EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

Have you considered the price of oil changes for 20 of your cars every few weeks? There's also that.
No, the only thing considered is how expensive the EV is up front while not knowing what the ICE patrol vehicle actually costs. Maintenance costs are not considered.

Reactions: Ws6
They are building a new highway in Florida that will charge electric cars while driving. Uses the same technology that phones use when using cordless chargers. If a city was to install these wireless charging stations and wireless charging roads , then an electric police vehicle could make sense.

I hear ya! Merry Christmas!!
Yeah, it began with me getting a flat, and $1500 later, I now have some new tires. From me, to me. Meh :(
1703248224124.jpg

They are building a new highway in Florida that will charge electric cars while driving. Uses the same technology that phones use when using cordless chargers. If a city was to install these wireless charging stations and wireless charging roads , then an electric police vehicle could make sense.
Induction charging, which also produces considerable amounts of heat. Of course the electricity isn't free, so I'm curious as to how they'll be billed, perhaps using a toll of some sort? Or the induction handshake will include the VIN, which will allow the owner to be billed for the kWh provided during their time on the road.

No, the only thing considered is how expensive the EV is up front while not knowing what the ICE patrol vehicle actually costs. Maintenance costs are not considered.
Nor knowing how much the EV maintenance will be, including EV resale value compared to ICE. I would expect an EV motor (if it wasnt replaced already one or two times) and a battery to have the resale in the toilet on an EV. It's a throw away car at a high price.
Just saying it's premature to know the maintenance cost and assume it will be lower on an EV when for an ICE it is already known vs unknown for EV.

I suspect by this time current battery technology will be old for this type of system. Also it sounds great but at what cost and how efficient would it be?
We cant maintain our roads now and we cant build power plants as it is in many parts of the country (not Florida) though it is true, the EV crowd will be paying a "toll" for its use.
It's a neat idea but I doubt it would ever become common place. We still are in the dark ages. A better technology will come along.

That one is going to wholly dependent on which one they bought. There’s good cars and bad cars across the board. One EV isn’t an example of the whole lot just as a Yugo wouldn’t paint the whole picture for ICE cars.
Excuse me? Wht is the problem with Yugo? I did competitive hill climb in it and it will still outlive Hyundai 2.4 or whatever engines that has rods trying to leave the block :).

Hopefully they learned something from that costly mistake. Having said that they're lucky it was only two vehicles.
One department with specific needs. Another department will vary. They might have had an agenda of leaving a car running for 24hrs with heat on. Does that really happen ? I could see a shift but lot 24 hrs.

Most EV on full charge don’t deplete much especially with heat at a bit lower level and person using heated seat . Also do those vehicles use heat pumps they picked or resistive heat?

Not sure Lighting or Cadillac was intended for that use case?

I am not for or against EV just more scientific based and police departments not known for scientific methods :)

Have you considered the price of oil changes for 20 of your cars every few weeks? There's also that.
Have you considered that there is more to expense than just filling vehicle, or for you, more to it than just 0-60?
Police departments are public institutions! They are financed from local taxes. Their budgets are ALWAYS tight, they are ALWAYS understaffed. Purchasing EV means also purchasing chargers which are expensive. It also means moving all your motor pool to know-how about EV’s. Or you can maintain them in local dealerships ($$$).
So, when PD makes decisions to drop out of EV, it is not only charging, BUT OVERALL cost of maintenance etc. on a budget that is super tight. Unless that PD gets huge grant+money for long term maintenance, bare bone pursuit Charger or Explorer are more cost effective option.
Yes, they don’t go 0-60 in 2,5875528 seconds, but they can go off the road and if they damage something, it won’t be $60,000 for battery.

Serious question. How does that play into "Global Warming?" I have to leave it at that unfortunately, not to break rules.
No real impact, we have massive amounts of waste heat being produced from all manner of things, it's nothing in the big scheme of things typically. It will however make the road surface and the vehicle warm in this situation, which may present a durability issue with the material, and the car will need to reject the heat from the process on its side as well.

I suspect the overall rate of charge in application will be low, it'll function more as a range booster than to keep you at a given state of charge or increase the charge level.

Like the idea of a solar road, there are many bad ideas that make it into production, so it will be interesting to see where this goes.

No real impact, we have massive amounts of waste heat being produced from all manner of things, it's nothing in the big scheme of things typically. It will however make the road surface and the vehicle warm in this situation, which may present a durability issue with the material, and the car will need to reject the heat from the process on its side as well.

I suspect the overall rate of charge in application will be low, it'll function more as a range booster than to keep you at a given state of charge or increase the charge level.

Like the idea of a solar road, there are many bad ideas that make it into production, so it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Thanks! Is there any long term dangers to people and animals like there is from living near high intensity power lines?

Thanks! Is there any long term dangers to people and animals like there is from living near high intensity power lines?
The electro-magnetic field could create dangerous interference, particularly at higher rates of charge, so that's something that will need to be very thoroughly investigated.

They are finding very high rates of prostate cancer and other prostate problems with aircrew, particularly bomber and fighter crews. Both types of aircraft have relatively high powered radars.

I don't think I'll choose to drive on any roads that provide induction charging. You can keep your E and H fields. My risk factors are already high enough.

Back