EV Police Pursuit Vehicles

I'm curious About how much electrical load there is in a police car vs a street car. They have computers, lights, flashing lights,radios, need to run A/C in summer, heat in the winter, even when sitting.
Even sitting during patrol, it's using a fair amount of current.

How much of that affects overall range?
I can actually see EV's work for detectives and maybe city business cars, but for patrol/pursuit vehicles, is it really a good idea?

I’m not sure, but there’s a “protected idle” mode that runs the ancillaries for 20-50 hours.

The real problem is that all the "Plain Jane" options have gone away, especially with the demise of the Charger.
Read an article the other day about one of the counties close to me that ordered four new Explorer SUV's, only to be told after the fact by Ford that the order would not be honored.
They ended up purchasing four Dodge Durangoes from a dealer out of state that had them on hand.
While the article that I read did not specifically state the cost, the tone of the article was that they would be higher than the Explorers.
In the article, a Sheriff department rep stated that the last time they bought multiple cruisers, they were Chevy Impalas, that were about 37K each upfitted.
The Explorers were bid upfitted at over 89K each.
Plain Jane is dead.
Good point in that case but even then, one can imagine how much a limited use EV police cruiser would cost.

Many large Police Departments don't use "plan Jane" vehicles. The (Explorer) Police Interceptor has considerable upgrades for Police use. It's the very small town Police Departments that don't buy up-fitted vehicles.
I should have made clear and used the words "Plain Jane ICE Police Cruiser" will be much cheaper then a limited use "Plain Jane Electric Police Cruiser"

I see my post confused some. I assumed since we were in a police cruiser thread, my brain said "plain Jane" = ICE

So drive something that does 131 MPH, or has more range, and get away. At high speeds an EV has a very short range, those batteries don't last long when asked to put out a lot of juice.

So drive something that does 131 MPH, or has more range, and get away. At high speeds an EV has a very short range, those batteries don't last long when asked to put out a lot of juice.
Neither do gas vehicles. WOT you're getting maybe 100mi or so in a v8 sports car. Similar for EV. Gas tanks average 15gal or so. At 150mph you're not getting any 10mpg even, lol! When I tracked c6 Corvette, average mpg was 2-4 on track, for an equivalent range on a 20gal tank of about 60mi. On track consumption for an ev6 GT around the 'Ring is around 130kw, or equivalent to 50mi range. They're very similar in range when you flog them.

Also...where was this "drive 131" when the crown vic gets worshipped?
The rear diffs with 3.27s are limited to 130mph and 3.55s 124.

Last edited:
Where does anyone think that the battery would be depleted in a shift? There definitely wouldn't be a problem here even with additional systems a police car uses. A hot pursuit isn't even a daily occurance and even if it was like @Ws6 mentioned, it doesn't instantly kill all range. Sitting still running the needed systems is still going to be more efficient than sitting idling in an ICE car.

I'm not sure how a car sitting running for 12+ hours would be a better option.

Did you see the Hyundai that was totaled over a scratch on the floor pan? If you don’t think that is fragile your head needs to be examined.
Like I said in that thread, the problem was the company and their angle. Not that it was an EV, but go off man.

Lets send a memo to all criminals, telling them to make sure they do no crime between 08:00 and 16:00 hours, while they charge up the cruisers.
I mentioned this thread to my sister when she called a while ago, she had a good laugh. I asked her how it was going to work when she was sent out on a long call. Keeping the inside warm for 15 hours on a -50 day should be fun, and I wonder what the range is pushing 50 cms of snow.

Like I said in that thread, the problem was the company and their angle. Not that it was an EV, but go off man.
But go off man? Nobody’s going off except you.
Factually it WAS because it was an EV. They told the owner the vehicle was not safe because of the battery damage. An ice powered Santa Fe is not deemed unsafe from a scratch on the rocker of similar magnitude.

The simple fact is that LEO do not have hours to wait to ”refuel” a pursuit vehicle, they are not currently a viable alternative for pursuit vehicles.

But go off man? Nobody’s going off except you.
Factually it WAS because it was an EV. They told the owner the vehicle was not safe because of the battery damage. An ice powered Santa Fe is not deemed unsafe from a scratch on the rocker of similar magnitude.

The simple fact is that LEO do not have hours to wait to ”refuel” a pursuit vehicle, they are not currently a viable alternative for pursuit vehicles.
I don't know what I did that went off, but you're making some strong assumptions. It's obviously an Hyundai issue and not an EV issue or we'd be hearing this all time. It sounds like a bad take and an overreaction on the dealer's part. Have you ran into any bad dealers before? I have.

You must be an expert on LEO vehicle usage. They wouldn't be being considered unless they had something in mind. We aren't experts on the matter and some of us here seem to be determined to know it all. There must be some form of downtime planned if they're even considering it. I don't know what the rotation and down time on squad cars are, but there are already some police forces using them.

Did you see the Hyundai that was totaled over a scratch on the floor pan? If you don’t think that is fragile your head needs to be examined.
If you think anything was actually wrong with the car, I have some ocean front property in Oklahoma that I might could sell you.

I'm curious About how much electrical load there is in a police car vs a street car. They have computers, lights, flashing lights,radios, need to run A/C in summer, heat in the winter, even when sitting.
Even sitting during patrol, it's using a fair amount of current.

How much of that affects overall range?
I can actually see EV's work for detectives and maybe city business cars, but for patrol/pursuit vehicles, is it really a good idea?
You will tow around a trailer with a diesel generator to keep you going. When in pursuit you will eject it - much like the space shuttle used to eject their fuel tank once in flight.

There are reasons for or against EV's - but even the EV proponents acknowledge that the biggest benefit is you can charge your car for cheap at home or work while its sitting.

An EV makes zero sense for a police vehicle being used all day. The officer can fuel his cruiser in 5 minutes. Even a fast charger is going to take what - 45 minutes at best.

Solution in search of a problem, IMHO.

Back