Epidemic of bad paint on new vehicles?

Yeah, there are a lot of new technologies coming out based on inkjet-like deposition research.

I tried to find more info but I believe the Germans are now using powdered clear in the factory. Or, they were 23 years ago when this article was written. One of the benefits is more equal deposition on horizontal and vertical panels, which makes me wonder if this is what everyone is doing now or not. My older Mazda has horrific orange peel on the doors and very little on the hood, roof, etc.

I toured the BMW factory in Munich in 2016. The factory was using powdered clear coat at that time.

What about it is terrible? I got my 2021 M2 without dealer prep and had zero flaws. Perfect panel matching and uniformity. Didn't need any correction. The orange peel is normal.
Orange peel all along the sides. The top surfaces are fine. You have been fed the BS to believe orange peel is acceptable in a paint job.

Orange peel all along the sides. The top surfaces are fine. You have been fed the BS to believe orange peel is acceptable in a paint job.
Mine is identical on every panel. It is acceptable and normal. Every car including Ferraris have similar amounts. You can believe your 1990 paint is better if orange peel is your only metric, but you’re wrong.

I have worked in multiple GM plants and, to be honest, the paint is poor. The last plant, Arlington where I just retired, has a brand new paint shop and still no real improvement in the paint. The #1 problem (and has alway been since the 90's switch to water borne paint processes) is ENVIRONMENTAL. The older paints of years gone by were easier to use and dried uniform as well as other nice "quality" attributes. The the EPA came in and paints suffered terribly in it's ability to spray uniform and dry well while meeting tough EPA laws.
This was a big problem for Chrysler back in the 90s. They went to a new water based primer that over time sun UV exposure would break it down and the paint and clear would flake off. There were unsuccessful attempts to class action this, so the only moderately successful tactic was to sue them in small claims court. They usually would come to some sort of compromise prior to suit being heard. I had a 93 Grand Cherokee and wound up going the small claims route. I wound up losing even though I caught them exaggerating a ‘settlement’ they offered where I had already gotten an estimate from dealer to repaint. Chrysler was going to graciously give me a ‘discount’ they said to fix it, then I pulled the statement from the dealer body shop which was less. Judge ruled for them.

Mine is identical on every panel. It is acceptable and normal. Every car including Ferraris have similar amounts. You can believe your 1990 paint is better if orange peel is your only metric, but you’re wrong.
You are missing my earlier points and in no way did I ever say 90's paint was better. We have been forced to accept orange peel as acceptable when it really should not be. I have over 30 yrs of paint experience in automotive assembly plants as well as my own repair shop. I will say todays paints are more durable for sure but orange peel was never an issue in the old days so to speak - yeah they peeled off, faded, cracked etc - but they were smooth and that was my only point. Orange peel is a byproduct of EPA standards and automakers cutting costs. Hopefully we can agree on that.

You are missing my earlier points and in no way did I ever say 90's paint was better. We have been forced to accept orange peel as acceptable when it really should not be. I have over 30 yrs of paint experience in automotive assembly plants as well as my own repair shop. I will say todays paints are more durable for sure but orange peel was never an issue in the old days so to speak - yeah they peeled off, faded, cracked etc - but they were smooth and that was my only point. Orange peel is a byproduct of EPA standards and automakers cutting costs. Hopefully we can agree on that.
Both of mine - from your plant - have very nice paint jobs just like my Yukon did all 9 years we had it … None of them having orange peel - which Trav has posted another point of view on …

Parked next to a Jeep Cherokee and a Dodge Durango at two different locations this afternoon; don't know what model years. Both were black and both had orange peel paint on the doors and rear quarters. The rear bumper covers looked OK, though.

The ones I have noticed most are the dark color Dodge Ram trucks. Entire sides are orange peel. At least its uniform.
Yes, specifically the Ram trucks. So bad it actually looks like a $299 single stage Maaco job. Really.

Yes, specifically the Ram trucks. So bad it actually looks like a $299 single stage Maaco job. Really.
There used to be a Maaco in Palo Alto, CA. Everyone took their cars there to get painted, only because the guy shooting the paint had a rep around the Bay Area. People followed him where ever he moved on to

Both of mine - from your plant - have very nice paint jobs just like my Yukon did all 9 years we had it … None of them having orange peel - which Trav has posted another point of view on …
That is good to hear!

Reminds me years ago a friend has a body shop and a X5 comes in for collision repair and he has to paint one side. Customer is pissed he could match factory orange peel- his side was how the vehicle should have come from factory- like glass.

I run a body shop. Japanese companies are having much more clear coat delamination issues than domestic vehicles, Honda being the worst next to some Toyota colors (Toyota 040 white peels off in sheets). It used to be the other way around. Honda paint is notoriously thin to the point I can see through the base coat to the sealer/primer. It's a pain when trying to blend a color, I usually end up setting up whole side of the car for color just to get good results.
As far as texture or peel, some vehicles (such as the latest Jeep Wrangler) are using aluminum door skins, which are flat and have little to no body lines. These panels are wavy and almost look like the house of mirrors at the circus! The peel is intentional, it helps to hide stamping imperfections.

parked next to a new Tahoe the other day, the orange peel was almost as bad as the spray painted van on the other side of it. my grandpa had an 89 Mercedes with the most beautiful black paint i ever did see. it didn't run so he used it as a shelf for motorcycle parts

Back