EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

There are reasons for or against EV's - but even the EV proponents acknowledge that the biggest benefit is you can charge your car for cheap at home or work while its sitting.

An EV makes zero sense for a police vehicle being used all day. The officer can fuel his cruiser in 5 minutes. Even a fast charger is going to take what - 45 minutes at best.

Solution in search of a problem, IMHO.

Lately, it feels like I've been seeing a lot of things done just for show (ex: reusable bags, bad recycling programs)

Many in my area drive EVs because they feel it's better of the environment.

Many also have a negative image of the police.

Buying a few would be an easy sell to help improve image.

"be visible to the public" was a line used in a promotional video I recently heard

For as many people that would think it was cool, just as many would think it was stupid. EV's are polarizing.

you're right, just as many would think it's stupid but not stupid enough to change their view on the police which this crowd most likely already supports

so the goal is still realized

There are reasons for or against EV's - but even the EV proponents acknowledge that the biggest benefit is you can charge your car for cheap at home or work while its sitting.

An EV makes zero sense for a police vehicle being used all day. The officer can fuel his cruiser in 5 minutes. Even a fast charger is going to take what - 45 minutes at best.

Solution in search of a problem, IMHO.
No it doesnt. 20 minutes. Also, it will cut down a ton on fleet maintenance costs as well as fuel wasted idling. Of note, Ive never heard of a PD dumping EVs...only buying them. Been seeing it for years.

DC fast charging is going to be the future controversy.
30 minutes. That’s either a paid nap or a forced unpaid break.
Nobody thinks about an officer filing an ICE because it’s 5 minutes. Now it’s 30 minutes and fully automated.
Thanks to payment systems and infrastructure he’ll be doing it away from the precinct.
They’re working deputies 16 hour shifts often here. A 30 minute paid nap will make these very popular.

No it doesnt. 20 minutes. Also, it will cut down a ton on fleet maintenance costs as well as fuel wasted idling. Of note, Ive never heard of a PD dumping EVs...only buying them. Been seeing it for years.
I don't believe that is correct. According to the EV forum, this thing will get 78 miles of range in 10 minutes with a 190KW DC fast charger. 78 miles isn't very far. I presume that is the sweet spot of the charging curve so how much range do you get in 20 minutes. Its not double. Maybe 130 miles? Also this doesn't include pulling in, plugging in, etc. It also assumes there is a level 2 DC fast charger readily available. I don't think this thing will do a level 3 charge?

So lets say 22 minutes gets you 130 miles of range in ideal conditions.

Vs 300+ miles of range and forever idling in 5 minutes at a gas station.

Still inefficient by a factor of 10.

Put charging stations at doughnut shops and the charging problem goes away. J/K, it was low hanging fruit and somebody had to do it.

I would say Step 1 would be for departments to pay lease payments for personal EVs for a select number of patrol officers that drive ICE vehicles in their normal duties. In return, those officers would provide detailed reviews on the capabilities and limitations of said EV vehicles if they were used in a patrol capacity. Then, if the reviews were positive, for Step 2 the departments could buy a limited number of EVs for patrol duties.
Then the evaluation would be simple. Just look at which patrol officers get assigned the in service EVs. If it's officers with seniority, EV usage could be rated as successful. If it's rookies that routinely get stuck with the EVs, then regardless of what anyone says, the experiment is a failure and they should go back to ICE. Otherwise, politics would influence the reviews and departments could get stuck with a fleet of vehicles that can't do the job.

I don't believe that is correct. According to the EV forum, this thing will get 78 miles of range in 10 minutes with a 190KW DC fast charger. 78 miles isn't very far. I presume that is the sweet spot of the charging curve so how much range do you get in 20 minutes. Its not double. Maybe 130 miles? Also this doesn't include pulling in, plugging in, etc. It also assumes there is a level 2 DC fast charger readily available. I don't think this thing will do a level 3 charge?

So lets say 22 minutes gets you 130 miles of range in ideal conditions.

Vs 300+ miles of range and forever idling in 5 minutes at a gas station.

Still inefficient by a factor of 10.

I get around 200mi in 20 minutes. I mean, it's a GM. It's not going to be cutting edge. Other PD' use better EV's that charge faster. As to idling, EV can idle a LOOOONNNNG time, lol, think days. It's got a 70-100kw battery. Most homes use about 100kw in 3 days running a comparatively huge HVAC, stove, etc

I get around 200mi in 20 minutes. I mean, it's a GM. It's not going to be cutting edge. Other PD' use better EV's that charge faster. As to idling, EV can idle a LOOOONNNNG time, lol, think days. It's got a 70-100kw battery. Most homes use about 100kw in 3 days running a comparatively huge HVAC, stove, etc
It's really hard to get people to understand that the amount of power used "idling" isn't near the same as burning fuel idling an engine.

They bought one for the local police, it was gone just months later, deemed impractical.
They asked every local officer to try it for a shift and give them feedback. But the feedback was so bad, it was sold off before ever officer even got a shift in it. My sister did do a shift in it, said 'It's pathetic '.

Good point, but you meant kWhrs, in 3 days, not kW.

They bought one for the local police, it was gone just months later, deemed impractical.
They asked every local officer to try it for a shift and give them feedback. But the feedback was so bad, it was sold off before ever officer even got a shift in it. My sister did do a shift in it, said 'It's pathetic '.
That one is going to wholly dependent on which one they bought. There’s good cars and bad cars across the board. One EV isn’t an example of the whole lot just as a Yugo wouldn’t paint the whole picture for ICE cars.

On a cold day an EV here will use 75% of its battery just heating the car. That is a fact, not some made up number from an ev maker who wants to sell them, so lies. Now drive it in deep snow, and see how far the range is on that cold day.
We have remote areas all around us, unserviced by electric grid at all, much less ev chargers.
So it might work in some areas, but universally switching police vehicles over to ev makes no sense at all.
Many of our police vehicles are F250 trucks, or full size SUV. The typical 'cop car' stays in the city, and hopes that the plow trucks don't get too far behind, because they don't work when the road is more than knee deep in snow, which is a regular occurence. Last winter alone, I drove down the road I live on more than 25 days, when snow was above my knees, and I'm 6'3" tall. Chaining up the logging truck to get home, and leave again the next morning is a typical winter day, despite it being a tall ground clearance 49X built for off road use.
Lets see an ev cop car make it to my house for a call, much less somewhere remote.

On a cold day an EV here will use 75% of its battery just heating the car. That is a fact, not some made up number from an ev maker who wants to sell them, so lies. Now drive it in deep snow, and see how far the range is on that cold day.
We have remote areas all around us, unserviced by electric grid at all, much less ev chargers.
So it might work in some areas, but universally switching police vehicles over to ev makes no sense at all.
Many of our police vehicles are F250 trucks, or full size SUV. The typical 'cop car' stays in the city, and hopes that the plow trucks don't get too far behind, because they don't work when the road is more than knee deep in snow, which is a regular occurence. Last winter alone, I drove down the road I live on more than 25 days, when snow was above my knees, and I'm 6'3" tall. Chaining up the logging truck to get home, and leave again the next morning is a typical winter day, despite it being a tall ground clearance 49X built for off road use.
Lets see an ev cop car make it to my house for a call, much less somewhere remote.
You're going to have to cite this source including which vehicle it is. We have regular -20F temperatures and we have an EV. Again none of this is one size fits all like so many think it needs to be. Someone always comes up with some extreme example to say why something else shouldn't ever be considered.

Driving an EV isn't all that different than driving an ICE vehicle well more than 98% of the time, yet we get responses like this. Your ground clearance snow situation has nothing to do with it being an EV. There are higher clearance EVs. Your situation is the exception, not the norm.

Before responding I called my sister to make sure that what i type is correct.
It wasn't 1 ev, it was 2.
A Cadillac lyric, and Ford Lightning.
One of the tests they did with them, was to park them outside when -45, and leave the heater on in them.
They both used about 75% of their battery up in 24 hours, despite not being driven, just parked in the parking lot.
Wonder what would happen at -55.
My sister did a shift in each, was astonished how fast the battery discharged driving in snow, and just keeping it warm.
In her own words, ' Many times I get sent to remote places, on unplowed roads, and then my vehicle has to idle for 8 or 10 hours, and still make it back, neither of them could do it even if leaving with a full charge'.

One of the tests they did with them, was to park them outside when -45, and leave the heater on in them.
They both used about 75% of their battery up in 24 hours, despite not being driven, just parked in the parking lot.
My sister did a shift in each, was astonished how fast the battery discharged driving in snow, and just keeping it warm.
In her own words, ' Many times I get sent to remote places, on unplowed roads, and then my vehicle has to idle for 8 or 10 hours, and still make it back, neither of them could do it even if leaving with a full charge'.
Hopefully they learned something from that costly mistake. Having said that they're lucky it was only two vehicles.

The Lightning has been a well documented disaster. I've never seen a Lyric. I didn't know they were out.

We cannot debate or discuss this with her as she's not here, but I will keep an eye out for when we hit -20ish this year here, IF we get that cold, and make notes. I am not at all saying she's incorrect, though, or that you are lying, as -20 hits way different from 0, so I presume -55 does the same with -20, so to speak. EV's are not the answer for everyone, everywhere, all the time, just like gas cars absolutely suck for people like me, I am sure EV's do the same for others, and it sounds like your sister's use case is one of them. I don't see why people want to take extreme circumstances and then paint it with a broad brush.

The Lightning has been a well documented disaster. I've never seen a Lyric. I didn't know they were out.
They are, we have them all over around here in the midwest. They look awkward to me though, and are super slow, so I have not looked into them at all as there is zero appeal to me.

Back