EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

You're going to have to cite this source including which vehicle it is. We have regular -20F temperatures and we have an EV. Again none of this is one size fits all like so many think it needs to be. Someone always comes up with some extreme example to say why something else shouldn't ever be considered.

Driving an EV isn't all that different than driving an ICE vehicle well more than 98% of the time, yet we get responses like this. Your ground clearance snow situation has nothing to do with it being an EV. There are higher clearance EVs. Your situation is the exception, not the norm.
One thing that IS different is that if you don't have the ability to precondition or heat the battery, it will be notably slower in the cold especially at low SoC. For example my GT at a low SoC (30%?) has clocked as s low as low 4's 0-60 when it was in the 20's and it was cold soaked. A turbo ICE vehicle would LOVE that weather. IT's what led to me getting inched on by an X3M once, lol! The DA was in the negatives and it was 32*f out and I was at 50% SoC or so. Those normally trap 114-116mph, and I normally trap 120+, so the difference is notable.

I get around 200mi in 20 minutes. I mean, it's a GM. It's not going to be cutting edge. Other PD' use better EV's that charge faster. As to idling, EV can idle a LOOOONNNNG time, lol, think days. It's got a 70-100kw battery. Most homes use about 100kw in 3 days running a comparatively huge HVAC, stove, etc
Even if your specs were believable - 200miles in 20 minutes, a decent cruiser can easily get 300+ miles of mixed driving at a gas station in 5 minutes - so that's still 6X more efficient for the ICE cruiser. Not to mention if you are constantly charging at that rate you will kill your battery in short order.

I was going by the stated specs of 73 miles in 10 minutes with a 190KW charger under ideal conditions. If you have other data for this vehicle feel free to post a link.

We cannot debate or discuss this with her as she's not here, but I will keep an eye out for when we hit -20ish this year here, IF we get that cold, and make notes. I am not at all saying she's incorrect, though, or that you are lying, as -20 hits way different from 0, so I presume -55 does the same with -20, so to speak. EV's are not the answer for everyone, everywhere, all the time, just like gas cars absolutely suck for people like me, I am sure EV's do the same for others, and it sounds like your sister's use case is one of them. I don't see why people want to take extreme circumstances and then paint it with a broad brush.

This is about Police vehicles going EV, is it not?

For officers here this is not extreme, just another winter day on duty.

Even if your specs were believable - 200miles in 20 minutes, a decent cruiser can easily get 300+ miles of mixed driving at a gas station in 5 minutes - so that's still 6X more efficient for the ICE cruiser. Not to mention if you are constantly charging at that rate you will kill your battery in short order.

I was going by the stated specs of 73 miles in 10 minutes with a 190KW charger under ideal conditions. If you have other data for this vehicle feel free to post a link.
My quote is what my EV gets. Not all police buy slow charging EVs.

This thread is about a 2024 Chevy Blazer PPV. Those were the specs I quoted. So how is your EV charge time even relevant to this discussion?

How many police cruisers do you see that are approximately the size of a Honda Fit in the USA? Maybe works in Australia. I have never seen a police vehicle that small here.

No police “buy” fast charging EVs, or anything else they “purchase”. They pick them up on the taxpayer (and revenue-payer) dime.

This thread is about a 2024 Chevy Blazer PPV. Those were the specs I quoted. So how is your EV charge time even relevant to this discussion?

How many police cruisers do you see that are approximately the size of a Honda Fit in the USA? Maybe works in Australia. I have never seen a police vehicle that small here.

Seems its fine stateside. Also, what are you talking about?
Screenshot_20231217-235700_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
They are, we have them all over around here in the midwest. They look awkward to me though, and are super slow, so I have not looked into them at all as there is zero appeal to me.
I haven't seen one yet. A friend of my brother, my brother now lives in Florida, bought one. The hype as my brother said lead his friend down that path. He thought he could tow with it. He learned in short order the truck was pretty much useless with very little range, he ended up taking a tremendous loss and went back to ICE for good as my brother said.

Seems its fine stateside. Also, what are you talking about?
View attachment 193555
I was talking about the Blazer EPV PPV that this thread is about. Your the one replying to my threads about said vehicles specs that they were wrong, except your using specs for another vehicle?

Now you want to talk about the Pasadena PD using model 3's. They patrol a city that is 21 square miles.

You just want to troll, not have an adult conversation about cars.

1702895913131.png

I was talking about the Blazer EPV PPV that this thread is about. Your the one replying to my threads about said vehicles specs that they were wrong, except your using specs for another vehicle?

Now you want to talk about the Pasadena PD using model 3's. They patrol a city that is 21 square miles.

View attachment 193559
Title: EV Police Pursuit Vehicles.
My posts: all various police pursuit vehicles, EV.
You: Not THOSE!!!!

Better battery technology exists. Lithium titanate batteries (LTO) seem to have it all (fast charging, cold weather performance, safety... etc). I bought some used cells to use as a 12v car battery (https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...a-size-51r-went-from-435cca-to-1764cca.362957)

even used, it has plenty of life and juice (quadrupled my CCA)
1702906812014.png

The issue is we don't want to be dependant on another country for the technology. It's been used in electric buses in China for 7 years now and in electric buses in the UAE for the last 3 years.

Statistics show that in new energy buses, the market share of lithium titanate batteries is about 3%, which is far lower than the 88% market share of lithium iron phosphate batteries. In the field of passenger vehicles, lithium titanate batteries, together with other minority technologies, share 3% of the market space.
Source: https://www.tycorun.com/blogs/news/lithium-titanate-battery

China is currently testing it in mining:
LTO batteries are uniquely suitable for applications requiring high-rate fast charging and discharging.

An LTO battery system was constructed and implemented to realize the first advanced lithium-ion battery-based hybrid-electric heavy-duty vehicle, a hybrid-electric mining truck with vehicle mass 34 ton and maximum load 60 ton. Field operation tests of the hybrid-electric vehicle suggest that the performance of the LTO battery system meet the design expectations. After analyzing operation parameters of the hybrid-electric heavy-duty vehicle, we found 54.9 % fuel savings compared to conventional diesel-powered truck of the same mass and load.
Source: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S2352152X23027111

UAE buses:
After getting recharged in just 20 minutes, Yinlong LTO city bus works smoothly in extremely harsh conditions and readily adapts to the harsh weather conditions in Abu Dhabi. In summer in 2020, Yinlong electric city bus successfully went through a three-month trial operation, fully demonstrating its high reliability even though the temperature rose to 55℃. In addition, the bus passed a series of stringent tests, showcasing its high safety standards.
Source: https://m.chinabuses.org/news/12314.html

Statistics showed that the rate of battery-caused accident is zero of all the Yinlong buses that carried Yinlong LTO batteries and that had been sold to the market. It was said by Chen Qingquan, an academia of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, that “after years of practice, Yinlong LTO batteries proved to be the safest battery of all in the lithium battery area at present.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Ws6
Before responding I called my sister to make sure that what i type is correct.
It wasn't 1 ev, it was 2.
A Cadillac lyric, and Ford Lightning.
One of the tests they did with them, was to park them outside when -45, and leave the heater on in them.
They both used about 75% of their battery up in 24 hours, despite not being driven, just parked in the parking lot.
Wonder what would happen at -55.
My sister did a shift in each, was astonished how fast the battery discharged driving in snow, and just keeping it warm.
In her own words, ' Many times I get sent to remote places, on unplowed roads, and then my vehicle has to idle for 8 or 10 hours, and still make it back, neither of them could do it even if leaving with a full charge'.
I am actually surprised it only used 75% in 24 hours.

Idling with AC and heat should be a job for hybrid. Our Prius did perfectly with that.

View attachment 193559

This actually brings up a good point about EV municipal vehicles like school bus, fire truck, police car, etc.

There are some tremendously small municipals that you can practically just park your vehicle all day and it would still be ok to reach your location in an emergency in 5 mins. For them they don't need a vehicle that last 30 days worth of fuel in a tank.

I am actually surprised it only used 75% in 24 hours.

Idling with AC and heat should be a job for hybrid. Our Prius did perfectly with that.

It's still technically using a lot less energy. It's an efficiency thing though. ICE is just using waste heat, meaning the amount of energy used to do so is well beyond the EV doing the same. The difference is for most EVs the total capacity is equivalent to less than 3 gallons of fuel.

It definitely uses a decent amount of power. I've never seen it use remotely close to that, but then again the car warms in a closed garage while on the charger and then is driven after that. I'm not sitting for hours at a time with the heat on. I won't even do that with my ICE car either. Waste of fuel for my purpose since I don't need to for my use.

I think the take away here is a one size fits all doesnt exist. Some vehicle fleets with city use, might be better with an ev, while more suburban or rural areas might do better with a mixed fleet. Proper understanding of usage data and vehicle performance analysis can yield efficiencies that were not once there.

View attachment 193559
This sounds like a good fit for EVs. My town is small and would be fine too. I don't think anyone is blanket saying Chicago and LA should be in all EVs. The all or nothing approach to anything is always flawed.

Back