drill. LOL

Cali will do what it wants, I filled up 20 gallons of 87 yesterday @ $2.74 cents and it took maybe 5 minutes max. Also, there are no power cords littering my driveway, nor do I have an app to know if my heated seat subscription payment is coming due. ICE life is good.

Edit: I should mention that my wife and I each have a ICE vehicle, the Tesla is essentially a spare vehicle.
And where exactly in MA can you drive this thing like a rocket ship? Vomit inducing acceleration. LOL

I wish Tesla would focus on making them cheaper with more normal acceleration. With their supposed manufacturing efficiency advantage along with smaller batteries and electric motors you'd think they could put them out for less. 0-60 in 7.0 is plenty enough acceleration when you can command it all instantaneously, that is what the ID.4 RWD does for acceleration per the car mags and it is plenty enough, having had experienced it.

Can California carry the EV industry?
Carry it? By itself California would be the worlds 5th largest economy, bigger than the UK. So I imagine it would still be quite profitable for a company to sell most of their cars there, and in the US north east which those 9 states would be the worlds 3rd largest economy.
Those are two big markets large enough to support multiple EV makers.
Also the California climate and geography works well with EV's, places like North Dakota aren't ideal for current EV's atleast. We'll see in the next 5-10 years? Likely the tech will start to handle extreme weather better with innovations.

The tip over point when CA starts taxing by the mile will be unpleasant for EV owners. California is subsidizing adoption and will smack y’all with the door on the way out with mileage taxes.

oil companies are one of the largest tax payers in the state.

Back