EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

Seems it's going well. Shame they didn't consult BITOG to learn how this isn't possible.

Wow. A whole year? Now that sets a standard, ummmm, no
Let’s see what the cost is from purchase to auction including getting banged up bottomed out making battery packs useless when thousands are in police departments, To think one tiny sampling over one year time frame is anything statistically significant is completely insane.

I’m not even saying that they won’t be cost efficient. I’m challenging the insignificant statistics that some in here are drawing conclusions from. It’s nUtS 🥜
Worse, laughable.

Got a love statements from public officials justifying their programs based on insignificant nondisclosed data

Last edited:
Wow. A whole year? Now that sets a standard, ummmm, no
Let’s see what the cost is from purchase to auction including getting banged up bottomed out making battery packs useless when thousands are in police departments, To think one tiny sampling over one year time frame is anything statistically significant is completely insane.

I’m not even saying that they won’t be cost efficient. I’m challenging the insignificant statistics that some in here are drawing conclusions from. It’s nUtS 🥜
Worse, laughable.

Got a love statements from public officials justifying their programs based on insignificant nondisclosed data
I’m even more confused by your aversion to the idea after this post. You want facts on how it’s going to work and what it’s going to cost long term and information is shown short term because that’s what is available. These test beds are underway and you don’t want to see adoption until we have long term numbers. Where do you think we’re going to get long term numbers? By buying more EVs to continue collecting data. The only numbers cited are the information we currently have. It’s limited for this exact use case.

The only circular logic here is your hard head. 😂

I mean that with all due respect. The information you desire isn’t possible without further testing and I’m gathering from your posts that you don’t even want initial purchases to be able to collect that data. The risk seems too high for future unknown costs to get data you desire to decide if it’s worth it in the first place. If that was how we treated all government programs requiring transportation we’d probably still be studying whether or not we should replace officer’s horses.

I really don’t know what is happening at that university, but university PD and local, city PD MUST have integration! If they don’t, that is astonishing negligence. That is NOT how 99% of university and city PD’s work. It is exception to the rule.
It was in Louisiana. And yes they had some integration, but the PD helped Uni, not the other way around unless it was on or involving university assets.

I’m even more confused by your aversion to the idea after this post. You want facts on how it’s going to work and what it’s going to cost long term and information is shown short term because that’s what is available. These test beds are underway and you don’t want to see adoption until we have long term numbers. Where do you think we’re going to get long term numbers? By buying more EVs to continue collecting data. The only numbers cited are the information we currently have. It’s limited for this exact use case.

I mean that with all due respect. The information you desire isn’t possible without further testing and I’m gathering from your posts that you don’t even want initial purchases to be able to collect that data. The risk seems too high for future unknown costs to get data you desire to decide if it’s worth it in the first place. If that was how we treated all government programs requiring transportation we’d probably still be studying whether or not we should replace officer’s horses.
People fear progress. Just imagine all those vulnerable oil pans skimming above pavement and debris during pursuit! Horrors!

Thank you, exactly. So we do not know if the police department has actually saved $80,000 which is what some posts is this thread is centered around based on the comments from the police department. We do not know the actual costs until all factors are calculated in, from purchase to auction. We will not know for some time and we can not assume they will be lower, the same or higher until complete data comes in.
Im not surprised at the pushback I am getting, I can think of what must be hundreds or thousands of public purchases and public works projects over my lifetime using taxpayer money, that sounds great to the masses and turns into an "oops" factor as the true costs weren't as "projected" by public officials who grandstanded on the project.

Last edited:
While not a PD, obviously, I have been 100% EV for the past year, and there is no way in hell I'm going back to a gasser. That's over 30K miles of EV driving, road trips, negative temps, ice and snow, 100*f, you name it.

While not a PD, obviously, I have been 100% EV for the past year, and there is no way in hell I'm going back to a gasser. That's over 30K miles of EV driving, road trips, negative temps, ice and snow, 100*f, you name it.
how long are your road trips?

They should do EV fire trucks next.... :devilish:
They're here! https://globalnews.ca/news/10147304/vancouver-electric-fire-truck/

It sounds like Vancouver will try this one out and see how it goes. One thing I wonder about is the comment that it will be a lot healthier because the firefighters won't have to breathe the diesel fumes. Do they really breathe a ton of diesel fumes? It would seem like they'd be outside or, if inside, not for long while the engine is running.

On a not very related note, I worked on a canary seed farm when I was about 20 - they had an old International Harvester 3-ton that was kept around solely as a rat killer. Compared to any of the other old farm vehicles this one had extremely noxious fumes and it was very good for flushing out the rats when you put a pipe down one of the holes. I think that's something no EV would be able to do!

They're here! https://globalnews.ca/news/10147304/vancouver-electric-fire-truck/

It sounds like Vancouver will try this one out and see how it goes. One thing I wonder about is the comment that it will be a lot healthier because the firefighters won't have to breathe the diesel fumes. Do they really breathe a ton of diesel fumes? It would seem like they'd be outside or, if inside, not for long while the engine is running.

On a not very related note, I worked on a canary seed farm when I was about 20 - they had an old International Harvester 3-ton that was kept around solely as a rat killer. Compared to any of the other old farm vehicles this one had extremely noxious fumes and it was very good for flushing out the rats when you put a pipe down one of the holes. I think that's something no EV would be able to do!
If you work any industry that burns a lot of diesel you tend to become very aware of it. I hate running through tunnels with trains. It's just not possible to go through a long tunnel on a hill that requires full throttle and not have your chest hurt by the time you make it to the other side. The cabs aren't sealed well enough. If they spend a lot of time idling outside the truck it's definitely a concern, even more so if it's in tight areas between buildings.

That is not that long. That is daily drive, even if you take plenty of time.
I don't know what you do for travel, but that's definitely on the extreme end. If you do that more than once a month you have a lot more free time than me.

I don't know what you do for travel, but that's definitely on the extreme end. If you do that more than once a month you have a lot more free time than me.
Road trip is 2000 miles. I did one this year 4,200 miles, another 2,300.
300? I ski twice a week where i rack up 300 daily there and back.

Back