Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

Hybrid is an excellent stop-gap measure. Toyota seems to have nearly perfected the market and it is very reliable. The eCVT in the Prius is extremely reliable, because it is very simple.

Start /stop is fine but Wisconsin will charge you an extra $75 hybrid fee if they figure out your vehicle has it. (I have two identical cars one is charged the fee the other isn’t, state really needs to be sued on this nonsense)

I’ve never seen the point in start stop since my manual cars were always engine off if I wasn’t accelerating , never had a starter fail on anything but my 1982 diesel.

I’ve always hated push button start, military has had them since the 70’s all total garbage for more than one reason.
Give me an old key and tumblr with no immobilizer any day over a push button start which can brick your car when coorsion damages the immobilizer or it’s related wiring.

A $75 annual fee for a hybrid doesn't seem too hard to swallow...definitely saving more than that on gas taxes which is the point of implementing the fee...everyone has to pay for the roads somehow.

Start /stop is fine but Wisconsin will charge you an extra $75 hybrid fee if they figure out your vehicle has it. (I have two identical cars one is charged the fee the other isn’t, state really needs to be sued on this nonsense)

I’ve never seen the point in start stop since my manual cars were always engine off if I wasn’t accelerating , never had a starter fail on anything but my 1982 diesel.

I’ve always hated push button start, military has had them since the 70’s all total garbage for more than one reason.
Give me an old key and tumblr with no immobilizer any day over a push button start which can brick your car when coorsion damages the immobilizer or it’s related wiring.

As if there weren't enough taxes...

So to the fact a truck had to have a starter replaced when it had... checks notes... 135,000 miles on it. Guess I'm wondering how this is any different than the non start stop trucks that have their starters replaced?

I've never had to replace a starter. The last car I got rid of was 25 years old and had 262K miles on it and went to the junkyard with it's original starter on it.

I think start/stop would be a lot less annoying if there were a ~15 second delay before the engine stops.
That way, it won't shut off when you pause for a couple seconds at a stop sign or parallel park etc.
Are some of them already like this?

A $75 annual fee for a hybrid doesn't seem too hard to swallow...definitely saving more than that on gas taxes which is the point of implementing the fee...everyone has to pay for the roads somehow.

It's insane to apply a hybrid tax on a non hybrid that has auto stop/start though... And probably insane to tax someone trying to lower his CO2 footprint aswell.

I think start/stop would be a lot less annoying if there were a ~15 second delay before the engine stops.
That way, it won't shut off when you pause for a couple seconds at a stop sign or parallel park etc.
Are some of them already like this?

on fiats it depends how hard you press the brakes. A light press, just to keep you stationary won't engage the system.

After I left WM this morning I stopped at McDonald's to get me a $1 large iced tea. While waiting in one of the 2 drive thru lanes there was a GMC SUV in the lane next to me. This was the 1st vehicle I have ever seen/heard with that engine start/stop gizmo. I sure hope the starter has been built accordingly to withstand all of the starting it will be put through.

This is old tech, BMW has had it for almost 15 years. Does not seem to make a difference on starter life.

This is old tech, BMW has had it for almost 15 years. Does not seem to make a difference on starter life.
Always thought of “technology“ as applied science … This one I don’t get, FCA hid another battery in my 2020 JLU for this nuisance ?

A number of states are looking into taxing by miles driven versus a fuel tax. That way EV owners would theoretically help pay for the roads they use.

The sticking point is the issue of interstate travel.

Exactly right. I live in IL, but most of my miles are in MO. But Illinois wants that revenue because folks like me buy gas in MO for $0.25-$0.40 less per gallon due to the difference in taxes.

Illinois has both the excise (per gallon) tax and then charges, IIRC, 6.25% sales tax as well.

MO, not so much.

Similar stations, a local Moto Mart is $2.199/gallon a mile and a half away.

Just over the state line at I270 and Riverview Blvd the same gas is 1.899 or $0.30/gallon cheaper.

So high tax states like IL with vast adjacency to neighboring low tax states want to recapture that lost revenue.

It's real money to a consumer as when gas prices are low, the fuel is between 10 and 15% more expensive in IL. Even small cars like my Mazda3 and our Rav4, with their roughly 15 gallon tanks can cost $3-$5 more to fill up.

I've spent $4283 on fuel in my Mazda3 over the course of 3 years. If I had to pay 10% more, that's real money over time. Three or four really nice dinners or a weekend away money.

The roads here in IL are not really any better than MO, so there is that as well.

Not looking to make this political, just pointing out the reality on the ground here.

A number of states are looking into taxing by miles driven versus a fuel tax. That way EV owners would theoretically help pay for the roads they use.

The sticking point is the issue of interstate travel.

That delay would certainly help. This is what I found most annoying about driving start/stop equipped cars and trucks. Parking lots are a treat, multiple start/stop's before getting into a parking spot.

Back