EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

The electro-magnetic field could create dangerous interference, particularly at higher rates of charge, so that's something that will need to be very thoroughly investigated.

They are finding very high rates of prostate cancer and other prostate problems with aircrew, particularly bomber and fighter crews. Both types of aircraft have relatively high powered radars.

I don't think I'll choose to drive on any roads that provide induction charging. You can keep your E and H fields. My risk factors are already high enough.
Thanks! I asked this question for a reason, I had a pretty good idea of the answer, although I don't have the knowledge you guys have. I assumed there would be a problem. It seems sometimes to achieve a goal some people shoot first and ask questions later. My fear is this will be the case with going all electric too, and if/when cancer spikes they'll figure out what/something else to blame it on. I wonder if sitting over a big battery for long periods of time can be a problem? That's something I don't know, but have a feeling it might be problematic.

Excuse me? Wht is the problem with Yugo? I did competitive hill climb in it and it will still outlive Hyundai 2.4 or whatever engines that has rods trying to leave the block :).
For you that might have been a poor example then. 🤣

Nor knowing how much the EV maintenance will be, including EV resale value compared to ICE. I would expect an EV motor (if it wasnt replaced already one or two times) and a battery to have the resale in the toilet on an EV. It's a throw away car at a high price.
Just saying it's premature to know the maintenance cost and assume it will be lower on an EV when for an ICE it is already known vs unknown for EV.
With a drivetrain warrantly 2-3x longer than an ICE vehicle, but that's never considered either. I'm specifically referencing required basic scheduled maintenance. Warranty should cover anything outside required maintenance regardless of what it's powered by. It's not a "you're on your own" situation once you leave the lot. At least no car I've ever bought has been when it was purchased new. Extreme example but my scheduled maintenance on my ICE vehicle was near $1k this year. My EV was $5 if you included the cost of the washer fluid I added to it.

Does the department actually consider resale value? They're driven into the ground and then sold at auction here. They aren't worth more than a few grand at the end of the whole thing.

Throw away car at a high price? So are the Fords that my local department is buying. 😂

With a drivetrain warrantly 2-3x longer than an ICE vehicle, but that's never considered either. I'm specifically referencing required basic scheduled …it.

Does the department actually consider resale value? They're driven into the ground and then sold at auction here. They aren't worth more than a few grand at the end of the whole thing.
1. What is the warranty on these EV police vehicles??

2. It’s not a matter If the department considers resale values, you made a statement to lead one to believe an electric emergency vehicle is more cost-efficient.

3. I’m just looking for numbers and I don’t think any are out there just yet.
The engines in ordinary, consumer electric vehicles seem to burn out faster than the batteries
A vehicle with the ICE is able to be auctioned off and you see them on the road all the time with the same engine.

Specialized police EV vehicle will be worth scrap, if assuming a recycling program is in effect.

The mentioned thousand dollar maintenance schedule on your ice car is out of whack compared to a lot of other vehicles.
It’s a known fact that some electric vehicles are breaking down at a faster rate than gasoline

I don’t even think I spend $150 a year on average for the maintenance of my traverse SUV.
Irrelevant to a government vehicle I am quite certain if I have a large electric vehicle the size of my traverse SUV I would be paying more than $500 a year for insurance.

Just playing devils advocate here. Let’s not single out the cost of one aspect of an emergency electric vehicle as that is very misleading. Let’s take the cost of the complete package from purchase to resale and maintenance and breakdowns in between, the actual cost to the taxpayer per vehicle, anything else almost sounds agenda driven that is not based on reality.

Last edited:
what is the warranty on these EV police vehicles??
It’s not a matter. If the department considers, resale values, you made a statement to lead one to believe an electric emergency vehicle is more cost-efficient.

I’m just looking for numbers and I don’t think any or out there just yet.
The engines in ordinary, consumer electric vehicles seem to burn out faster than the batteries
A vehicle with the ICE is able to be auctioned off and you see them on the road all the time

Specialized police EV vehicle will be worth scrap, if assuming a recycling program is in effect
They've been more cost efficient at the civilian level. Why would I assume they'll instantly get more expensive in the public sector? If the car is worth scrap instead of $3k at the end, does that make up for the $20k in fuel?

We're both doing way too much ASSuming. 🤣

They've been more cost efficient at the civilian level. Why would I assume they'll instantly get more expensive in the public sector? If the car is worth scrap instead of $3k at the end, does that make up for the $20k in fuel?

We're both doing way too much ASSuming. 🤣
I’m really not assuming anything I just want to know the numbers to back up a statement.
I seem to read electric motors in these cars burning out at times. If this is an emergency vehicle is a manufacturer going to put a new engine in for free or is the taxpayer going to put the engine in?

Stuff like that we will never know the numbers for another decade because even if they’re not good some will ignore it in the beginning as public officials are grandstanding and tripping over themselves, promoting this electric vehicle culture to their constituents as a way of saving money

I’m really not assuming anything I just want to know the numbers to back up a statement.
I seem to read electric motors in these cars burning out at times. If this is an emergency vehicle is a manufacturer going to put a new engine in for free or is the taxpayer going to put the engine in?
Stuff like that we will never know the numbers for another decade because even if they’re not good some will ignore it in the beginning as public officials or grandstanding, and tripping over themselves, promoting this electric vehicle culture to their constituents as a way of saving money
Why wouldn't that be covered under warranty? What are we assuming the cost is? How much is it to put a new EcoBoost in an Explorer? We can what if it to death. The ICE vehicle is also going to burn as much as $5k in fuel a year too.

Why wouldn't that be covered under warranty? What are we assuming the cost is? How much is it to put a new EcoBoost in an Explorer? We can what if it to death. The ICE vehicle is also going to burn as much as $5k in fuel a year too.
I didn’t bring up the subject. I’m just looking for some type of cost analysis versus an ice vehicle which we will not have for a long time so I think it’s premature to make statements saying the electric vehicle will end up being less cost to the taxpayer.

Many large Police Departments don't use "plan Jane" vehicles. The (Explorer) Police Interceptor has considerable upgrades for Police use. It's the very small town Police Departments that don't buy up-fitted vehicles.
This thread is about emergency electric vehicles, so let me rephrase my words, plain Jane police vehicles

I didn’t bring up the subject. I’m just looking for some type of cost analysis versus an ice vehicle which we will not have for a long time so I think it’s premature to make statements saying the electric vehicle will end up being less cost to the taxpayer.
It's also extremely presumptuous that it'll cost more to operate with less cost to power and nearly no scheduled maintenance. That's why I said we're both assuming many things. No one is replacing these all tomorrow so we'll find out as it goes on. It's not going to be possible to simulate any of this so as it sees adoption we'll have answers. What I do know is assuming it won't work so not trying it at all is completely backward thinking. We better figure it out sooner rather than later if anyone actually believes ICE will ever get banned.

Have you considered that there is more to expense than just filling vehicle, or for you, more to it than just 0-60?
Police departments are public institutions! They are financed from local taxes. Their budgets are ALWAYS tight, they are ALWAYS understaffed. Purchasing EV means also purchasing chargers which are expensive. It also means moving all your motor pool to know-how about EV’s. Or you can maintain them in local dealerships ($$$).
So, when PD makes decisions to drop out of EV, it is not only charging, BUT OVERALL cost of maintenance etc. on a budget that is super tight. Unless that PD gets huge grant+money for long term maintenance, bare bone pursuit Charger or Explorer are more cost effective option.
Yes, they don’t go 0-60 in 2,5875528 seconds, but they can go off the road and if they damage something, it won’t be $60,000 for battery.
I bet none of these departments even considered this or made budget projections.

^^Questions about overall range and whether it's a good idea for patrol/pursuit and continuous operation.....we shall see.
I bet they can tailor the hardware and software...they're smart.

It seems to me the step of monitoring fleets of EVs was skipped over.
I realize I'm not entitled to corporately gathered data property but all the news is about fires. I suppose publishing assessed data could box EV manufacturers into a narrow slice of the car market and simply scare people.
Mom and Pop Teslas are their own fleet, I suppose.

They seem to be doing fine as cop cars across the globe - this is hardly new.
Cops have exclusive access to chargers built for them.

The delta in range is much slimmer than it appear at first blush because according to fords police data - the ICE cop cars idle high powering lights ac/ radios,. screen/ computers etcetera at the rate 33 MPH delivering zero miles per gallon doing so.

There are very few high speed pursuits, and these cars spent a disproportionate amount of time idling - at task in which the EV excels with enough staying power for days.

Rather than the usual suspects making their theoretical case that EVs in law enforcement use are a bad idea, let's see some more progressive departments trying them out and seeing how they compare with ICE vehicles in actual use.
It should be noted that most EV owners have been very pleased with the operating costs of their cars.

Trust me they did. That EV was probably grant money for that specific purpose, so why not?
Once they figured all costs they dumped it.
Smaller departments operating in civil forfeiture areas can probably steal enough Teslas to make it a viable option, so that needs accounted for too.

Thanks! I asked this question for a reason, I had a pretty good idea of the answer, although I don't have the knowledge you guys have. I assumed there would be a problem. It seems sometimes to achieve a goal some people shoot first and ask questions later. My fear is this will be the case with going all electric too, and if/when cancer spikes they'll figure out what/something else to blame it on. I wonder if sitting over a big battery for long periods of time can be a problem? That's something I don't know, but have a feeling it might be problematic.

Absolutely!

Back