Engine Start/Stop Vehicles

The start buttons have been reliable, more so than the fobs... and a WHOLE LOT more than the electric parking brake buttons. Replacing those are a near daily experience...

So my point is, if a button is reliable for 1 brand, the button doing the same thing on another brand might not be. And maybe the button a few inches away is the total opposite...

Sure, and the same goes for lock cylinders and the like. GM had major issues there, Ford didn't as an example.

That's Ohms law and when working on car electrics it's THE law. Gets a bit more complicated for AC but generally also true there.

to use this in the starter example. Say your battery has 12V and the starter draws 100 amps. (1.2 kw starter) . That means the starter has 0.12 ohms resistance of it's own. With that extra 0.1 ohm resistance there, current drops to 12v/0.22 ohm or 54 amps. And voltage splits over both resistors so your 1.2 kW starter is only seeing 6.54V... 6.54V x 54 amps = 353 watt... or just over 1/4th rated power.
Appreciate it. I had thought of maybe doing an electrical class at the community college to get a better understanding of the electrical systems and everything. I mostly understand what you wrote but some of the more advanced problems I usually need the most guidance with.

No you need to break it down to a series of resistors. Know how voltage and current behaves with how the resistors are arranged and you can break down complex problems. You will also learn yourself to measure meaningful voltages to discover losses.

All you really need is the basics, but you need to understand that well and not just "know it". 90% of electrical issues can be found just from looking at the wiring diagram and examining the behaviour of the problematic item. Measuring then just confirms your theory.

Q1:

Doesn't start/stop add to fuel dilution? Computer playing with air/fuel ratio?

Q2:
Also the parts that are kind of in the hydrodynamic lubrication zone and moving/floating have to stop and go thru that process again? i.e. more wear? No?

Just asking. please don't get excited! lol

If I ever buy a car like that, it will be disabled. If no option to disable ... I move to the next car.

Start/Stop and DI engines are the two most annoying things next to packages that require a chainsaw to open.

there's not much effort involved in a barrel either, unscrew 3-5 philips screws, turn key to 2nd pos, push button and barrel slides out. If the key can't be turned, it's a complete assembly and needs unplugging 2 sets of wires and 2 breaker bolts. 10 minutes extra really.

Tearing down half a dash is more complicated AND more likely to show after.

Adds a lot of internal engine wear from my days in the Dynos. Had to update the bearings in the Pentastar to get it to pass testing. As an OCD engine design guy, I shut it off. Saw too many bad things at the teardown reviews and on the CMM's. Screw the starter...I felt for those poor bearing surfaces! haha

That is the major wear point when using these systems, this was the reason as I understand it for specially coated bearings. This is IMHO an agenda driven piece of worthless over complex trash technology and destined to go the way of automatic seat belts with no start feature which were another agenda driven tech.

That is the major wear point when using these systems, this was the reason as I understand it for specially coated bearings. This is IMHO an agenda driven piece of worthless over complex trash technology and destined to go the way of automatic seat belts with no start feature which were another agenda driven tech.
Well said. No matter how well people might think the system upgrades made to accommodate the start/stop system an engine is better left running than shut down and restarting every single time a car comes to stop, even if it is only for a few seconds. Screw that, if I owned one I'd let the engine run. My bet is after 100K miles I'd have a hell of a lot less wear than the same car driven the same way using stop/start. I don't believe for one minute that the technology is better for the engine, sorry no way.

My 2018 Jeep has it but I almost always turn it off unless I forget to turn it off
Then I do real fast when the engine shuts down

Well said. No matter how well people might think the system upgrades made to accommodate the start/stop system an engine is better left running than shut down and restarting every single time a car comes to stop, even if it is only for a few seconds. Screw that, if I owned one I'd let the engine run. My bet is after 100K miles I'd have a hell of a lot less wear than the same car driven the same way using stop/start. I don't believe for one minute that the technology is better for the engine, sorry no way.

Stop/Start systems aren’t as potentially damaging as cold starts, though, simply because the engine isn’t cold. Not only are the engines at operating temperature before the stop/start system begins to work, the vehicles also use electric water pumps to maintain optimal engine temperature when they’re stopped. If the engine is off long enough to reduce engine temperature significantly, the engine will automatically restart.

Secondly, while the engine’s oiling system isn’t completely pressurized as it when it’s running, the oil in the passages hasn’t been allowed to completely run down into the oil pan.

Finally, suppliers are addressing wear with dry lubricants on components like main engine bearings. Engine bearings are typically designed to withstand 100,000 start cycles. New bearings are now in use that are designed to withstand 250,000 to 300,000 start cycles. Federal Mogul, for example, has been incorporating polymers on the connecting rod bearings for cars with auto-stop/start systems to reduce friction when oil isn’t pumping.

Stop/Start systems aren’t as potentially damaging as cold starts, though, simply because the engine isn’t cold. Not only are the engines at operating temperature before the stop/start system begins to work, the vehicles also use electric water pumps to maintain optimal engine temperature when they’re stopped. If the engine is off long enough to reduce engine temperature significantly, the engine will automatically restart.

Secondly, while the engine’s oiling system isn’t completely pressurized as it when it’s running, the oil in the passages hasn’t been allowed to completely run down into the oil pan.

Finally, suppliers are addressing wear with dry lubricants on components like main engine bearings. Engine bearings are typically designed to withstand 100,000 start cycles. New bearings are now in use that are designed to withstand 250,000 to 300,000 start cycles. Federal Mogul, for example, has been incorporating polymers on the connecting rod bearings for cars with auto-stop/start systems to reduce friction when oil isn’t pumping.

I'm familiar with the changes. I'll go with what the experts here have to say. IIRC @OIL_UDDER actually worked for Chrysler on the Pentastar engine team. Imagine if you allowed the stop/start designed engine to just run instead of the constant stopping and starting. Less annoyance, less chance of a malfunction, and you might just have an engine that can easily last a lifetime w/o a rebuild. ;)
Adds a lot of internal engine wear from my days in the Dynos. Had to update the bearings in the Pentastar to get it to pass testing. As an OCD engine design guy, I shut it off. Saw too many bad things at the teardown reviews and on the CMM's. Screw the starter...I felt for those poor bearing surfaces! haha

I'm familiar with the changes. I'll go with what the experts here have to say. IIRC @OIL_UDDER actually worked for Chrysler on the Pentastar engine team. Imagine if you allowed the stop/start designed engine to just run instead of the constant stopping and starting. Less annoyance, less chance of a malfunction, and you might just have an engine that can easily last a lifetime w/o a rebuild. ;)

There are many other things that will break before a start/stop motor-IMHO.

This topic is just a strings of "new tech" topics (that really isn't "new tech" anymore) that the guys on here are deathly afraid of.

One bad motor design by a company-doesn't make an example.

There are many other things that will break before a start/stop motor-IMHO.

This topic is just a strings of "new tech" topics (that really isn't "new tech" anymore) that the guys on here are deathly afraid of.

One bad motor design by a company-doesn't make an example.
I don't think anyone is deathly afraid of it, I just think it's a stupid idea, and something I'd rather not have rammed down my throat as some great technology. As long as I can easily disarm it, I'll own it when the time comes. Reading through almost ten pages here, I'm in good company. Maybe if I lived in an area where traffic was not like Long Island or NYC I'd feel differently. But when a 20 mile commute to NYC can take me 2 hours or more, [sometimes a lot more] stop/start that can't be disabled easily, is a big no thanks! And a problem waiting to happen.

I don't think anyone is deathly afraid of it, I just think it's a stupid idea, and something I'd rather not have rammed down my throat as some great technology. As long as I can easily disarm it, I'll own it when the time comes. Reading through almost ten pages here, I'm in good company. Maybe if I lived in an area where traffic was not like Long Island or NYC I'd feel differently. But when a 20 mile commute to NYC can take me 2 hours or more, [sometimes a lot more] stop/start that can't be disabled easily, is a big no thanks! And a problem waiting to happen.

Yes....on BITOG you would be in good company. This same type thread has been repeated even with safety features that save lives such as collision avoidance, ABS systems, and the like. All these are/were "shoved down our throats". Of course- stop/start is "only good" for saving resources-not a high priority for some.

Last edited:
Yes....on BITOG you would be in good company. This same type thread has been repeated even with safety features that save lives such as collision avoidance, ABS systems, and the like. All these are/were "shoved down our throats". Of course- stop/start is "only good" for saving resources-not a high priority for some.

One can go back through the history to see all the features that came along but had no input from consumers. The automatic transmission, automatic choke, and a list as long as my arm. Some even fade away and we make jokes of them like the push button transmission. Now it has made a comeback in the past several years. Nobody makes the jokes anymore.

Remember when power brakes and power steering were the latest thing?

One can go back through the history to see all the features that came along but had no input from consumers. The automatic transmission, automatic choke, and a list as long as my arm. Some even fade away and we make jokes of them like the push button transmission. Now it has made a comeback in the past several years. Nobody makes the jokes anymore.

Remember when power brakes and power steering were the latest thing?

As a matter of fact I do. I think the kicking and screaming on here is because many will not be able to work on these systems-and the BITOG special (high mile beaters) could be less disable because of the complications of high mile ownership of vehicles equipped with these systems.

Back